Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,530 Posts
Vultee BT-13

Greetings all

Thought you might be interested in a photo or two
of my latest creation, a Vultee BT-13. It is the
prototype model from a preliminary set of plans by Gus Morfis in California. Specs are as follows:

Wingspan is about 44"
Weighs in right now at about 38 oz (is a tad higher than anticipated!!)
Power is a Graupner 6304 Speed 480 on a Modelairtech H-100 Belt Drive at 2.57 to 1 using a Master Airscrew Wood E prop 10-8
Battery is an 8 cell pack of CP-1300's
Castle Creations 35 amp ESC (had it laying around)

Plane is all balsa with a fully sheeted fuselage and is covered in Monokote. The scheme is based on a BT-13 that was owned by a local pilot.

The plane was test flown last Friday. Was off the ground quickly and lfew nice but fast. Was able to slow it down well for the landing (was a bit windy that day). In the air it looks absolutely great, just like a BT-13 outta look.

The BT-13 is similar in size and construction to the PT-19 that I fly that Gus also deisgned.

I have attached a picture for everyone to look at.

If you have any questions drop me a note.

Thanks all.

Brian Allen
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2002, 06:19 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,530 Posts
BT-13

Well as you may have noticed the photo did not attach. Probably due to the fact that it is quite large (was unawares of its size when I posted it) and I did not know of the attachment size limit here on the E Zone. As the photos were taken by a friend with his digital xamera, I will try to get a copy at a lower resolution and smaller size and try to repost.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Brian Allen
Old Sep 26, 2002, 08:58 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Brian
Is it blue and yellow by any chance?

Good to see a different prototype modelled. I've often thought it would be a better modelling subject than "yet another T6/AT6/ Harvard".

If nothing else, you don't have to mess with retracts for realism in flight and proper take offs and landings

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Sep 26, 2002, 10:58 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,530 Posts
BT-13

Dereck

Thanks for the note. The model is indeed yellow and blue. I like the standard blue/yellow trainer scheme for the most part. I have a photo that shows a silver one with red and orange trim, looks nice also.

The BT-13 is one of my favorites, the lack of retractable landing gear is a definite advantage in my opinion.

As soon as I can get Ron to get me some smaller files for the photos I will post them.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:14 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,902 Posts
BT-13

Here is a picture of a full scale BT-13 I once had. Different color.

Eut
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:44 PM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
779 Posts
Brian:

This plane looks like a bunch of others that didn't show up at our "Not-So-NEAT" non-event.

Can't wait to see her fly, Brian. BTW, I ordered my Jr. Falcon short kit and plans Monday. Thanks again for your help with that.

Gary
GaryK is offline Find More Posts by GaryK
Last edited by GaryK; Sep 26, 2002 at 12:50 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2002, 06:02 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,530 Posts
BT13 Pictures

OK Folks

Lets try this again. Attached are two photos of the BT13 that are a bit smaller in size so they should fit here.

Drop me a line if anyone has any questions, comments etc

Thanks all.

Brian Allen

Veni Vedi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Old Sep 29, 2002, 06:03 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,530 Posts
BT13 Pictures

Second image here

Thanks all.

Brian Allen

Veni Vedi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Old Sep 29, 2002, 06:34 PM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
779 Posts
Wow, Brian! This is a beauty and I can't wait to see her fly. Looks like the competition for "Best Electric" may spill over in to the "Scale" category this year.

Keep up the good work.

Gary
GaryK is offline Find More Posts by GaryK
Old Sep 29, 2002, 07:05 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,960 Posts
Nice! I don't know what it is, there's just something I like about the "Vibrator". The tail group is reminiscent of a P-66, so maybe that's part of the attraction.

Here's a BT-13 I shot at the "Gathering of Corsairs" in Mt. Comfort, IN this month. You'd need a lot of chrome Presto for this one.

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old Sep 30, 2002, 07:00 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,530 Posts
BT-13

JIm

Thanks for your kind words, the BT-13 has always been one of my favorites. Actually, according to my book on Vultee aircraft, the BT-13 was developed off of the P-66 Vanguard in an attempt to create a trainer version sort of. Obviously the BT-13 was much more succesful.

The P-66 Vanguard is a great loking aircraft, particularly the early version with the fully cowled P and W R-1830 with the extension shaft. Think we may have found your next couple of designs to do.!!!!!!

Gary,

Thanks for the kind words. Still testing the BT-13 and working out some minor trim adjustments. Also looking for a lighter battery as it would benefit from loosing a couple oz's (wouldn't we all!!) Will kep you poste don the flights as they occur.

Need to get the marked up drawings sent back to Gus so he can get the plans whiped into shape.

Brian

Veni Vedi Volavi

I cam I saw I flew
Old Oct 01, 2002, 08:47 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,058 Posts
Beautiful

What a great greenhouse. If you could get some miniature artifical tomato plants........( great conversation piece for fun fly).

I predict there will be a rash of Vultee Vibrators now!

It just looks like it has to fly great!
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Oct 01, 2002, 06:48 PM
Joined Jun 2002
29 Posts
BT-13 & P-66

You have it right. Vultee marketed developng nations a "package" of trainer (BT-13) and fighter (P-66) planes using similiar components (wing, tail, etc). North American did the same with the AT-6 and P-64 series. The trainers seemed to do better than their fighter versions.

v/r

Mudbug
Mudbug is offline Find More Posts by Mudbug