HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:51 PM
Registered User
GCplane's Avatar
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
425 Posts
Skypirate,
I suggest the T-28 regular size (44" wingspan). It is probably the most popular plane ever judging from the size of its thread. It flies great and is a good trainer to prepare for the taylorcraft.
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:17 PM
Break, fix, fly, break again
SkyPirate67's Avatar
United States, PA, Royersford
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
Well i had a lot of fun with my foam gws spitfire,,cheap,get the version with the better motor and its wicked fun ,,i snapped mine in half twice doing stupid things at 5 feet above the ground playing www1 pilot lol,,big crash = 10 mins with the glue so couldnt be easyer to fix
lol...I know! I got to know CA very well until I got better!
SkyPirate67 is offline Find More Posts by SkyPirate67
Last edited by SkyPirate67; Nov 20, 2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Didn't finish sentence
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:19 PM
Break, fix, fly, break again
SkyPirate67's Avatar
United States, PA, Royersford
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCplane View Post
Skypirate,
I suggest the T-28 regular size (44" wingspan). It is probably the most popular plane ever judging from the size of its thread. It flies great and is a good trainer to prepare for the taylorcraft.
That is what I thought. I will look around for one. I have a corsair but it is a nice one and don't want to go crazy with it until I get better with ailerons.
SkyPirate67 is offline Find More Posts by SkyPirate67
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:34 PM
Just having fun
Fredriksson's Avatar
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPirate67 View Post
That is what I thought. I will look around for one. I have a corsair but it is a nice one and don't want to go crazy with it until I get better with ailerons.
This is the ParkZone T-28 Trojan that is being spoken of. It is a very popular aileron trainer that can be very sporty too.

Another option is one of my favorites, the GWS E-Starter. It was designed to be an aileron trainer. HeadsUpRC.com is a great place and the suggestions in the link for a power set up will be spot on. HeadsUpRC is a great place to do business with. I still own and fly an E-Starter. I do like the looks and the flight characteristics of my Taylorcraft better but the E-Starter taught me a whole lot about 4 channel flight prior to getting my Taylorcraft.

Having fun with my GWS E-Starter (5 min 5 sec)


Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:40 PM
Break, fix, fly, break again
SkyPirate67's Avatar
United States, PA, Royersford
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredriksson View Post
This is the ParkZone T-28 Trojan that is being spoken of. It is a very popular aileron trainer that can be very sporty too.

Another option is one of my favorites, the GWS E-Starter. It was designed to be an aileron trainer. HeadsUpRC.com is a great place and the suggestions in the link for a power set up will be spot on. HeadsUpRC is a great place to do business with. I still own and fly an E-Starter. I do like the looks and the flight characteristics of my Taylorcraft better but the E-Starter taught me a whole lot about 4 channel flight prior to getting my Taylorcraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHRoZ2XZGsc

Freddy
Thanks! I like the looks of both. The GWS Estarter is sweet! Especially at $100.00 complete. I also like the T-28 for its size and is probably pretty fast! If I had to choose, I probably would start with the GWS Estarter for its price. Dunno...decisions!
SkyPirate67 is offline Find More Posts by SkyPirate67
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
Registered User
Northern California
Joined Sep 2002
402 Posts
Just finished building up my kit that has been sitting in my attic since it first came out.
I can't believe I waited this long to build it. What a sweet flying airplane!

I have read through most of this monster thread, and perhaps I missed it, but are there any better wheels that fit the wheel pants? Mine are already getting flat spots after only a half dozen flights (with lots of touch and gos) and need to order up some replacements. Not willing to go bigger and forsake the fairings though, they are just too pretty. I am thinks perhaps the 2" GWS foam. The stock wheels are 1.75 inch, but I think there is room for 2". Actually, my wheels were two different ones in the kit. Slightly different diameter, different compound and one hole was too small. Any help is appreciated!
fogflyer is offline Find More Posts by fogflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:18 PM
Things that do fly
Magic k2's Avatar
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogflyer View Post
Just finished building up my kit that has been sitting in my attic since it first came out.
I can't believe I waited this long to build it. What a sweet flying airplane!

I have read through most of this monster thread, and perhaps I missed it, but are there any better wheels that fit the wheel pants? Mine are already getting flat spots after only a half dozen flights (with lots of touch and gos) and need to order up some replacements. Not willing to go bigger and forsake the fairings though, they are just too pretty. I am thinks perhaps the 2" GWS foam. The stock wheels are 1.75 inch, but I think there is room for 2". Actually, my wheels were two different ones in the kit. Slightly different diameter, different compound and one hole was too small. Any help is appreciated!
When you go up size by a lot you could raise the fairings to get extra room and not spoil the look too much.
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:32 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogflyer View Post
J
perhaps I missed it, but are there any better wheels that fit the wheel pants?
Usually wheels develop flat spots because of sitting in one place for extended periods of time. I hang my models up. How do you store your TC?

CR
Charley38 is online now Find More Posts by Charley38
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:20 PM
Break, fix, fly, break again
SkyPirate67's Avatar
United States, PA, Royersford
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
The ultraCote on the vertical stab and rudder are loose and lumpy (excuse my choice of words ). I have never worked with covering before. Do I use a heat gun to shrink it? Appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Charles
SkyPirate67 is offline Find More Posts by SkyPirate67
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:23 PM
Registered User
Mendo's Avatar
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPirate67 View Post
The ultraCote on the vertical stab and rudder are loose and lumpy (excuse my choice of words ). I have never worked with covering before. Do I use a heat gun to shrink it? Appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Charles
You will want an iron with a sock for tightening on solid surfaces, the gun for open bays and so forth. Just start low temp on the iron and work slowly, especially where there is trim or overlapping layers of covering.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:27 PM
Break, fix, fly, break again
SkyPirate67's Avatar
United States, PA, Royersford
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
You will want an iron with a sock for tightening on solid surfaces, the gun for open bays and so forth. Just start low temp on the iron and work slowly, especially where there is trim or overlapping layers of covering.

Mendo

Thanks Mendo. I will have to get an iron. Any suggestions?
SkyPirate67 is offline Find More Posts by SkyPirate67
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:39 PM
Registered User
Mendo's Avatar
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPirate67 View Post
Thanks Mendo. I will have to get an iron. Any suggestions?
The good old Hangar9 iron works fine, get a sock for it as well.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ng-iron-HAN101

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...on-sock-HAN141

If you dont have a heat gun, they have a combo for like $32 with both.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...combo-HAN14#t1

That should get you pointed in the right direction.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:19 PM
Break, fix, fly, break again
SkyPirate67's Avatar
United States, PA, Royersford
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
The good old Hangar9 iron works fine, get a sock for it as well.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ng-iron-HAN101

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...on-sock-HAN141

If you dont have a heat gun, they have a combo for like $32 with both.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...combo-HAN14#t1

That should get you pointed in the right direction.

Mendo

Thanks Mendo! I appreciate the help! I am going to go for the combo. I have a heat gun that isn't very good from when I worked alot with electronics for work and play. I was surprised it actually turned on! lol
SkyPirate67 is offline Find More Posts by SkyPirate67
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:06 PM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
I just finished tightening a rather "loose and lumpy" 80" Canadair. It came absolutely wrinkled beyond belief. I bought both an iron and a heat gun and I found that its best to take an iron and do the edges first then take the heat gun and slowly apply heat to the area....works like MAGIC. I found the iron took too long compared to the gun for the other open larger parts of the plane, the gun works within seconds. Make big swooping circles and it will tighten in all directions equally. I also have my TC with some wrinkles that I am planning on fixing.
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:07 PM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
SkyPirate, from one TC owner to another I just wanted to give a few tips I learned along the way, it wasnt long ago that I recieved this plane as a gift and I was looking for the same sort of answers. This was also my 2nd plane after the HZ SuperCub.
-For whatever reason MY plane needed a of trim, all the surfaces were pefectly lined up when I built it and wow was it ever untrimmed when I maidened it. I think it might be due to the wing or horizontal stab being warped or perhaps it was epoxied on with a slight twist. So do a once over on the plane and check that out. You cant really correct it before the flight but if you get a wonky maiden youll know why. On my maiden I quickly learned how untrimmed it was on takeoff, it was almost unflyable plus it was a bit tail heavy too. So get good at trimming on the fly! You may never need that skill but its a great skill to have. All my flying buddies get me to trim their planes now. Back to the plane - once I got it trimmed out all was well.
-Be 100% sure about your CG point. Unfortunatley putting the battery in and out of this plane is complete pain but do your homework and youll be rewarded.
-Watch out for the tip stall tendenices on this plane too, it has been rumoured to tip stall quite easily. I keep my speed up to avoid this, ive experienced this a few misakes high so I know how to avoid it now.
-You likely already know this but when you turn you gotta come out of a turn "unturning" so to speak. It is nothing like the SuperCub, it will not correct itself at all. If you leave it banked it will stay banked. I didnt think it would be that different....but it is. But once you get used to it its very simple. Also dont be shy about using lower rates and some expo. On my dx6i for low rates I have 70% rate and 15% expo. Dont be shy to even use 30% expo. Youll find its twitchy in comparison to the supercub but youll adjust in seconds....just insure yourself for the first few seconds! LOL. I have a 480 in mine and this plane is by far my most aerobatic of all my planes, except my 3D plane. Not only does it zip along really nicely but it can loop and roll like crazy. I love doing outside loops and 1/2 cuban 8s, this plane is just so unasumming and is really overpowered in the air..... I just love it. I have my TC on skiis at the moment and taking off and landing on skiis is just so much fun. And on a side note to your corsair, my 3rd plane was a PZ P47. I maidened it about 4-5 flights after my TC maiden and I gotta say once you can fly the TC youll find the warbird slower, less aerobatic and dare I say easier to fly. Congrats and good luck with your TC!!!!
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product E flite Taylorcraft for 450 or 480 P-51C Scale ARF/RTF 23 May 23, 2009 05:11 AM
Discussion E-Flite park 450 outrunner, 980kV - suggested plane(s) or kits? dougaustin Power Systems 4 Jul 01, 2006 02:49 AM
Wanted E-Flite Park 450 Outrunner Twmaster Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Jun 17, 2006 11:41 AM
For Sale E-Flite Park 450 outrunner motor(3 days old) wilsonbueno Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Mar 01, 2006 10:10 PM
Question E-flite Park 450 vs Hacker A20-20L Jimmy Hoffa Power Systems 2 Dec 19, 2005 02:29 PM