Old Mar 31, 2015, 06:32 AM
Find More Posts by jobinseattle
You'll just crash it...
Joined Nov 2014
419 Posts
Whoops!
FMS Piper J3 Cub V2

For your viewing pleasure. :-)

FMS Piper J3 Cub V2 my 1st, 2nd and final attempt to fly this plane....Total Destruction (5 min 24 sec)
jobinseattle is offline Find More Posts by jobinseattle
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2015, 07:10 AM
Find More Posts by Skipper Graham
Jack of all, master of none
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jan 2014
122 Posts
That. Was. Brutal. Man, that was hard to watch. Maybe consider one of the Hobby Zone planes with SAFE for your next plane?
Skipper Graham is offline Find More Posts by Skipper Graham
Old Mar 31, 2015, 07:20 AM
You'll just crash it...
Joined Nov 2014
419 Posts
I have a couple planes with SAFE and have flown a couple receiver ready planes before but for some reason I could not fly this plane. I checked and rechecked the controls over and over but I must have been missing something. Anyway I am glad it is gone. It is going out with the garbage this morning. lol
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
15,392 Posts
That looked very much like either reversed aileron controls, or serious lack of radio range.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:20 AM
You'll just crash it...
Joined Nov 2014
419 Posts
The first flight the ailerons were reversed but I fixed that. I use a DX6 radio and was using a 4 channel spectrum receiver.
Old Apr 01, 2015, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by shonmac
United States, NJ, Dunellen
Joined Aug 2014
1,127 Posts
Maybe too much throttle . I'm not sure Cubs need that amount of speed for take off.

My 800mm Sky raider would do that everytime . And then I hand launched it and basically the same thing happened. Then a few months later I just taxied it around with no intentions of flying( I was just trying to use up a battery).

So I gave it a tiny amount of throttle to taxi it around and up it went! I was shocked . I was sure this plane was never going to fly and there it was 150 ft in the air. Then the motor failed and it fell out of the sky probably from all the nose diving it suffered through .

This was last year in August. I have not touched it since then because I was tired of fixing it. But I think I am ready to give it a go once again. I know it will fly.

That was a nice looking Cub.
shonmac is online now Find More Posts by shonmac
Old Apr 02, 2015, 05:12 AM
Find More Posts by paultbg
Joined Jul 2012
222 Posts
@jobinseattle- no airplane need that kind of speed to take off and the Cub even less. If a plane need that speed to take off it's not a plane, it's a rock.

What you have experienced is called prop torque and that force will basically roll the plane if you do not counteract with the aileron. the bigger the speed , stronger the effect, specially on taking off.

two advices:
1. the best thing you can do is to find a tutor to teach you how to fly (buddy lead is the best).
2. next best thing is to find a long runaway. taxi the airplane along at different speeds increasing the speed every new line. that way you will see what is the speed where your plane will start to take off; make a note of the position of the throttle and next time when you want to take take off you will know from where to start.

Regards
paultbg is offline Find More Posts by paultbg
Old Apr 02, 2015, 05:18 AM
You'll just crash it...
Joined Nov 2014
419 Posts
Good to know, thanks. I am in a club and had some success flying other planes so I figured I could fly this. I can be a knucklehead and insist on trying to go faster than probably what I am ready for.