SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2006, 05:22 PM
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Jan 2006
504 Posts
Question
Building my trainer from modified cheap glider.

Hi Everyone.

I am just getting started in R/C flying, I wanted to ask your oppinions on whether the power U2 glider conversion, http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=3321, would be a good starter plane for a beginner?

The author said that it is fairly slow and quite stable, so this sounded good to me. I also really like the price. I'd much rather crash a $20 airframe than an $80+ airframe.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.
iceburg47 is offline Find More Posts by iceburg47
Last edited by iceburg47; Jan 09, 2006 at 07:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2006, 08:48 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,090 Posts
I don't have any experience with that model, but if this is your first crack at building a flying plane, then it might not be such a good idea. There are a lot of things one must know to get a flyable model in the air and be able to keep it in the air. Not to mention the pilots ability to do so.

If you can let us know your budget, you have come to the right place for ideas/opinions. --We have lots of them.

PS Welcome!
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:23 AM
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Jan 2006
504 Posts
The main thing that I am looking for is an innexpensive, stable, relatively slow air frame. However, I intend to put some investment into my Tx, ESC and such so that I can use them in the future.

I thought that this looked like a good idea for a couple reasons. First, the price. Second, it seams that the glider was designed to be easily converted for electric flight (the manufacturer even states this). And third, I am hoping that since it was designed to be a free flight glider it would be very stable.

If I am wrong in any of these assumptions (which I may well be) please let me know.

Also, any suggestions for an easy to fly airframe for under $40 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks agin.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 03:43 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,090 Posts
How about a Slow Stick for $31.50?

http://www.gwsexpert.com/product_inf...257d9f3bbbbe6c

It's not very pretty, but fits the description you provided. Very good plane to learn on. Another good one, slightly more expensive is the Multiplex Easy Star

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFRU7&P=ML

Some more info to read to help you decide

http://plawner.net/3/1st_plane/
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:41 AM
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Jan 2006
504 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'll check these out.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:53 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42
Syracuse, NY
Joined May 2005
1,616 Posts
Yeah, I'd go with the Slow Stick. I tried one of thos foam glider conversions when I was starting out. It was more trouble than it was worth. The SS will come with push rods, control horns etc... Plus proven instructions.
Hugequark is offline Find More Posts by Hugequark
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:39 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,679 Posts
Two questions: do you know of anyone who has made the conversion that you are planning, so that they can guide you in buying all of the little parts that you will need; and do you know of an experienced flyer who will be able to trouble shoot the plane for you? If you answered yes to both questions, then go ahead and have fun with your conversion. If you answered no to either question, then you better re-think your plan because you will spend a lot more money than you think, and you may not get a very useable product for all of your trouble.

My own preference was to start off with a ready to fly plane so that I would know that any problems with the flying were the result of pilot error. Its much easier to learn when you know that the plane is doing the right thing and that any errors are your errors. If both you and the plane are unknown quantities, how will you determine the cause of any problems that come up (and there will be plenty)? If you don't want to start with an RTF because they typically don't have the best radio equipment, then go with the Slow Stick. In the long run you will find it a lot less expensive, and much more rewarding, than your planned glider conversion. Don't abandon your plan, just postpone it until you have become an experienced flyer.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Jan 10, 2006, 01:26 PM
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Jan 2006
504 Posts
Thanks. For all the suggestions. I think that I will probably go with the Slow Stick. I just downloaded a model of it and some other ARF trainers for FMS, and it looks like it will be a good one to learn with.

One question about the Speed Stick though. From what I have read about it, it looks like it will need a really small reciever. If I get such a small receiver an servos, would I beable to re-use them much in future park flyers, or would they be too small and low powered?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 05:43 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,090 Posts
The Slow Stick will handle HS-55 servos just fine, or even the larger HS-81s with no problem. Same with receivers. Look at what you want to get next and get the equipment that will fit your next purchase if you so desire. The SS is like a hungry dog, it doesn't care what food it eats, it just wants food. That's probably a lousy analogy. Most likely, you will leave the SS ready to fly and by more electronics for your next addiction/fix.

I also concur with Leo L, don't forget your plans, just postpone them for now.
Last edited by Murocflyer; Jan 11, 2006 at 03:55 AM.