HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:20 AM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
its still going, though i got a bit distracted on other things in then summer. heres a pic: i restarted the main assy because the old one was, well, old and not working out well. some parts were also re done. the hinge is for caster, and camber will just be some adjuster screws on the top / bottom A-arms.

Can anyone spot a major design fail by me ? (gotta stop working so late.)
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2013, 01:36 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,874 Posts
This is the rear suspension or front suspension of a 4WD? Where should the axle transferring the drive to the wheels go, if the shock are in the middle? And if it's the front, where are the steering pivots?
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Aug 17, 2013, 07:07 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
You'll also want to change how the lower arms connect to the hub, the way it's drawn now the hub will simply pull away from the arm. It would be much stronger if the hub attached under the arm so that it's pushing the arm to raise it, not pulling on it.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Aug 17, 2013, 08:38 AM
Emress
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
@soloprofan yep its 4wd. brain fart as some would say? now im moving them to the right side of the a arm

...much stronger if the hub attached (to what?) under the arm... sorry i dont quite understand what youre saying
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:05 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,874 Posts
The hub will pull the arm up on a bump/landing. Since the attachment is made on the top of the arm, all the force will be on the screws holding the hub to the arm. If the attachment is made on the bottom of the arm, with the screw just holding it in place, the forces are better distributed.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:22 AM
Emress
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
i made the u shape things so that it "clamps" on to the carbon fiber when bolted together with 3 2mm bolts.

could you get a pic of what you mean from some rc car?
Old Aug 17, 2013, 02:54 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbow2 View Post
i made the u shape things so that it "clamps" on to the carbon fiber when bolted together with 3 2mm bolts.

could you get a pic of what you mean from some rc car?
See how the U shaped parts bolt to the top of the lower arm? It would be much stronger if they were bolted to the bottom.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 05:33 PM
Emress
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
It bolts through on both sides.i still can't figure out why I cant figure it out hah
Old Aug 17, 2013, 07:09 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
I get that the bolt runs right through... but as drawn the force from the hub is lifting the arm, and relying on the strength of the bolt to hold it to the arm. The shock is attached to the arm, so all the force between the chassis and the wheel is being held by those two little bolts.

If you put them on the under side of the arm then the whole surface area of the U shaped pieces are pushing on the arm from the bottom which will be much stronger than the two little bolts holding it in place.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:36 PM
Emress
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
Update: shocks moved to the proper place.. lol

ooooh bout time i get it sorry all that. and then its all held by 4 (currently) diff bolts. good thing its not done.