SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:57 PM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
218 Posts
Bboater, you can make them yourself, use Sail Cut software http://www.sailcut.com/Main_Page to lay out your sail, most guys use ripstop nylon, cut the panels, and tape with 1/8" basting tape, then zigzag sew the seams, tape and fold the edges, we have a couple of our club members that have made them for there AC boats, they found out that it was to much hassle to put up and take down in a race.
John R.
tbarjohn is offline Find More Posts by tbarjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2010, 02:38 PM
State College, Valley Forge PA, LBI NJ
Joined Jun 2008
807 Posts
My boat isnt much for racing at the moment so it would be set on one side of the pond and grab it on the other or jibe somewhere in the middle with my genoa sheets.
thank you very much
bboarder711 is offline Find More Posts by bboarder711
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:53 AM
Anarchist
Australia, NSW
Joined Apr 2007
26 Posts
hmm, sorry to mis guide you, but it isn't my boat, i found it on the net ages ago and can't remember what website i got it off, but there was a few boats with kites on the website. sorry guys.. i just wanted to show what i wanted to do with mine roughly
yachtie2k4 is offline Find More Posts by yachtie2k4
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:08 AM
Jakarta Indonesia
Joined Jun 2006
228 Posts
Not a problem Yachtie , you stated clearly in your first post the photo was off the web.

Thanks for sharing .

James
james carey is offline Find More Posts by james carey
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:40 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,513 Posts
Spinnaker - set up

yachtie2k4
When you install your spinnaker, I for one would appreciate your documenting the installation. Do you have any other pictures of the boat in your post with the spinnaker?

How are the jib and spinnaker controlled? What prevents the jib from going in the water? I have only seen one other RC yacht with a working spinnaker. I have read of a number of guys that have attempted to do it, but were not able to succeed.

How is the spinnaker managed and released? This is something I would dearly like to be able to set up.

Any other photos out there of RC yachts with functioning spinnakers?

Thank you for sharing these photos!
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:50 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,249 Posts
Try contacting Rich Matt via the AMYA web. He had a complete photo and article describing his working spinnaker (stored on deck). I will check my AMYA collection at noon today and provide an issue number in case they have remaining back issues of the particular article. I want to say (memory) his was either an A Class or AC Class size. You might find the issue sooner by visiting the Ship's Store on AMYA web as they sometimes have a short index of major articles in each issue.

Like canting keels, some ideas from big boats don't seem to work well when sailing a short "pond" course with lots of tacking or gybing. Too many functions, not enough hands or fingers.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:59 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,513 Posts
Thanks Dick. I will attempt to contact this fellow to see if he can point me to the report. I am really curious as to how to control the darned thing on an RC Yacht with out an onboard crew to manage things.
Boomer
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:29 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,249 Posts
Boomer - this is the issue you want - purchase price is $7.00
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:43 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,513 Posts
I am on it! Thanks Dick
Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:47 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,513 Posts
My Christmas gift to you fellows! Enjoy

I have been saving some of my most treasured photos for a special occasion. Since Christmas is upon us, what better occasion to share these treasures with my friends!

I wish I could take credit for the photography, but I can't. These were shot by a master aerial photographer, whose name escapes me for the moment, but I will find his name and amend this posting to give him the credit he has surely earned.

I use these in rotation as my desktop background - inspiring images!

Enjoy and Merry Christmas to you all. The pictures that have been posted here have been a gift to us all. Thank you and please keep them coming.

Boomer

Getting close - One of the best is Richard Bennett -working on confirmation
Last edited by Boomer1; Dec 21, 2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:10 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/ind...howtopic=46343

Lots of rambling and off topic stuff which is the SA way,but HCW has gone along way towards a spinnaker launch/ retrieval system for RC
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:10 PM
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
Seeing the motorboats discipline, letting most of the place to sailboats, I can say that the first picture has not been shotted in France!

Thank you Boomer1, and happy Xmas to all.
jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:37 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
Boomer,

You must be a Sydney to Hobart fan, bring on Boxing Day, 10am Perth time I'll be sitting down to watch the start.

Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:50 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,513 Posts
Mike,
I am fan of a number of these races, particularly those that are what I refer to as "deep ocean" racing. These pictures illustrate some of the beauty of the sport but don't be fooled, these races are of the most dangerous tests of man and boat imaginable.

Richard Bennett has some amazing photos that capture just how dangerous these races can be. I have been in and around boats most of my life, and taught to survive the sea, you must respect and fear it.

I am now a "fair weather" sailor only! RC boats are now my style. I just found a couple more photos of his. Wish I could join you!

Enjoy
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Dec 21, 2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 09:00 PM
State College, Valley Forge PA, LBI NJ
Joined Jun 2008
807 Posts
If have photograpphed 505s in action and that have no way of actually hauling in their kites so what they have designed is a halyard to the middle of the shoot and it is pulled when they drop the kite pulling it into the storage compartment at the bow. thsi could be a very easy

looks closely and you can see this line
bboarder711 is offline Find More Posts by bboarder711