HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by jrej, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:25 PM
Joe
Bend, OR
Joined Jun 2010
18 Posts
Trader Rating: 17
Sold
Glider Winch -- Any interest in this?

Back in the early 70's I worked as a machinist and flew gliders. The hi-starts got old real fast, so I built this winch. I machined the drum and attached it to a Ford longshaft starter motor (I believe it's a 12v motor). I used a 6v Volkswagen battery, which gave me a slower speed with more torque. You can see the turnaround I came up with, and it works pretty good. I used a few large tent stakes to anchor everything down. The center of the drum is (guessing here) about 3-1/2" and the outside is 8" dia. The base is 14" x 18" and has a transport handle cut into it. As I remember, I went to the local fishing store and had them put 800 yds of dacron 100# line on it, enough to go 4 football fields end to end, and return. Haha, rarely did I ever find a site that big, so maybe I was just dreaming! You drop the battery into the base and attach the heavy cables. Inside the grey box is a starter solonoid for low current switching, with a cabled foot switch that plugs into it. You'll also see another switch on the box that I used for rewinding at the end of the day. I never put a brake on it because I learned to let the plane spool the line back out at the near end of the launch. In ideal conditions I could have the chute land *behind* me and get some outrageous launches. My Olympic II weighed maybe 3 lbs, and if I didn't tap the switch cautiously it would bend my main wing rod 1/4" hardened steel! It's got some serious torque, but I couldn't tell you where it would max out for really big planes. I've got a nice chute for it too.

I shot these pics a few years ago before converting to electric. I still fly the old Airtronics Olympic II which I built as a mid-wing with spoilers. When I decided to get her back into the air, fortunately I checked the current state of RC systems and discovered my wide-band radio was illegal! The old guys will remember... yellow and white was 72.960.

If there's any interest in the winch, I can take more photos. My best guess is that shipping would have to be UPS, and I would have to partially disassemble the unit, using two separate boxes. The base/spool and the motor. Feel free to make an offer, so I can decide whether this is worthwhile packing and shipping.

Happy Flying!
Joe
jrej is offline Find More Posts by jrej
Last edited by jrej; Jan 29, 2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling errors
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:20 PM
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Nov 2004
160 Posts
Very Interested!

Joe! I'm local, we met a year or so ago, at the club field and then we went to your house, and I lost your number. I travel all the time for work still but I'm still very interested in the winch! I sent you a PM with my #. Cheers, Jim
FULLSCALE is offline Find More Posts by FULLSCALE
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joe
Bend, OR
Joined Jun 2010
18 Posts
Jim! I thought that was you, and sent a PM back. Not much flying wx around here this time of year, so I was trying to find something to keep me busy.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:03 AM
Wayne Wimbish
United States, MO, St Peters
Joined Aug 2008
55 Posts
Trader Rating: 28
Very beautiful mod on the Oly II. Love the mid-wing and the canopy/hatch treatment. Very pretty color scheme too. Reminds me of the Aquila. Well done!
wdwimbish is offline Find More Posts by wdwimbish
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:23 AM
Joe
Bend, OR
Joined Jun 2010
18 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. I have a lot of fond memories of building it, and flying her over the years. Believe it or not, that's still the monokote from the original build. I've never had to do any airframe repairs.

I have a lot of nostalgia for the old days, when if you wanted to fly planes, you had to walk the line. No instant gratification. When she goes on that maiden flight, you have a respect for what it took to get to that point. There's a lot of scratch builders out there that I really admire.

My other baby dates way back too. I'll share it with you. The Airtronics AcroStar. I built the top wing back in the 70's, but never got around to completing it until just 3 yrs ago. Here's a few of the build pics, and one in flight.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:31 PM
Hi-Start Man
Texas Panhandle
Joined Dec 2004
100 Posts
Trader Rating: 42
You can pick up a narrow band 72 radio for very little money. They still work just fine.
olyman is offline Find More Posts by olyman
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:04 PM
New to RC
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Very interested

Hi,

I'm also very interested. If the local fellow doesn't buy it, I'd like it. I'm new to gliders, but have done some high starts, winch launches. I have know idea what your winch is worth, and don't want to insult you, however, at first blush, I'll offer $150 plus shipping. I live in Albuquerque New Mexico, 87108.

Let me know, take care,
Ed
edabq is offline Find More Posts by edabq
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:31 PM
Joe
Bend, OR
Joined Jun 2010
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edabq View Post
Hi,

I'm also very interested. If the local fellow doesn't buy it, I'd like it. I'm new to gliders, but have done some high starts, winch launches. I have know idea what your winch is worth, and don't want to insult you, however, at first blush, I'll offer $150 plus shipping. I live in Albuquerque New Mexico, 87108.

Let me know, take care,
Ed
No insult taken. I know that this is not one the hot commercial winches out there, but it is cleanly constructed with a common set of components. Search the RCG Classifieds for winches that have sold, do some comparisons, and that will give you a good idea of it's value. Also, let's take any negotiating to PM, and not do this in the thread.

All the best,
Joe
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:30 PM
Joe
Bend, OR
Joined Jun 2010
18 Posts
Sold!

Thanks to everyone who responded. My local friend here purchased it.
And thanks to RCG for a great community, and of course for hosting all these ads!
Closed Thread