HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2013, 08:34 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
Discussion
AS3X on a 3 channel plane

Anyone use an AS3X brick on a RET 3 channel plane? Anyone see any problems with the gyro on the rudder?
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2013, 09:25 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,023 Posts
its been done and works fine.
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Dec 08, 2013, 08:03 PM
Need less hobbies, more toys
United States, AR
Joined Oct 2013
1,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
its been done and works fine.
I want to know this as well. For example, do I need to disable the rudder gyro since the rudder is plugged in to the aileron RX port?
DaddyBigas is online now Find More Posts by DaddyBigas
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2013, 11:19 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBigas View Post
I want to know this as well. For example, do I need to disable the rudder gyro since the rudder is plugged in to the aileron RX port?
no, the rudder gyro wont affect anything since nothing is plugged into it.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 12:39 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBigas View Post
If you plug the Rudder servo into the aileron port on an AS3X RX, it might do some non-desireable things.

Best to get a programmer and disable the AS3X on the aileron channel, or use the rudder channel and a good TX (with a Aileron to Rudder mix)

If you leave the RX "as-is" and Plug the rudder into the Aileron port (to get both on right stick), and you try to turn the plane... the dihedral induces roll, which the AS3X will try to correct with opposite rudder.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 09, 2013, 06:50 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
If you plug the Rudder servo into the aileron port on an AS3X RX, it might do some non-desireable things.

Best to get a programmer and disable the AS3X on the aileron channel, or use the rudder channel and a good TX (with a Aileron to Rudder mix)

If you leave the RX "as-is" and Plug the rudder into the Aileron port (to get both on right stick), and you try to turn the plane... the dihedral induces roll, which the AS3X will try to correct with opposite rudder.
well, like I said, its been done, and presents no problems.

If you plug the rudder into the aileron port, and then try to turn the plane, it induces roll, correct, but why in the world would the AS3X try to correct with opposite rudder? Think about it, you are giving a ROLL command (aileron), and the plane rolls, there is nothing to correct, as the plane is doing exactly what the AS3X expects. On the other hand, if a gust hits the plane, and rolls it a bit to the right, the AS3X will see that and correct with left rudder, leveling the plane.....

It works for the same reason we put rudder on the aileron channel with a a R/E/T plane. Rudder on a 3ch plane does the same thing that aileron does on a 4ch plane....
Old Dec 09, 2013, 10:33 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Rudder doesn't directly control the roll axis, so the AS3X feedback will be all out of whack. Inducing roll isn't the same as directly controlling roll.

Using the rudder gyro to control yaw would likely work a lot better than the roll gyro.

By plugging the rudder servo into the aileron channel, Yaw would be undamped, the roll damping would likely be out of phase.

Somebody who has successfully controlled yaw with a roll axis gyro can chime in, but I don't see it being all that successful.

A RET plane with a lot of built in stability, like a Champ, wouldn't notice the badness too much, but I would think you could still notice it.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 10:58 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,023 Posts
Theory is fine, but real world experience doesn't agree with the theory. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5357
Old Dec 10, 2013, 09:28 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Theory is fine, but real world experience doesn't agree with the theory. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5357
As I said:

"A RET plane with a lot of built in stability, like a Champ, wouldn't notice the badness too much, but I would think you could still notice it."

If a plane has a high degree of stability in roll, the AS3X isn't doing anything, anyway.

If the plane is a low wing, the AS3X could cause quirky behaviour.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:38 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,023 Posts
well, high stability it pretty well required for a R/E/T plane, which is what is being questioned in the thread so.....

The one low wing R/E/T plane I have ever tried flew quirky to begin with. It was a mustang that I deleted the ailerons and added dihedral... it liked to start turning fine, but getting it to go straight again was another matter....