HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:03 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,751 Posts
yeah, we make good stuff

I usually leave after production has left. That is when they do the burn-in of the higher end subs.
Even though they try to do them in out of phase pairs to lessen the SPL, they do make an ominous thunder.

And if you really want to shake your house (and have very deep pockets) then look at a Sub1 or Sub 2
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:32 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,884 Posts
Is that to test the speakers or the building?
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:35 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,469 Posts
C'mon guys, frsky could buy a couple of freezers
HAPPY NEW YEAR
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:44 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,751 Posts
As part of product testing they should have one, as well as an oven.
Not only to determine the safe operating temperatures, but also to make sure they will survive the sort of temperatures they could experience during shipping.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:42 PM
Joined Oct 2010
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Indeed, it is very odd, kind of mind boggling, that the two D8R-XP's were both purchased at the same time and that is was why it took me so long to get my head around the idea that I had could have two "cold sensitive" RX's that were different models, and three others that worked in the cold.
I recently had a similar problem with a frsky v8fr-II that I bought from HK. I have not figured out the exact problem yet but I have lost signal 3 times over the last few weeks. One time destroying my airplane. It has happened after about 7 minutes of flight every time and usually when I am flying slowly. The rx is inside of the foam fuse but with my esc heat sink outside the fuse it may actually transfer cold into the fuse. When I fly faster, the battery gets warmer and may warm the rx. I will try and do the freezer test with my rx and see if it is like yours.
flybyjohn is offline Find More Posts by flybyjohn
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:50 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,745 Posts
I don't think a freezer is going to be cold enough to duplicate the issue on these receivers. The original poster was experiencing the issue at 0F, that is much lower then a typical freezer goes to. They should be able to use some dry ice to reach this range though.

I'm surprised the guys Lipos were still working at those temps.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:53 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
I don't think a freezer is going to be cold enough to duplicate the issue on these receivers. The original poster was experiencing the issue at 0F, that is much lower then a typical freezer goes to.
Actually, I was experiencing the problem 25 to 32 degrees F. (oC or a bit below). It is hard for me to tell the exact temperature the receiver got to when it lost its signal, but these were the outdoor temperatures. I am pretty sure there were times where my quad or hex were outdoors at these temperatures where the same recievers did not lose signal. I can't really explain that. I also think that the more cycles the two RX's went through, the more likely they were to lose signal in a given test. Toward the end of my testing they were failing every test.

When I tested them in the freezer with just a battery on them (as opposed to being on the quad) they failed every time.

When on the machines, I carefully monitiored the voltage to the RX's and it was constant from my BEC at 5V; when tested alone they were on a fresh Eneloop 2000 mah NiMh, so I don't believe these problems were caused by cold lipos or a bad BEC.

And, of course, I had three Frsky RX;s that did not fail any tests, and just got another one today that has not failed my initial testing (at 15F, it was cold here today).

I was also able to reproduce it in my freezer.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:20 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybyjohn View Post
I will try and do the freezer test with my rx and see if it is like yours.
Please do.. If there is any problem then frsky can find it and correct it quickly..
To ignore it, could make it worse for everybody and even more for frsky..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:30 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
I did a whole bunch of searches trying to find out what makes the frsky system have so much more range than the competitors, but I didn't find anything. With an output power of 60mw, you'd think it would be short range compared to spektrum's 200mw output. I see many people getting over 2.5 km with frsky and only a few with other radios.

So, what is the actual reason behind the longer range?
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:54 PM
Joined Oct 2010
197 Posts
Bad new for the theory from me. I did the freezer test in my deep freeze for 15 minutes and never lost signal. I took it out still connected and let it warm up to room temp while keeping an eye on it. It stayed on the whole time. Now I have to figure out why I keep loosing signal before it cost me another repair job.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Oct 2010
197 Posts
I have the older original v8ht diy module that is discontinued now and the rx that may be giving me problems is the v8fr-II. I have noticed that at times when I turn on the tx and then plug in the battery to the bec and rx, it sometimes takes up to 10 full seconds to link up or boot up. Sometimes it is quicker. It is already bound. The tx eventually grabs a hold of the rx. If you then turn off the tx and turn it back on, it is almost instant. You can turn off and on the tx all day and it links with the rx instantly. Why does it take so long when I plug in the battery to the rx? Is this normal behavior? Are these two items compatible without any updates? Could this be a problem with loosing signal in the air?
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:29 PM
Joined Mar 2009
297 Posts
Quote:
Actually, I was experiencing the problem 25 to 32 degrees F. (oC or a bit below). It is hard for me to tell the exact temperature the receiver got to when it lost its signal, but these were the outdoor temperatures. I am pretty sure there were times where my quad or hex were outdoors at these temperatures where the same recievers did not lose signal. I can't really explain that. I also think that the more cycles the two RX's went through, the more likely they were to lose signal in a given test. Toward the end of my testing they were failing every test.

When I tested them in the freezer with just a battery on them (as opposed to being on the quad) they failed every time.

When on the machines, I carefully monitiored the voltage to the RX's and it was constant from my BEC at 5V; when tested alone they were on a fresh Eneloop 2000 mah NiMh, so I don't believe these problems were caused by cold lipos or a bad BEC.

And, of course, I had three Frsky RX;s that did not fail any tests, and just got another one today that has not failed my initial testing (at 15F, it was cold here today).

u2builder,
Please post the two receivers back to us directly if you have not sent them to Aloft Hobbies yet, or Wayne will do instead if you already have, so that we could take a look into it immediately.
Chase Wu is offline Find More Posts by Chase Wu
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:42 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybyjohn View Post
I have the older original v8ht diy module that is discontinued now and the rx that may be giving me problems is the v8fr-II. I have noticed that at times when I turn on the tx and then plug in the battery to the bec and rx, it sometimes takes up to 10 full seconds to link up or boot up. Sometimes it is quicker. It is already bound. The tx eventually grabs a hold of the rx. If you then turn off the tx and turn it back on, it is almost instant. You can turn off and on the tx all day and it links with the rx instantly. Why does it take so long when I plug in the battery to the rx? Is this normal behavior? Are these two items compatible without any updates? Could this be a problem with loosing signal in the air?
Those of you with jittery servos or motors....try this same procedure and see if the jittering stops. (TX off then on...RX on the whole time)
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:02 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,550 Posts
Quote:

I have an aileron servo that's been giving me the same situation -- works fine at room temperature, but not in freezing temperatures -- I'm pretty sure it's a cold solder joint (strange unintended pun) where two metals are having differential contraction in the cold and opening a circuit.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:48 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Often dirty pots lose contact and give erratic operation in cold temperatures.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12