SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
24 Posts
Question
Belt 250 V4 Plastic Head

When operating my helicopter, the tail rotor belt flips over on the drive pulley so that the "nobby" face turns out rather than engaging with the indentations in the pulley. I can manually flip the belt to the correct side, but it will flip back during operation. What can/should I do about this?

The belt is not loose (too tight?). The belt path to the tail rotor is not exactly 90 degrees to the main shaft, but I know of no possible adjustment.

Art
Art_P is offline Find More Posts by Art_P
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:52 PM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_P View Post
When operating my helicopter, the tail rotor belt flips over on the drive pulley so that the "nobby" face turns out rather than engaging with the indentations in the pulley. I can manually flip the belt to the correct side, but it will flip back during operation. What can/should I do about this?

The belt is not loose (too tight?). The belt path to the tail rotor is not exactly 90 degrees to the main shaft, but I know of no possible adjustment.

Art
I don't have an immediate answer for this; let me ask the factory when they return from their big hobby expo in china after April 11

Max
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Feb 2012
24 Posts
After the belt problem first occurred, I had to replace the main gear and checked/reset the belt routing at that time. The problem reoccurred as indicated in the post. Since then, the tail boom was damaged from a blade strike and I disassembled and straightened the boom. Since reinstalling the belt I have flown it once without the reversal problem occuring.

Art
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:41 AM
Joined Dec 2008
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_P View Post
After the belt problem first occurred, I had to replace the main gear and checked/reset the belt routing at that time. The problem reoccurred as indicated in the post. Since then, the tail boom was damaged from a blade strike and I disassembled and straightened the boom. Since reinstalling the belt I have flown it once without the reversal problem occuring.

Art
Sounds great. the problem might happen if the belt gets a "kink" in it or the belt has an inadvertent additional twist inside the tail boom or the tail boom has been bent causing the belt to be pinched or rubbing. Glad you got it working correctly.

Regards
Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
24 Posts
[QUOTE=Parkflying;21241184]the problem might happen if the belt gets a "kink" in it or the belt has an inadvertent additional twist inside the tail boom or the tail boom has been bent causing the belt to be pinched or rubbing. QUOTE]

If that was the case, it happened at the factory since the problem started before any damage occurred. Then it continued after replacing the main gear (during which the belt routing was checked). Anyway, it has now stayed in place thru many flights since the last repairs, and I'm hoping to never observe this condition again. It may be that I have a little more tension on the belt than before.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:52 AM
Joined Dec 2008
964 Posts
[QUOTE=Art_P;21249137]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkflying View Post
the problem might happen if the belt gets a "kink" in it or the belt has an inadvertent additional twist inside the tail boom or the tail boom has been bent causing the belt to be pinched or rubbing. QUOTE]

If that was the case, it happened at the factory since the problem started before any damage occurred. Then it continued after replacing the main gear (during which the belt routing was checked). Anyway, it has now stayed in place thru many flights since the last repairs, and I'm hoping to never observe this condition again. It may be that I have a little more tension on the belt than before.
Yes lack of tension can allow the belt to twist over itself under certain conditions; as we bench test each helicopter before we ship, we have, in some cases, had to increase the tension on the belt

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
Site Sponsor