HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2014, 11:56 PM
Joined May 2014
17 Posts
Discussion
Icon A5 tail wag fix

So as we all know the parkzone Icon A5 (not the umx version) has a tail wag issue. As I have looked through the internet I tried a mod that actually worked. In installed 2 carbon fiber rods. One parallel to the belly of the plane and the other one parallel to the vertical fin. It took in my opinion about 70% of the tail wag. Usually it doesn't wag anymore except in the 2 following occasions. 1st in high dives after a loop, and2nd going with the wind in relatively strong winds. What both of these have in common is that they allow the prop to windmill because I take power away to avoid going to fast. Many people say that the turbulence caused by the windmilling prop causes the tail wag. My esc has the option a hard, medium, soft break. Since I'm new to setting things up myself I don't know much about this. I set up the medium break. I have tried it yet. So my question is, is medium ok? Or do I need to set a stronger break? And is the break unhealthy for both esc and motor? Thanks for forming part of this conversation. Have a nice day....

If you have any other mod that worked please fell free to share...
Chino.Ve is offline Find More Posts by Chino.Ve
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2014, 06:37 PM
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
tail waggle fix.

ICON A5 with tail Fin Mod. (10 min 2 sec)

Hope this link works for you. This video shows that the tail waggle can be fixed using additional fins on the underside of the horizontal stabiliser. I think the music is of the band "Yes" though I don't know which particular album. Classic seventies prog rock. Anyway, I see no tail waggle when otherwise there definitely would be. The reasoning here is that, when the plane is descending without much throttle, the fin is in a zone of turbulence caused by the rather bulbous cockpit/motor mount, therefore rendering it useless in stabilizing yaw. The extra side fins are outside the zone of turbulence so are effective.
truths111 is offline Find More Posts by truths111