HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 07, 2009, 03:06 PM
http://www.aircraft-world
NipponDave's Avatar
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
EF site says 4.5lbs. I would guess that it could be made a bit lighter with Zs3025 and 3S lipo... Should be good, imo.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkill2 View Post
I looked up that airplane before posting. Flying weight is 6.25-6.75 lbs. Are you sure a 3025-08 will be enough? I run a 3025-08 in my pitts with a 12x6 prop on a 4S and pull 80a peak. A 13x8 on a 3S on the same plane pulls close to 90a @ WOT on a Hyperion CX,

I'm usually wrong but, I was just wondering.
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2009, 03:56 PM
Registered User
MR-STI's Avatar
Darling Downs Qld Australia
Joined Oct 2003
747 Posts
Yea the reason i would like to use both 6 and 8s is that i will be able to use existing packs. 6s would be for 3d and 8s for sport flying. Do you think that is a good idead or not??. And what about 3 blade props, are they any better/worse than the props you have suggested.

And are Xoar wooden props different to APC plastic props in regarding to amp draw and spool time. What props did you use for your data?.

And what props could i run on 7s, could i stilll get away with the same props as a 6s setup?.

Thanks again for your help.

Nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave View Post
You could use the Zs4025-14 in the Python on 6S or 8S. On 6S, you would want 16x8 to 17x8 (or 16x10) depending on the pack performance. On 8S you would need to prop down to something around 14x7. That would make it fly like a powerful glow engine, with a pretty wide speed envelope.

If you haven't bought the packs yet, one of our 7S packs may be an ideal way to go for the power-hungry Python, btw...

David
MR-STI is online now Find More Posts by MR-STI
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2009, 04:43 PM
Registered User
Buzzkill2's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave View Post
EF site says 4.5lbs. I would guess that it could be made a bit lighter with Zs3025 and 3S lipo... Should be good, imo.

D
Dang I looked at the same page. Don't know where I got 6.25-6.75lb. Must be getting old, senile or both. I stand corrected. Sorry about that.

If it was me though, I'd still go with the 4020 and use the existing 5S packs but, I tend to over power my models a lot.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2009, 11:06 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2006
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave View Post
The Zs3025-08 on 3S with 14x7 will peak at 60A~70A depending on the battery pack performance and controller type and settings. That setup has been used by a lot of people with our 40e Extra 260e, so should be quite good with your Yak for a light 3D setup.

David
David, thanks i'll go for the 3025-08 then. Would the ZS30 backmount install on the Z40 backmount foorprint on the firewall or new holes would be required?

Buzzkill2, with a 3S setup and ZS30 motor i am aiming to make the yak a few hundred grams lighter so even if the motor has slightly less power it should be good. I am willing to experiment on this. Also, if the ZS3025-08 on 3S can turn the 14x7 at close to the same RPMs as the Z4020-B is turning now on the 5S setup it should have good power.
drstillpatient is offline Find More Posts by drstillpatient
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2009, 12:12 AM
Registered User
Buzzkill2's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drstillpatient View Post
David, thanks i'll go for the 3025-08 then. Would the ZS30 backmount install on the Z40 backmount foorprint on the firewall or new holes would be required?

Buzzkill2, with a 3S setup and ZS30 motor i am aiming to make the yak a few hundred grams lighter so even if the motor has slightly less power it should be good. I am willing to experiment on this. Also, if the ZS3025-08 on 3S can turn the 14x7 at close to the same RPMs as the Z4020-B is turning now on the 5S setup it should have good power.
The 3025-08 is a phenomenal motor IMO. It's versatility is a huge plus for me. I still don't know why I read the weight on your plane as 6.25 instead of 4.25. I have one installed in a 50oz model and it has way more power than is required. It'll hover at 1/2 throttle. That model is on a 4S with a 12x6. I'm going to try a 3S setup on it with a 14" prop to get some numbers in the next couple days. The current setup is 384 watts per pound (fresh 4S G3 VX @ WOT) which is I believe qualifies as more than enough power.

I would think you could easily add another 16oz or so to my setup without issue. I still don't know why I read 6.25 as opposed to 4.25 but, a couple pounds would change things a bit more than one.

What's the Kv on the 4020 your currently running?
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2009, 08:37 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2006
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkill2 View Post
The 3025-08 is a phenomenal motor IMO. It's versatility is a huge plus for me. I still don't know why I read the weight on your plane as 6.25 instead of 4.25. I have one installed in a 50oz model and it has way more power than is required. It'll hover at 1/2 throttle. That model is on a 4S with a 12x6. I'm going to try a 3S setup on it with a 14" prop to get some numbers in the next couple days. The current setup is 384 watts per pound (fresh 4S G3 VX @ WOT) which is I believe qualifies as more than enough power.

I would think you could easily add another 16oz or so to my setup without issue. I still don't know why I read 6.25 as opposed to 4.25 but, a couple pounds would change things a bit more than one.

What's the Kv on the 4020 your currently running?
The Z4020-B is 570Kv. I would be very interested in the numbers you get. If possible, please also get RPMs.
drstillpatient is offline Find More Posts by drstillpatient
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:33 AM
Registered User
Buzzkill2's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drstillpatient View Post
The Z4020-B is 570Kv. I would be very interested in the numbers you get. If possible, please also get RPMs.
Will do. I went to my LHS last night and they didn't have a 14x7 in stock. Biggest prop I have in my box is a 13x8. I can run some numbers on that, it should be close to what a 14x7 would produce I'd think.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2009, 10:51 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2006
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drstillpatient View Post
David, thanks i'll go for the 3025-08 then. Would the ZS30 backmount install on the Z40 backmount foorprint on the firewall or new holes would be required?
NipponDave, any info on this? thanks
drstillpatient is offline Find More Posts by drstillpatient
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2009, 10:55 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2006
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkill2 View Post
Will do. I went to my LHS last night and they didn't have a 14x7 in stock. Biggest prop I have in my box is a 13x8. I can run some numbers on that, it should be close to what a 14x7 would produce I'd think.
Yup, that should be pretty close to 14x7.
drstillpatient is offline Find More Posts by drstillpatient
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:01 PM
JettPilot's Avatar
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkill2 View Post
I looked up that airplane before posting. Flying weight is 6.25-6.75 lbs. Are you sure a 3025-08 will be enough? I run a 3025-08 in my pitts with a 12x6 prop on a 4S and pull 80a peak. A 13x8 on a 3S on the same plane pulls close to 90a @ WOT on a Hyperion CX,

I'm usually wrong but, I was just wondering.
Just rememeber a rule of thumb, try for 200 watts per pound is a good number to shoot for if you want a really fun airplane

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:18 AM
Registered Abuser
clintski's Avatar
Purf, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jan 2008
1,005 Posts
Here's my ZS3025-08 on a 3S4400.

Side by side comparison is
14x7APC-e on left and
14x7XOAR wood prop on right.

Much less amps and more RPM with the XOAR - pulls hard and I use it for 3D in a 40e EXTRA
clintski is offline Find More Posts by clintski
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 07:41 PM
200 mph club
r/cmark's Avatar
United States, AZ, Fort Mohave
Joined Mar 2005
869 Posts
Hi Dave,

I am thinking about a HP-GS3032-4 for a Enigma F5B plane from soaring usa. What do you think?
When will the HP-GS3032-4 be available? Can I pre-order one?

Thanks,
Mark
r/cmark is offline Find More Posts by r/cmark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FrSky Taranis misc stuff
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 01:05 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2008
5 Posts
Dave,

Just interested in why you would suggest 17*8 (16*10) as your upper limit on a Zs4025-14. By the data sheets these props are roughly 1300W and 60A on 6S where as the specs on the motor are max 90A 2100W..

I run this motor in a Pitts Model 12 (almost identical to the Seb Python) with an 18*8 APC on 6S.. and it works fine at approx 69A 1450W.

Just wondering if your suggested set-ups run a de-rating factor for some reason? In this example only 60% of what the motor I capable of…

Oh and why I have your attention what would you suggest as a “normal” operating temperature range for the Zs motors, lets say on a nice 25 degree day.

As in “Do not exceed… degrees!” The only thing I seem to have read is the motors have 200c magnets but what does this mean in the real world??

Thanks

jt


Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave View Post
You could use the Zs4025-14 in the Python on 6S or 8S. On 6S, you would want 16x8 to 17x8 (or 16x10) depending on the pack performance. On 8S you would need to prop down to something around 14x7. That would make it fly like a powerful glow engine, with a pretty wide speed envelope.

If you haven't bought the packs yet, one of our 7S packs may be an ideal way to go for the power-hungry Python, btw...

David
sirrocco is offline Find More Posts by sirrocco
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 06:33 PM
Registered User
Buzzkill2's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
Just rememeber a rule of thumb, try for 200 watts per pound is a good number to shoot for if you want a really fun airplane

Mike
Thanks! My 50oz. Pitts has 1300 watts so I guess It has enough power
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 06:55 PM
Registered User
Buzzkill2's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
My 3025-08 is hitting 1300+ watts on a 40C pack with a 12x6 4S (2650mAh) and peaking at 86a. Still don't have a 14x7 but, I'll get one soon.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale For Sale - New Brushless motors forsale, Hyperion, mega, eflite stealthy Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 8 Dec 31, 2006 08:54 AM
New Hyperion Z30 Series motors from ACW Zimbo Power Systems 104 Aug 21, 2006 01:11 PM
NEW!!! electronicmodel motors and esc !!!! fjhdavid Electric Heli Talk 9 Jan 22, 2002 08:51 AM
New Brushless motors check it out Eco8gator Electric Heli Talk 5 Nov 06, 2001 02:50 AM
Simpro new Brushless motors chrisc Electric Plane Talk 0 Jun 12, 2001 11:36 PM