HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:10 AM
Registered User
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined May 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dick View Post
Well, it was crying out for it

Had some lights laying around and found some time yesterday to play with a soldering iron. Got a chance to try it last night but after a dead calm day all the time the sun was up, it got a but windy (complete opposite to the normal state of affairs!). Still excellent fun though.

Only added 13g to the total all up weight and the white ones are particularly bright - easy enough when you've got a 3S setup on these 12v strips
I like the lights ,Good idea ~~~~
You can also change your decal with nite writer pen ,this is more simple
suzanne lee is offline Find More Posts by suzanne lee
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:32 AM
Registered User
ducatirdr's Avatar
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,372 Posts
Oops!

Crashed mine yesterday. I was fooling around with slow flying it into a mild headwind. I had it hovering about 5 feet off the ground when it rolled hard to the left and hit the ground inverted. My guess it that the left hand side of the rotor disk stalled as it was traveling the same direction as the wind. My friend thought a linkage broke as it was really sudden and violently quick to snap over.

I broke the Y and a blade but everything else was fine. When are those things coming back in stock?
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:19 AM
Registered User
Douglas C's Avatar
Roanoke Texas
Joined Jun 2007
360 Posts
just got mine and am building it

I am new to this type of aircraft and was wondering if the instructions are correct as to the set up of the ailerons? The instructions show that when you give right aileron the rotor disc tilts left. Is this correct for an autogyro?
Douglas C is offline Find More Posts by Douglas C
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:24 AM
Be here now!
ask21!'s Avatar
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
No, right stick is right tilt and left stick is left tilt.
ask21! is offline Find More Posts by ask21!
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:24 AM
Registered User
ducatirdr's Avatar
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas C View Post
I am new to this type of aircraft and was wondering if the instructions are correct as to the set up of the ailerons? The instructions show that when you give right aileron the rotor disc tilts left. Is this correct for an autogyro?
No - Left aileron should tilt the rotor head left and right, right
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:34 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
jodini's Avatar
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Hey Scott Page....first off! Kudos to you! I'm assuming that's your significant other helping you with the spin up. My wife would of gotten the leaf blower maybe, but just to see my stuff being blown out of my garage!
But on a serious note, if you decide to put your autogyro back together (which I think you should), you need to have a flexing head. That's why that thing it pulling in one direction. So grab a tupperware container that your wife is not using, cut those plywood plates loose and redo your head assembly (thanks for the video though)!

I do like the ducted fan spin up....great idea! I used to have one of the big 3d guys go on the runway infront of me and start up their DA 100 engines and it would spin up my 60 size autogyros! It's all about fun!

This Durafly craze is awesome! I've never seen so many guys on this forum! Long live the autogyros! We're coming back!

Have fun out there guys!
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:07 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Lithonion's Avatar
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
This Durafly craze is awesome! I've never seen so many guys on this forum! Long live the autogyros! We're coming back!

Have fun out there guys!
Joe
Its your fault Joe that I got one of these. You put the bug in me with that kit you where developing and wanted someone with no autogyro stick time to try it out.

Beside, I have to blame someone!
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:15 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
jodini's Avatar
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Your welcome Didier! We got to get more autogyro guys at the club!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:42 AM
Keep it simple
alfoot's Avatar
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
Oops!

Crashed mine yesterday. I was fooling around with slow flying it into a mild headwind. I had it hovering about 5 feet off the ground when it rolled hard to the left and hit the ground inverted. My guess it that the left hand side of the rotor disk stalled as it was traveling the same direction as the wind. My friend thought a linkage broke as it was really sudden and violently quick to snap over.

I broke the Y and a blade but everything else was fine. When are those things coming back in stock?
Hi,

I doubt that the left side of the rotor stalled: I haven't measured the in-flight rotor revs but it must be the order of one to two thousand RPM, either of which will give quite a high calculated rotor tip speed.

The violence you describe suggests, as your friend says, that something let go.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

Al
alfoot is offline Find More Posts by alfoot
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
Registered User
Douglas C's Avatar
Roanoke Texas
Joined Jun 2007
360 Posts
thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask21! View Post
No, right stick is right tilt and left stick is left tilt.
I guess I looked at the instructions wrong or they are just wrong, I will make sure and do it correct. thanks for the clarification guys.
Douglas C is offline Find More Posts by Douglas C
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:38 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Hemel Hempstead
Joined Feb 2010
62 Posts
The Picture in the Manual is from the front of the machine, whilst the other pictures are from the back. Bit confusing - I fell for that too, but spotted it before I flew

Malcolm
Flying_Flair is offline Find More Posts by Flying_Flair
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:35 PM
Do you see what I see?
rcoconut's Avatar
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,735 Posts
Rayonnair posted this as confirmation when doing your Rotor Blade Control Check:

Durafly Auto-G Autogyro has an ERROR in the manual. Will it fly? (7 min 8 sec)


Just missed this by 2 days.... Wasn't smart enough to catch this & snapped the Rotor Blade Grip off as well as the prop & motor mount, but my buddy has her repaired & airworthy, re-maiden soon!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:37 PM
Do you see what I see?
rcoconut's Avatar
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
This Durafly craze is awesome! I've never seen so many guys on this forum! Long live the autogyros! We're coming back!

Have fun out there guys!
Joe
WOW that is quite the fleet!! Nice looking! I like the dual rotor gyros you have!

My 1st gyro & anxious to get her back in the air!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:08 PM
Keep it simple
alfoot's Avatar
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
976 Posts
Hi all,

As promised, a better quality movie shot by my mate Bob. There is slight jitter due to the conversion process but he captured the Auto G well in close-up.

Enjoy,

Al


Durafly Auto G 19 November 2012 (2 min 42 sec)
alfoot is offline Find More Posts by alfoot
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:21 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
scott page's Avatar
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
Hey Scott Page....first off! Kudos to you! I'm assuming that's your significant other helping you with the spin up. My wife would of gotten the leaf blower maybe, but just to see my stuff being blown out of my garage!
But on a serious note, if you decide to put your autogyro back together (which I think you should), you need to have a flexing head. That's why that thing it pulling in one direction. So grab a tupperware container that your wife is not using, cut those plywood plates loose and redo your head assembly (thanks for the video though)!

I do like the ducted fan spin up....great idea! I used to have one of the big 3d guys go on the runway infront of me and start up their DA 100 engines and it would spin up my 60 size autogyros! It's all about fun!

This Durafly craze is awesome! I've never seen so many guys on this forum! Long live the autogyros! We're coming back!

Have fun out there guys!
Joe
Your fleet is impressive. I have access to a laser cutter, so I'll scan my spare plate and find a different material... what do you think about a DVD cut to fit?
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Slow-g slow stick auto gyro HyperHelis Auto Gyros 4 May 23, 2012 08:14 PM
Sold Zenoah G-23 w/muffler and FEMA auto start LotusTRBO Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 1 Jul 05, 2006 11:27 PM
Discussion Xero G Auto. epc2 Electric Heli Talk 2 Apr 01, 2006 07:08 PM
Video Xero G Auto. epc2 Electric Heli Talk 0 Apr 01, 2006 02:35 PM