HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2010, 02:01 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,459 Posts
Help!
advice for Bell Head upgrade

I ordered a Bell Head upgrade for my 4#6S and the part apparently won't fit on the main rotor shaft. It's too tight. Are we supposed to use a press or vice to press the part on?
shastamike is online now Find More Posts by shastamike
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2010, 02:21 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
996 Posts
i bought this part also,i didnt receive it yet.
shastamaike is this the one you got
http://cgi.ebay.com/walkera-4-6-S-BE...item3a5bca2e2d

keep me in the loop
celm is offline Find More Posts by celm
Old Jul 05, 2010, 02:28 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,459 Posts
Yes, this is the same upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celm View Post
i bought this part also,i didnt receive it yet.
shastamaike is this the one you got
http://cgi.ebay.com/walkera-4-6-S-BE...item3a5bca2e2d

keep me in the loop
Yes, this is the same upgrade. Please let me know if you got it onto the shaft as there was no way mine was going to fit without a vice or (hammer? Yikes).
Old Jul 05, 2010, 02:53 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Yes, this is the same upgrade. Please let me know if you got it onto the shaft as there was no way mine was going to fit without a vice or (hammer? Yikes).
have you attemepted yet again?
Old Jul 05, 2010, 03:52 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,459 Posts
No...like I said, there was no way it was going to fit on the shaft.
Old Jul 05, 2010, 04:02 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,743 Posts
That's a CB100 or CB180 head. There's no way you want to put that on a 4#6. Didn't you notice the lack of flybar weights and 45 offset? "Bell head upgrade"??? You might as well just drop a brick on your heli.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 05, 2010, 04:15 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
996 Posts
thats the same head thats on this 4#6S with a bell head
http://www.walkera.com/en1/particula...n=Z14%236SBELL

whats wrong with going with a bellhead and 45deg flybar?
Old Jul 05, 2010, 05:17 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,147 Posts
I think what he's getting at is that it's not really an "upgrade". It should make the 4#6 easier to fly, if that's what you want, but it'll also make it less maneuverable compared to the stock hiller head.

I don't know why you're having so much trouble with the shaft. Did you buy an extra shaft just for this build? Or are you using the one that came with the heli? It seems unlikely, but maybe there is a slight size difference. Perhaps you should just pick up a main shaft specifically designed for that head...

http://www.chinesejade.com/walkera4_6.htm

Search for HM-4#6BE-Z-08

Dan
Dan203 is offline Find More Posts by Dan203
Old Jul 05, 2010, 09:47 PM
The Little Red Dot
Joined Oct 2006
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
I ordered a Bell Head upgrade for my 4#6S and the part apparently won't fit on the main rotor shaft. It's too tight. Are we supposed to use a press or vice to press the part on?
I had the same problem. In the end I used a drill bit to widen the hole slightly so that it fits the shaft. Got my bell-head upgrade from chinese jade as well.
calvinlo is offline Find More Posts by calvinlo
Old Jul 05, 2010, 10:04 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinlo View Post
I had the same problem. In the end I used a drill bit to widen the hole slightly so that it fits the shaft. Got my bell-head upgrade from chinese jade as well.
how do you like the upgrade?
Old Jul 05, 2010, 10:09 PM
The Little Red Dot
Joined Oct 2006
90 Posts
At least now it flies...

But comparing it with my CB100, I do notice that it is not as agile. Sluggish is the word to describe it. Greater tendency to lose altitude when turning.
Old Jul 05, 2010, 10:17 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinlo View Post
At least now it flies...

But comparing it with my CB100, I do notice that it is not as agile. Sluggish is the word to describe it. Greater tendency to lose altitude when turning.
so it was better off keeping it a 90de with the flybar paddles?
Old Jul 05, 2010, 10:29 PM
The Little Red Dot
Joined Oct 2006
90 Posts
As I've stated earlier, at least now it flies, and I can regularly land it with precision on very small areas. Whereas previously I just couldn't get it to hover - it just keep ramming into walls all over the place.

So IMHO, I think it is still worth it to replace the rotor head. but that's just my personal view. Hope it helps.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 12:07 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,147 Posts
For anyone else who is considering this change I would highly recommend a TechHead instead. It has a similar, although not as drastic, self stabilizing effect, howeve rit has almost instant cyclic response which make it perfect for flying in small spaces as it allows you to easily pull out of bad situations. I don't have a 4#6 bell to compare it too, but compared to my CB100 the 4#6 with TechHead is a lot more fun to fly. I just wish it was a tab bit smaller, which is why I bought a 4#3B and put a TechHead on it. However I'm having other issues with that unrelated to the TechHead which are preventing me from flying it.

Dan
Dan203 is offline Find More Posts by Dan203
Old Jul 06, 2010, 12:08 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,743 Posts
The 45 offset flybar design does not scale up well. It works moderately well in the CB100, but it's still a long way from learning to fly a conventional heli. The larger you scale it, the worse it gets. The 4#6S already has a 3 axis gyro. If your objective is just to have something real easy to fly, this is for you. If your objective is to learn to fly a heli, this is a step backward.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14