HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:44 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,285 Posts
So long as they send you the MiG board then the gyros should be calibrated correctly, leaving you to just drop it in.

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:42 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,910 Posts
Thanks for the good video, Bwoollia! Sounds like a fair, unambiguous review.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:15 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
Awhile back HH sent me a new board for my Mig(for battery connector that pulled off). Will I need their programmable USB cord to make the AS3X system function when I replace the board?
No you will not need to program it, however There is no way to verify which programming is loaded on the board. The Sbach3D and Mig share the same board same part#) so you might have sbach programming on the board.

The USB programmer is cheap and there is now softare that lets you fine tune the gains on all 3 axis individually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Thanks for the good video, Bwoollia! Sounds like a fair, unambiguous review.
Sounds exactly like what I though of them link here. The Mig, even with less raw power, has a slightly higher top speed than the F-86. Probably due to the better airfoil.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Last edited by kalmon; Feb 04, 2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:36 AM
Joined Feb 2012
108 Posts
Great video Bwoolia. It appears that the F86 is faster. I get the thrust to weight ratio difference, but is it actually faster?
AV8TRX is offline Find More Posts by AV8TRX
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:38 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8TRX View Post
Great video Bwoolia. It appears that the F86 is faster. I get the thrust to weight ratio difference, but is it actually faster?
I have flown my stock mig at the same time as someone flying a stock F-86. They are near identical is level speed however the mig holds energy better and is very slightly faster out of a dive.

-Brian
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:54 AM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8TRX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I have flown my stock mig at the same time as someone flying a stock F-86. They are near identical is level speed however the mig holds energy better and is very slightly faster out of a dive.

-Brian
My thoughts exactly. I really didn't notice a significant speed difference. The undercambered wing of the F-86 is likely more draggy than the Mig's solid wing. The larger, heavier Mig holds its energy better but doesn't climb as well as the lighter F-86. Without measuring actual thrust or efflux, my gut feel is that the F-86 has more power which allows it to outclimb the Mig, but the extra drag keeps the speed in check.

The precision of the Mig is very nice, but I really like the "big air" flying you can do with the F-86. Honestly, they're both great models.
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:15 PM
Joined Feb 2012
108 Posts
Thank you
AV8TRX is offline Find More Posts by AV8TRX
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:36 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
My thoughts exactly. I really didn't notice a significant speed difference. The undercambered wing of the F-86 is likely more draggy than the Mig's solid wing. The larger, heavier Mig holds its energy better but doesn't climb as well as the lighter F-86. Without measuring actual thrust or efflux, my gut feel is that the F-86 has more power which allows it to outclimb the Mig, but the extra drag keeps the speed in check.

The precision of the Mig is very nice, but I really like the "big air" flying you can do with the F-86. Honestly, they're both great models.
If you want the best of both worlds (and dont mind a shorter motor life) put a tiny heatsink on the MIG's ESC FETs and Voltage Regulator and limit your throttle travel to 80% then you can usually run 3S packs! The other more involved option is so use an external ESC and and AEO Fan and a tiny 16000kv motor. 1:1 t:w on 2S! see the mod thread for info.

-Brian
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:16 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
where are people getting these tiny heat sinks?
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:55 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
where are people getting these tiny heat sinks?
PM Erkq here on the forums, he has a source for them.

-Brian
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:18 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,060 Posts
Winds are down.

Need to set up my limbo pole....

(Video to follow?)
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:09 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Winds are down.

Need to set up my limbo pole....

(Video to follow?)
YES!!!

I hate winter. We've been having winds of 10-30 mph non stop. Yes, I know the Mig could handle it, but when it's 30-40 degrees AND windy, it's just not much fun.

haven't even flown the little Sbach in the yard in a month. COME ON SUMMER!!!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:49 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
YES!!!

I hate winter. We've been having winds of 10-30 mph non stop. Yes, I know the Mig could handle it, but when it's 30-40 degrees AND windy, it's just not much fun.

haven't even flown the little Sbach in the yard in a month. COME ON SUMMER!!!
14 degrees and snowing here. It has been a light year for snow here, we've only got about 18" on the ground and a total of 31.5" fell in January alone. At this rate I'll be able to dig a tunnel in the snow and fly through it.

-Brian
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:01 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,768 Posts
+17 F & snowing here. Feels like a heat-wave!

Haven't been able to fly the MiG since before we got the 1.5 feet of snow back in early December. It's been over a month since I've flown anything outdoors, and that was a 5-minute 130X flight from the deck. Last time I flew fixed-wing outdoors was before Christmas, when I got in a few ROS flights in the yard with the CC on floats. Since then, it's been too cold, too windy, too rainy, too icy, too snowy - or a combination thereof. Given that we lost our indoor spot, it looks like I won't be getting in much stick-time on anything but the MV & nCPX until spring - aside from maybe a few ROS flights with the CC & a few spins around the yard with the 130X now & then.

For 25 years, I simply accepted the fact that I'd get very little stick-time in during the winter. I got into micros when the original Sukhoi 26m came out in '09 & flew it at the sports center that winter. That was my first experience with indoor flying - aside from flying the mSR around the house. After just three winters of flying indoors, I'm going through 'RC withdrawals' because we lost our indoor spot. Funny how that works....

Lately, I've been satisfying my RC jones by DSing at the DS Ridgeline site in RF 6.5. With the default wind settings, I am able to get the Mistral 3m sailplane up to nearly 400 MPH without breaking or crashing it. I know that DSing in the sim is much, much easier than it is in real life. Nevertheless, it definitely keeps one's reflexes sharp during the off-season! I'd love to try it for real someday, but we're a bit shy on DS sites around here. However, DSing in the sim has perked my interest in getting back into fast planes. It's been over 10 years since I've had anything that flies over 100 MPH. I feel the need - the need...for speed!

Top Gun "Need for Speed" (0 min 15 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 06, 2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:25 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Nose Ring

Reference is made to the "parkflyer nose ring" for the MiG. I recall seeing photo's of it. Can anyone advise where to got one or more of these, or is it a DYI affair?

Thanks.

FWIW: I am coming up on 100 flights with the mini MiG, and the nose is still............recognizable!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac