HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 16, 2011, 05:27 PM
3DHobbyShop.com
horton's Avatar
S. Lancaster County, PA
Joined Jun 2006
2,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilkers View Post
yeah, hate to lose it to stupidity, but likely I'm not the first one.

I really like this size of plane and I want another. I still have the 51 slick and 41edge. A50-12L, castle 120hv, 798gmg, and I've run it on both 8S and 6S.

Sort of thinking velox but not sure the same motor and servos will move over easily. comments?

tim
Velox would be a rocket on the -12L, but would be fun! The 72" Extra would run on your setup as well.
horton is offline Find More Posts by horton
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2011, 05:30 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horton View Post
Velox would be a rocket on the -12L, but would be fun! The 72" Extra would run on your setup as well.
Only Red/Yellow Velox available right now...

And would fly the Extra very well indeed!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 05:58 PM
Registered User
twilkers's Avatar
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
do you guys know how an extra compares to the slick or the velox?

of course, I would like to use the same gear.
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:08 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,113 Posts
Extra and Slick closer. Velox smaller, and does tumbles great!! I would say the Slick is in between the two... and yes, I have all three, but not much flight time on the Extra and Velox (only two flights each)

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:07 PM
On loan to Texas
Ohio AV8TOR's Avatar
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
the Castle Link Quick Connect is made specific for programming ease. We like em.

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...k_connect.html
This makes very good sense, anyone else using them? What is the proper way to use this with an external BEC as I take it you still have to disconnect the red wire.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:16 PM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Few shots from tonite.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:25 PM
Registered User
Ping's Avatar
Indianapolis
Joined Aug 2004
481 Posts
It doesn't look like I will be able to achieve a neutral CG without adding tail weight in my Slick. Does anyone have a safe method of adding weight to the tail of a gas model?
Ping is offline Find More Posts by Ping
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:27 PM
"Failure is not an option"
TOFAST4U2C's Avatar
West Babylon NY
Joined Dec 2006
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
It doesn't look like I will be able to achieve a neutral CG without adding tail weight in my Slick. Does anyone have a safe method of adding weight to the tail of a gas model?
How much weight?
TOFAST4U2C is offline Find More Posts by TOFAST4U2C
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:33 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,113 Posts
Yes, cut one of the smaller panels of covering out of the fuselage, in the tail, and then after determining how much weight is needed then mix an equivalent weight of either lead shot, or BB's with epoxy and pour it into the the back of the fuselage, then put a patch over the opening. Really not even noticeable...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:53 PM
SMOOOOKKKKKKEEEE
The Real Monson's Avatar
USA, IN, Avon
Joined Aug 2007
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
Steve, thanks for your reply...didnt think about the carbon in the fuse. If I did get a higher end spektrum are we talking ar7010?
I just had a brand new 6210 fail in my 71. The satellite receiver had an 24" extension on it. The receiver has a hold and won't rebind to anything. I searched for a bit and it seems almost hit or miss with 6xxx receivers. There are quite a few people that stay away from them completely.

Dave
The Real Monson is offline Find More Posts by The Real Monson
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:04 PM
doh!
ryan_m's Avatar
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilkers View Post
yeah, hate to lose it to stupidity, but likely I'm not the first one.

I really like this size of plane and I want another. I still have the 51 slick and 41edge. A50-12L, castle 120hv, 798gmg, and I've run it on both 8S and 6S.

Sort of thinking velox but not sure the same motor and servos will move over easily. comments?

tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilkers View Post
do you guys know how an extra compares to the slick or the velox?

of course, I would like to use the same gear.

Sure that gear will transfer. People fly the Velox on a DL-30, which adds about a pound to it I think. Your setup will only be a few ounces over the optimally spec motor. It'll fly great.
I've owned the velox, extra, and slick. I wound up selling the Extra and keeping the Slick and Velox. The Extra and Slick fly extremely similar to each other. If you liked one, you'll probably like the other.
On my 6s setups the weights were 1/2 lb different each.
Velox, 8.5lb. Slick 9lb. Extra 9.5lb.
The Velox is a 3d monster. Much more than either the Slick or Extra. It's a lot of fun. Uber stable harriers, hovers super easy too, easiest of the three, the tail has more authority and whips around better/quicker than the other two. Waterfalls are tight, knife edge spins - awesome. I love my big Velox!
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:54 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
This makes very good sense, anyone else using them? What is the proper way to use this with an external BEC as I take it you still have to disconnect the red wire.
I use them, and love them. The lead to hook to the computer is long, the one to the receiver is much shorter, so you will probably need an extension, so. if using an ESC with a built in BEC, and you are using a separate BEC, then remove the center wire of the extension. If your ESC does not have a built in BEC, don't remove it

Oh...and to make sure that the Quick Connect stays connected to the throttle lead, I put put a shrink tubing over the Quick Connect, and the throttle lead, and shrink it down.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:13 PM
Registered User
twilkers's Avatar
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Sure that gear will transfer. People fly the Velox on a DL-30, which adds about a pound to it I think. Your setup will only be a few ounces over the optimally spec motor. It'll fly great.
I've owned the velox, extra, and slick. I wound up selling the Extra and keeping the Slick and Velox. The Extra and Slick fly extremely similar to each other. If you liked one, you'll probably like the other.
On my 6s setups the weights were 1/2 lb different each.
Velox, 8.5lb. Slick 9lb. Extra 9.5lb.
The Velox is a 3d monster. Much more than either the Slick or Extra. It's a lot of fun. Uber stable harriers, hovers super easy too, easiest of the three, the tail has more authority and whips around better/quicker than the other two. Waterfalls are tight, knife edge spins - awesome. I love my big Velox!
thanks Ryan, just what I was looking for. any comments about driving a hacker from castle ESC?
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:47 AM
Long Duck Dong
Choppedlow's Avatar
Yuma, Arzmexico
Joined Aug 2010
51 Posts
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310881579.308481.jpg
Views: 74
Size: 43.3 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310881632.475813.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 87.8 KB
Description:

Some flying today with the 71". This thing is rock solid in a harrier, and hover like a champ! Anyone else running a Xoar electric wood prop? Mine makes a god awful noise! The prop starts whining! Like it's going to come apart! I tried a Bolly 19X10, and the noise went away. It's some kind of vibration at certain RPMs. The prop seems way to flexible for a 20". Going to order a Mejzlik on Monday, and maybe an APC. Anyone have good luck with a Voxx from PA? My 71" pulls a 20X8 without bogging down or getting hot, but I needs more punch!
Choppedlow is offline Find More Posts by Choppedlow
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:51 AM
Long Duck Dong
Choppedlow's Avatar
Yuma, Arzmexico
Joined Aug 2010
51 Posts
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310882193.243876.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 156.3 KB
Description:

Ultra Stick with his 51" at our super secret Yuma Ghetto Electric Club. This kids only been flying for two years! Oh, to be 16 again!
Choppedlow is offline Find More Posts by Choppedlow
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll 3D hobby shop 51" slick or 55" SHP? appleflyer 3D Flying 24 Mar 24, 2009 06:29 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop's AJ Slick Clark Warfel Electric Plane Talk 3 May 08, 2008 07:31 AM