HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:01 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
60" Laser is on the way!

Originally Posted by hone1er
Dang hobby shop needs to open already! I lost my tail wheel yesterday so i need to get a replacement. I made it to the 500 flight mark with the MXS though and it's still my favorite. I'll probably need a second one soon, i'm surprised i haven't killed it already. I've been buying and selling A LOT of planes but this one is here to stay! It's just ridiculously good and it looks awesome in the air! I can't believe the guys at EF say the 60'' Laser might be even better than the MXS

HOW CAN IT GET BETTER!?

I don't have the Laser or the 64" MXS yet. Three 48" Edge EXPs, two 48" Vanquishs, and two 60" Extra EXPs have been/are in my hangar. I sold my 2M Vanquish NIB to a fellow pattern enthusiast.

In the three years that I have been enjoying the superior design and manufacture of EF planes, I noticed that each new release was an improved and latest and greatest compared to previous releases. Chris Hinson said on the January 2013
3DRCForum.com podcast that he thought the 60" Laser might top the 64" MXS. Chris Jewett then put some packs through the upcoming 60" Laser and said, "Yeah, that's better than the MXS." Even so, the 64" MXS is a "must have" plane. As soon as MLT gives me the signal, I'll have the "perfect" plane matched to the "perfect" assembly.

Now as to "HOW CAN IT GET BETTER!?" I believe that Chris Hinson's continued striving for perfection with the EXP series combined with a factory that continues to make improvements with each manufacturing run accounts for the upcoming
60" Laser's progression to perfection.

I know that this is only a partial answer to your question, but I hope this helps. To get a more complete answer, we'll have to look to Chris Hinson and the Team Extreme pilots.
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:11 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,079 Posts
Hopefully I will get one of the first few, pop out the build overnight, and hammer the crap out of it the next day with video. I might even run another LIVE blog report, take pictures and post them as I build, then post the video when it is ready.

After it was done I went back and cleaned up up some, but you can still see it was a live report.

Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:24 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Letting the glue cure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Hopefully I will get one of the first few, pop out the build overnight, and hammer the crap out of it the next day with video.
Doc,

Will you at least let the glue cure for more than twelve hours before you hammer that brand new 60" Laser?
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Last edited by Trill; Jan 17, 2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:35 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Doc,

Will you at least let the glue dry for more than twelve hours before you hammer that brand new 60" Laser?
Of course not. It's going into the air the moment it's done!

Ooops ......... Sorry. I posted the same video twice and I really meant to post this one.......

Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:59 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
The gyropscopic ability of this plane is what i love the most about it.

60 is going to besick
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:25 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, OH, New Albany
Joined Jun 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
+1!!

With cooling scoops, and a larger air inlet for the esc, I've been running a Xoar 13x6(wood! Not a apc).. The numbers are only a hair higher than a 12x6apc, and still very Acceptable. The performance gain is great, with a bit more air over the control surfaces. After six minutes of hard flying the motor, and ESC are warm to the touch, and my 65c Genace 2200 Packs Stay very cool..

Be warned! don't just throw a 13x6 prop on your plane and expected to be fine. I went with a Xoar because The numbers are more mild. I also monitored the heat range until the set up was PERFECT. Proper cooling is a must on these planes, when you start pushing the numbers!

These days all of my planes are baffled. from 48 inch, up to 78", A must in my opinion..
That's good to hear. I was getting ready to go Xoar 13x6 on mine. I currently have a Phoenix 45 ESC in there, but I'm not happy with the performance on APC.

Should I up it to an Ice 50? How many amps are you getting?
blaiss is offline Find More Posts by blaiss
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:55 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaiss View Post
. I currently have a Phoenix 45 ESC in there......,
Can you set that up to run the servos on 6 volts?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:40 PM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Jun 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Can you set that up to run the servos on 6 volts?
Not with a Phoenix on 4s. I am using a separate bec. The Castle Ice 50 will allow me to go to 6v.

I am also unhappy with my HS-65 on the elevator. Switching to either a Savox digital or an HS-85. Still trying to decide.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:53 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,693 Posts
Quote:
Not with a Phoenix on 4s. I am using a separate bec. The Castle Ice 50 will allow me to go to 6v.

I am also unhappy with my HS-65 on the elevator. Switching to either a Savox digital or an HS-85. Still trying to decide.
I used the Pheonix 45 for my torque motor in the beginning with the CC 10 BEC... was a pretty sweet setup. 85mg will give you many flights and keep on ticking.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:07 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,079 Posts
Quote:
If you can adjust that BEC, I suggest bumping it up to 6V. The servos are much less likely to stall or blow back when they have all that extra grunt, plus they are faster on the higher voltage.

Quote:
I am also unhappy with my HS-65 on the elevator. Switching to either a Savox digital or an HS-85.
I'm a big fan of the HS85MG, but you will have to modify the servo opening to get it to fit properly. It's not a hard job, but you might find this helpful....... Installing The HS85MG Servo On the Elevator
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:39 PM
ChangeBegins AtTheDinnerTable
Raleigh , N.C.
Joined Jun 2006
422 Posts
Got this weekend off and plan on getting the laser assembled . I have a hs 85mg for the elevator and a Hs 65mg for the rudder but 65hb's for the ailerons . Can I get away with them ?
killowatt is offline Find More Posts by killowatt
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:31 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killowatt View Post
Got this weekend off and plan on getting the laser assembled . I have a hs 85mg for the elevator and a Hs 65mg for the rudder but 65hb's for the ailerons . Can I get away with them ?
I run an 85MG on my elevator, but you have to be careful cutting it out to make sure you don't move the output shaft forward or backwards.

Also, you really need metal gears all the way around. These are such high performing airframes that they really stress the gears out.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:40 PM
ChangeBegins AtTheDinnerTable
Raleigh , N.C.
Joined Jun 2006
422 Posts
Quote:
I run an 85MG on my elevator, but you have to be careful cutting it out to make sure you don't move the output shaft forward or backwards.

Also, you really need metal gears all the way around. These are such high performing airframes that they really stress the gears out.
Thanks , checked out your blog to see how its done . Digging round the shop I found replacement metal gear sets . Mg's all the way round . Have to say I am pretty happy with the build so far. The horizontal stab and elevator glued in very true no shim required and I Really like the ball link set up for the control surfaces ...Smooth
killowatt is offline Find More Posts by killowatt
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:49 PM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Jun 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
If you can adjust that BEC, I suggest bumping it up to 6V. The servos are much less likely to stall or blow back when they have all that extra grunt, plus they are faster on the higher voltage.

I'm a big fan of the HS85MG, but you will have to modify the servo opening to get it to fit properly. It's not a hard job, but you might find this helpful....... Installing The HS85MG Servo On the Elevator
Thanks for the info. My BEC is set for 6v now.

Resizing the elevator hole for an 85 is one concern. That's why I'm considering the Savox, which I hear will drop right in.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:50 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
The Savox SH-0255MG will drop right in.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is online now Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540