HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2014, 08:40 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,567 Posts
Discussion
My "hybrid" HobbyKing Me-163: electric power with aux rocket power

I rarely post in here, but thought you guys might enjoy a short video of my HobbyKing Me-163 model with a prop on the nose and a rocket in the back.

The Me-163 is an EPO foam ARF that came with a very high RPM inrunner turning a very small prop, helping to preserve the scale look by having a prop on the nose that was only a little bigger than the the prop on the wind powered generator on the nose of the real one.

The electric conversion was as simple as it gets. The rocket area on this model is the perfect size for an 18mm motor mount. A little work with a Dremel tool opened up the foam and I added a motor tube with a1/4" balsa plug on the end.

Before adding the motor tube, I ran a old GWS female two wire brushed motor connector under the tube, with the connector about even with the end of the motor tube.

The connector wires run forward to the radio compartment. For ignition, I used an old GWS 5amp brushed ESC and a stand alone 2 cell 370 lipo. The ESC is connected to channel 5 of the RX.nthe motor output of the ESC is connected to the ignition lead. I also mixed in an arming switch in the DX18 TX so that the arming switch must be activated before the channel 5 switch will operate the ignition system. No worry about browning out RC power going this route and the arming switch makes the hand launch safe from accidental ignition.

Some quick calculations showed that an Estes C6 would give this model a decent kick if activated in flight with the model in cruise, throttled back. A pull up in flight to about 60 degrees was chosen for the first flight.

Worked as planned... I have a stash of Aerotech single use 18mm Ds for future flight envelope expansion.

Video is of the first rocket assisted flight at SMALL in Little Rock last summer. Worked as planned.

Picture shows the motor and igniter installation.

SMALLKomet (1 min 27 sec)
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Jan 22, 2014 at 09:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2014, 08:56 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
902 Posts
Great stuff Tomas! Does the motor eject or is the ejection charge disabled?

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old Jan 22, 2014, 09:28 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tellurian View Post
Great stuff Tomas! Does the motor eject or is the ejection charge disabled?

Richard
I either disable the charge or use a plugged C6-0
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:11 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
That's fun, when I did my komet version with tractor, I used a similar setup with a brushed esc on the gear switch, I used a quest D-5 which gave me a bit longer burn, but that was 20mm I think.....

I think also the new aerotech D-2.3 rc motor would be good for your model...

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A few Rocket glider shots.....
Old Jan 27, 2014, 05:19 PM
Joined Aug 2007
444 Posts
Hi Tom,

That Komet looks great.
You need to bring it to Warbirds Over Texas this June.

Dave
X30PILOT is offline Find More Posts by X30PILOT
Old Jan 27, 2014, 06:30 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by X30PILOT View Post
Hi Tom,

That Komet looks great.
You need to bring it to Warbirds Over Texas this June.

Dave
Well, I had it there last summer, but the little guy was having feelings of inadequacy next to your big rocket boosted Komet....
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Oct 03, 2014, 03:55 AM
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Blaton
Joined Apr 2007
136 Posts
Hi Thomas,

I am planning to do it with the new HK Me-163 which will soon (I hope) be on the market.

Could you please post some more pictures of your radio controlled ignition set-up ?

Thank you in advance.

Greetings frm Belgium

Philippe
Belgenland is offline Find More Posts by Belgenland
Old Oct 07, 2014, 06:00 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,297 Posts
Definitely a plane that demands rocket power!

Do be careful with those SU D motors, they do seem to have a higher than normal failure rate. That's one scale aspect of the Komet you don't want to replicate!
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105