Old Aug 06, 2015, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by CurmudgeonAir
Numbly Thumbs Unite!
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Jul 2014
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatControl View Post
How do you handle control surfaces? Do you bevel those after adding the newsprint or do you separate them and rettach them after? I'm anxious to try your method since that Spitfire looks insanely good...
Cut all your bevels with the original paper on and then strip it and recover. Rudder, Elevator, and ailerons I cover separately. Lately I've been hinging those with tape first and then covering with glue and newsprint. That makes for a less noticeable tape hinge. Be sure to cover both sides at one time when dealing with single layer pieces. Let me know how all this works out for you.
CurmudgeonAir is offline Find More Posts by CurmudgeonAir
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2015, 09:20 PM
Find More Posts by WAPOW
Joined Jul 2015
6 Posts
Flite Test Upgrade by Ken and Terry on Stu's Channel (11 min 0 sec)

Ive built around twenty of the bloody wonder. Love em. Now im making my own versions. Hope you enjoy
WAPOW is offline Find More Posts by WAPOW
Old Aug 08, 2015, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by insomaniac45
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
777 Posts
Well. the day came, that my storch was not performing as she should

So i decided to take the 950kv motor from my old PZ BF109, and her 3 blade prop, made a permenant firewall, and mounted it to the storch,

along with the 2200mah 3s. and a 40a ESC. she has so much aerial authority, Wind, not a problem. weight, no issue, as she is no longer running the power pod, and with that huge motor up front it balances perfectly.

I will take a picture asap as to how it is mounted in there, but she flies so much better. It is not overpowered, but she will fly scale perfectly.

By far the best mod i have ever done
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
Old Aug 08, 2015, 06:24 PM
Find More Posts by verticalspark
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,160 Posts
Well either the kraken is cursed or Im an idiot....or both. I managed to rebuild it for the 4th time and in my lack of paying attention I build two right wings.

Although I did learn that lowes and home depot sell $tree from in much larger form so I am going to rebuild for a 5th time. But this time I ordered LEDs from hobbyking so it will glow

Adam
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
Old Aug 08, 2015, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by rainyday101
Rough Landing
United States, WI, Peshtigo
Joined Jun 2015
9 Posts
I have been out of RC for about 25 years and just got back in. Came from the thought train that all planes need to be made out of balsa. I have to teach my 3 kids to fly that are ages 6, 9, and 16. I came across the Tiny Trainer plans and the rest is history. I built my first Tiny Trainer per the plans. On the test flight I launched it and it climbed out straight as can be. What a great trainer. This original trainer has over 20 battery packs through it and is still flying! It has taken some tough crashes that required permanently gluing the motor pod in but is still flying.

On my second Tiny Trainer build I made a folding fuselage like the Flite Test plans only the fuse is on piece and is a bit larger with a permanently glued motor mount bulkhead. I also made the wing 6 inches longer. I made the fuse bigger with the permanent motor mount bulkhead so I could mount a Cobra 2206 on it with a prop saver. This one really flew like a dream! Unfortunately on the 5th battery pack my 9 year old tangled with an adult tree in a high speed dive! I am making a new fuselage for this one right now.

I have an intern that works for me and he started with a Tiny Trainer also. He built a second one with a profile fuselage and it also flies like a dream.

The Tiny Trainer is one great inexpensive, quick building plane! I am not a fan of the motor pod arrangement, but otherwise love the Flite Test designs. I love the folding fuselage designs and think their wing construction is ingenious!
rainyday101 is offline Find More Posts by rainyday101
Old Aug 09, 2015, 07:48 AM
Find More Posts by BigAL66
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Dec 2014
15 Posts
Ben's Flite Test FT Cruiser

Ben's FT Cruiser (6 min 19 sec)

Here is a follow up flight with slow motion and edits. Great Flying foamy.
BigAL66 is offline Find More Posts by BigAL66
Old Aug 09, 2015, 02:52 PM
Find More Posts by insomaniac45
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
777 Posts
@Rainday.

the FT plans are fantastic. but the powerpods do hold well. i too have made a permanent firewall for the storch. I would highly recommend that for teaching coordinated turns .

My only issue i have ever had with the powerpods was when i landed hard (no not crashed) with my bloody wonder and the firewall broke free.

I have just started getting a good friend interested in the hobby, and it will be great being able to teach him to fly. I am sure he will be flying solo soon enough. he too is interested in building the tiny trainer. but it will be from plans, as the cost of postage for the speed build kits is too high for us here in the UK,

I think i need to modify my FT 22 though. as the elevons are starting to get spongy again. but the same goes for my storch, the elevators are too getting spongy. but thats an easy fix .
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
Old Aug 10, 2015, 01:52 AM
Find More Posts by nizzamms
Malaysia, Johor, Johor Bahru
Joined Oct 2007
152 Posts
my versa wing..love it..toss it
nizzamms is offline Find More Posts by nizzamms
Old Aug 10, 2015, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by marblekit
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Oct 2014
154 Posts
FT Bloody Baron

Flying the FT Bloody Baron (Mobius BMSWEB settings) (5 min 18 sec)
marblekit is offline Find More Posts by marblekit
Old Aug 16, 2015, 06:34 PM
Find More Posts by barryg69
Joined Feb 2014
29 Posts
Hi i live in the UK and i can only get 5mm foam board how would i adjust the plans to suit this thickness and what motor would you suggest for the extra weight
Thanks
barryg69 is offline Find More Posts by barryg69
Old Aug 27, 2015, 08:51 AM
Find More Posts by Snardo
United States, MD, St Mary's
Joined Apr 2013
268 Posts
For those with experience with the Bloody Wonder: I was thinking about building one, then noticed that it calls for a 4S battery. Has anyone tried running one on a 3S batt? If so, what was your experience with that configuration?

I've had some pretty poor experiences of late trying to do scratch builds, so I'm hesitant to put in the time and money if it's not going to work out well. I'm also not interested in buying a bunch of new batteries for a foamboard plane. Thanks!
Snardo is offline Find More Posts by Snardo
Old Aug 27, 2015, 09:25 AM
Find More Posts by eMoon
I meant to do that
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2011
801 Posts
All I run are 3s batteries. I flew mine with a 3s-2200 with a 30amp HURC ESC and a suppo 2217/7 on a 9x4 prop. It flew fast, and slowed down well to land. Dumb thumbs killed it, although I wish it had a rudder so I'm going to try out the Bloddy Baron next, but modified with a Bloody Wonder wing....I like swept wings....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=675
eMoon is online now Find More Posts by eMoon
Old Aug 27, 2015, 02:27 PM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
18,365 Posts
FliteTest Scratch Builds. (whose building them)?

Whether you need 3s or 4s is determined primarily by the KV of the motor and the size of prop you want to use (or are limited to by the design). If the design calls for 4s, you can generally get similar results with 3s by going for a prop an inch or so larger, and/or with more pitch. If you are limited to a particular prop size, you can use a motor with higher KV. For example, if the model is designed for a 1500KV motor on 4s, it will give similar performance with a 2000KV motor on 3s. KV means revs per volt.

Of course the 3s battery will have to deliver 4/3 as much current so will need to have one-third more mAh for similar performance and flight time.

Getting the right combination of motor, prop and battery requires some experimenting. It's easier to stay with tested setups, but there's lots of room for variations.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Aug 27, 2015, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by tomsza
Too much WT - back to building
United States, WI, Bloomer
Joined Mar 2013
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snardo View Post
For those with experience with the Bloody Wonder: I was thinking about building one, then noticed that it calls for a 4S battery. Has anyone tried running one on a 3S batt? If so, what was your experience with that configuration?

I've had some pretty poor experiences of late trying to do scratch builds, so I'm hesitant to put in the time and money if it's not going to work out well. I'm also not interested in buying a bunch of new batteries for a foamboard plane. Thanks!
I've build about 5 or 6 of them so far (3, 4, and 5 channel versions). All of which uses the same power pod (1050 kv, 30A ESC and 3s 2200) spinning 9x4 (weak), 9x5, 9x6, 10x47, and 10x6. I still prefer the 3 channel (thr, ail, and ele) spinning a 9x6 for the speed envelope. I fly mine often in 20 to 30 mph winds.
tomsza is offline Find More Posts by tomsza