HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking Service

I have been thinking of buying an fpv set from hobbyking but I have heard that hobbyking service is very bad. Should I buy something from hobbyking
majlufj is offline Find More Posts by majlufj
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:41 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,751 Posts
They aren't that bad IMHO. They generally despatch stuff reasonably promptly and I've yet to have any items missing from my orders. Obviously shipping is out of their control and may take a while if ordering from the international warehouse in China.

Quality of their stuff can vary but the user reviews and discussion threads are good, so do your research to make sure what you are buying is ok. Often what they are selling is exactly the same product as local vendors sell at twice the price.

After sales service is not great but you have to accept that you are getting stuff cheap so cant expect top line customer support. Having said that they do at least reply to warranty claims which is better than some companies I've dealt with (mention no names but initials are PA). If you are persistent they will usually make some form of offer, but returning stuff to China often would cost more than the value of the goods, so usually isn't worth the hassle.

Don't order anything that's not in stock as some things take ages to come back in or maybe never come. Spares are often unavailable for the stuff they sell.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:11 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,006 Posts
Read all the reviews on the item, if something is inherently faulty you'll probably see comments about it. Ignore the number of crowns, rely on the words. If you see more than a couple of negatives, I'd be careful.
I see it is on backorder. You can have them email you when it comes back in stock which works IF they don't have more backorders than new product as they'll fill the backorders first before filling new orders.

I'd also Google the product and look for comments. There are a whole bunch of them on Google.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:58 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,753 Posts
Yeah go for it mate and i doubt you will be able to find them cheaper any where else,no matter where people buy RC products from you will always get someone not happy for what ever reason,the most common complaint people seem to have about HK from what i've read is the postal service,some expect there parcels to turn up as if they are buying it from there local HS or in the same city or something,just don't expect your parcel to be with you in a couple
of days,my orders get to me around the 7/11 days mark depending on what postal service i use.

I live in the UK and i've been shopping with HK for years now and have countless orders and i'm still shopping with them,so that must tell you something right,plus if HK were as bad as some make out would they really be doing as good as they are? i doubt they would be opening up local HK stores around the world if they were that unreliable,even some of the people who jump on the HK bashing band wagon still buy off them but don't like to admit,why do you think that is? well i think it's because they can't get the same products any where else for the sort of money we pay.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:06 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,316 Posts
The user IB Crazy is one of the most experienced FPV guys out there (anmd a very nice gentleman). Im sure if you PM'ed him he could offer all kinds of advice, good luck!
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:56 PM
Oakridge, Oregon
Joined Jul 2004
661 Posts
I bought my Predator Fatshark Goggles, Fat Shark PAL Camera, and Video Transmitter from Hobbyking. Everything worked great except the camera. I sent them a message with details why I knew the camera was defective and sent the camera back to the USA warehouse. Was credited the money back in a week. I was only out the shipping cost which was about $4 with tracking. I have never had a problem with their stuff before this. It is really good advice however to look at their reviews on their site as well as on rcgroups. That way you can stay away from products that are already known to be faulty.
TheDonski is offline Find More Posts by TheDonski
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Majlufj, when you run into a problem with HK the CS can be very,very bad.
If you decide to place an order make sure you use Paypal and remember you only have 45 days to open a dispute if there is a problem. Paypal will provide some buyer protection and CS. HK often deletes negative product reviews and comments on their site so buyer beware. They also hire people to promote their products on the RC forums so be aware that some people that jump on the HK promotion band wagon may just be employees paid to push product. Do careful product research to avoid getting ripped off. Good luck.
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, CA, Pinole
Joined Jan 2009
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanti256 View Post
Majlufj, when you run into a problem with HK the CS can be very,very bad.
It can also be very very good.I placed an order that for some reason showed as "unpaid" on my acct page .Less than 30 minutes from me submitting a support request ticket I had a confirmation from Kyle that they had resolved the problem and my order now shows as being processed

imgumby
imgumby is offline Find More Posts by imgumby
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:01 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,255 Posts
I've ordered 16 times without issues...then... I ordered 2 batteries from the US warehouse, 3 weeks later still no batteries. Routing showed the batteries were returned to Hobby King, and never left Washington state, so they have my money and my batteries. I've mailed them 3 times, each time they said they would check with the "post" and my inquiry was "resolved". After my last "resolved" seeing the batteries had already been delivered back to them, and getting the same response I opened a Paypal dispute. Within 1/2 hour my order, as well as my communications with HK disappeared from their website. Since this was their attempt at communications I immediately escalated to a claim.
Nice way to make money: send the items to YOURSELF, and you get to keep the money and the merchandise! Oh, and the $14 for shipping it to yourself!!!
FYI: USPS routing number 9434611201080740618605
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready