HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2014, 06:11 AM
Joined Oct 2014
14 Posts
Help!
Starting with RC multirotor building from scratch with zero knowledge

Hi there, I am new in all these, I did some searching and asking around but still couldn't understand the concept of RC aircrafts, I have zero knowledge about this so I hope someone can explain and suggest to me the following;

[Answered] 1. What is Arduino for and what is the most value for money model? Or are there better other cheaper brand which is fairly reliable?

[Answered] 2. Can I program the Arduino to do auto piloting? (Example, make the plan fly straight if no inputs are received)

[Answered] 3. How many motors can an Arduino handle? Or it doesn't control the motors?

[Found out myself] 4. How does a transmitter works? (Programming wise)(I plan to create my own one in far future, I have seen someone build a hand gesture transmitter). Also, how does only 1 channel control the double sided rotation of the motor, ie clockwise and anticlockwise? Does it pass different values for different sided rotations?

[I'll just trial and error] 5. Can all propellers bought on the Internet fit into all motors?

[Found out myself] 6. Best place to get the needed things? Especially gears, I need them to connect my motors

[Found out myself] 7. What is the cost of a cheap but reliable 4-6 channelled transmitter?

>>> 8. A good tutorial for someone who doesnt know anything about circuit boards and electrical stuffs?

>>> 9. If you don't mind, can we exchange contact and guide me through?

[Yes] 10. I just want to know, is it possible to add a live camera(not a recorder) cause I plan connect that camera to my com and just fly by seeing the live images of the camera

[Found out myself] 11. I have search for some some servos and the ones I found on hobbyking do not have the rotating part, the ones which looks like propellers. Example, http://hobbyking.com/mobile/viewprod...dparentcat=287

[Found out myself] 12. What's the difference between a flight controller and a microcontroller? They seem to be able to perform auto piloting.

[Yes] 13. Can I program a flight controller to control which motor or servo starts spinning when an input comes in a channel? Because due to the design of my aircraft I may need to initiate certain rotor or servo to perform a task like turning left or turning right

I do hope someone could help me clear as much doubts as possible, oh and sorry if I posted this in the wrong section(again)

Just to make it clear, my objective of building the plane is to learn how the component works as I have zero knowledge about circuit board and electrical stuffs, not actually to own a plane or to learn creating planes very seriously (like getting a trainer to guide me through everything about RC aircrafts)
SlonCHL is offline Find More Posts by SlonCHL
Last edited by SlonCHL; Oct 18, 2014 at 06:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2014, 07:16 AM
Joined Sep 2014
8 Posts
I'll try to clear up some Arduino stuff.

The Arduino is simply a microcontroller, or a small embedded computer. It isn't exclusively made for multirotors, but has only been adapted to be used with multirotors. Take a look at arduino.cc to get a better sense of what it is.

So, ultimately, the Arduino can be programmed to do autopiloting at all levels, from GPS way points to active obstacle avoidance. It can also control theoretically an unlimited amount of motors given enough shift registers and MOSFETS...

Arduino has been adapted further to run on many different microcontroller chips, so there is a massive sort of selection, but in the multirotor world, a Multiwii AIO board would give you the Arduino, and all of the sensors needed for basic autonomous flight. (Acceleromters, gyros, barometers, etc.)
mrbarnes is offline Find More Posts by mrbarnes
Old Oct 17, 2014, 08:14 AM
Joined Oct 2014
14 Posts
Thanks, that clears some things up, can I ask if I can make the aircraft fly straight when an input comes in a channel once, ie like a button, without a microcontroller?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 07:49 PM
Joined Oct 2014
14 Posts
Bump
Old Oct 17, 2014, 08:14 PM
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
2,566 Posts
Just Read the forum threads her and read some more and more........then follow links posted and read those.
All of your questions have been asked, answered and discussed many, many times here.
waltr is offline Find More Posts by waltr
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:09 AM
Joined Apr 2013
164 Posts
Dedicated multirotor flight controllers that are decent for the purpose cost around $20-$30 US to start. You can even find MultiWii versions in this range if you want to toy around with Arduinos. Sure you can build your own. Arduino pro mini comes in around $4, basic 6DOF just a little more. But your time is worth money and you could spend weeks or months toying with your DIY flight controller or you could be flying within a couple of days from when you get all the parts. There are a lot of technical questions to answer concerning multirotors, don't just fixate on the FC. Get a KK2 FC, some motors, some ESC, some props, some batteries, a TX/RX, a frame and get to flying.
jeffjblack is offline Find More Posts by jeffjblack
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:31 AM
United States, OR, Mt Hood
Joined May 2014
396 Posts
More accurately, buy all that stuff and start crashing in order to spend more money. No experience implies your DIY learning curve will be expensive.
PatR is offline Find More Posts by PatR
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:31 AM
TechyGeek
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Sep 2014
71 Posts
As you have prolly found out already the people on this board are great for sharing info and helping out where they can. They have been a ton of help for me along with the tons of reading and researching I have done myself.

Flite Test (flitetest.com) has alot of info too and have starter kit(s) that are great for getting into building multirotors. ElectroHub is prolly the most versatile kit one could get and start out with. Flite test only sell the frame kit with readytoflyquads or lazertoyz providing the electronics kits for the suggested builds per flitetest build guide/videos. And of course can always do your own thing.

ecalc is great for getting specs on propose setups.

And I agree with jeffblack, unless you are a programmer and just want to program your own FC. I personally like what I see and read about the apm/pixhawk by 3DR, or one of its clones if money is a lil tight.
PlayfulGod is offline Find More Posts by PlayfulGod
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:33 AM
TechyGeek
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Sep 2014
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR View Post
More accurately, buy all that stuff and start crashing in order to spend more money. No experience implies your DIY learning curve will be expensive.
Mostly true lol, but can be eased somewhat with alot of research and planning ahead.

Definitely best to get a cheap mini quad to learn to fly with before jumping into a expensive multirotor.
PlayfulGod is offline Find More Posts by PlayfulGod
Old Oct 19, 2014, 03:28 AM
Joined Oct 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
As you have prolly found out already the people on this board are great for sharing info and helping out where they can. They have been a ton of help for me along with the tons of reading and researching I have done myself.

Flite Test (flitetest.com) has alot of info too and have starter kit(s) that are great for getting into building multirotors. ElectroHub is prolly the most versatile kit one could get and start out with. Flite test only sell the frame kit with readytoflyquads or lazertoyz providing the electronics kits for the suggested builds per flitetest build guide/videos. And of course can always do your own thing.

ecalc is great for getting specs on propose setups.

And I agree with jeffblack, unless you are a programmer and just want to program your own FC. I personally like what I see and read about the apm/pixhawk by 3DR, or one of its clones if money is a lil tight.
Haha I think you said what exactly was I thinking the most accurately, I'm a programmer and I care most about the programming part

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjblack View Post
Dedicated multirotor flight controllers that are decent for the purpose cost around $20-$30 US to start. You can even find MultiWii versions in this range if you want to toy around with Arduinos. Sure you can build your own. Arduino pro mini comes in around $4, basic 6DOF just a little more. But your time is worth money and you could spend weeks or months toying with your DIY flight controller or you could be flying within a couple of days from when you get all the parts. There are a lot of technical questions to answer concerning multirotors, don't just fixate on the FC. Get a KK2 FC, some motors, some ESC, some props, some batteries, a TX/RX, a frame and get to flying.
"You can even find MultiWii versions in this range if you want to toy around with Arduinos"
Wait, now I'm confused, don't all flight controller comes with a microcontroller? Ok nevermind, I basically know the rest but I need to know whether a FC is able to perform auto piloting. Or do I need anything else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
Mostly true lol, but can be eased somewhat with alot of research and planning ahead.

Definitely best to get a cheap mini quad to learn to fly with before jumping into a expensive multirotor.
It's hard to say what I'm interested in about this hobby but I sure know I do not want to waste too much time and money on it(Maybe the electronic and programming part)
Old Oct 19, 2014, 09:32 AM
Joined Apr 2013
164 Posts
"You can even find MultiWii versions in this range if you want to toy around with Arduinos"
Wait, now I'm confused, don't all flight controller comes with a microcontroller? Ok nevermind, I basically know the rest but I need to know whether a FC is able to perform auto piloting. Or do I need anything else?

Yes all FC have a microcontroller. The MultiWii is specifically programmed using the Adruino IDE interface and programming language. Others FCs may or may not be programmed in that manner. I am not aware of others that use the Adruino IDE. MultiWii specifically began as the marriage of the Arduino to the sensors salvaged out of a Wii game controller. So you can buy prebuilt versions or make your own if you wish.

The capabilities of the MultiWii include headless mode. Compass based flying, where the pilot can ignore the 2D orientation of the craft. Barometer based altitude hold, GPS hold and return to home functions.

If by auto piloting, you mean waypoint flying, I guess that would be possible provided you have a good I2C GPS unit. I haven't stumbled across waypoint stuff so far in my MultiWii exploration. But I'm still working my way through my first MultiWii experience. You may have limitations in storage and processing on the MultiWii platform, depending on which MPU you choose.

I have other Quads and FCs that are flying now, so I can take my time on this concept and still enjoy the hobby. I just have the FC hooked up to a receiver right now and am playing with programming on my transmitter to activate the various features. Simultaneously, I an building a new Quad platform to install it on. More parts on the way from China will be here soon.

I still have concerns about just fixating on the FC, as there are so many technical considerations to consider when building and flying a quad. Getting all the parts together yourself, building it, getting it in the air and keeping it there for a while are major milestones. I have a complete FPV setup that I have never used. Why? Because I am still building confidence in the platform and my flying ability. When I have a rock solid quad and enough experience to feel like I am not just going to crater the thing, then I will be putting the FPV stuff through its paces.

I like the others suggestions that you purchase an inexpensive micro or mini RTF quad and get some flying experience. This will really help you to grasp all the technical concepts that are involved and maybe also prove to be some fun. I have busted at least 4 of these beyond reasonable repair. But at well under $50 each, not so much of a loss as it is an adventure.
jeffjblack is offline Find More Posts by jeffjblack
Last edited by jeffjblack; Oct 19, 2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 01:00 PM
Joined Oct 2014
14 Posts
Oh thank you, another doubt cleared but one thing, I didn't mean waypoint flying. I mean just programming the servo to make the multirotor fly straight when an input comes in a channel, just like an auto pilot. In another word, you press a button and the flight controller will adjust the servo to make the multirotor fly straight until you press the button again

Another question(Don't wish to open a new thread for it)
This is my list for the things I need for the electronic side
Propeller, motor, ESC, flight controller, servo, receiver & transmitter and battery
Any other necessary electronic component am I missing or am I green light?

PS: $50 is a lot, if converted to my currency it's about 160 bucks. In addition to that, I'm low on budget