HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:41 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
i thought I read somewhere in this thread that there was a kit that you get to allow the mqx board to work with brushless motors??

has anyone done this or heard of doing this, or am i just making stuff up?

thanks
There's no way to mount the motors and no place to mount ESCs or converters. You would also need do some fancy soldering. The cost would be more than buying a complete quad kit and be much more difficult to put together. Somebody over a Helifreak did it and it has been mentioned here. Here's a link: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....377068&page=18.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:15 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
There's no way to mount the motors and no place to mount ESCs or converters. You would also need do some fancy soldering. The cost would be more than buying a complete quad kit and be much more difficult to put together. Somebody over a Helifreak did it and it has been mentioned here. Here's a link: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....377068&page=18.
Thanks...after i posted that question i decided i should use the search and i came across that article.

the reason i ask is because i wanted to see if i could use this board with a slightly larger frame...figured a brushless system would work better on a larger frame..
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:25 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
bad boom

looking over my mqx today, I noticed one of my booms had a good amount of twist to it even though I replaced it recently due to a split boom. I replaced it with yet another boom and it is fine now.

with the split boom I replaced you could see the cracks on both sides running down it (and could even pull it apart in 2 if you wanted). this one upon close inspection 'looks' fine.

am I missing something or can these booms start flexing even before they become cracked??
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
looking over my mqx today, I noticed one of my booms had a good amount of twist to it even though I replaced it recently due to a split boom. I replaced it with yet another boom and it is fine now.

with the split boom I replaced you could see the cracks on both sides running down it (and could even pull it apart in 2 if you wanted). this one upon close inspection 'looks' fine.

am I missing something or can these booms start flexing even before they become cracked??
They flex slightly (very little) when all in one piece but once they crack they flex more and more. The more they crack/flex, the more unstable the MQX gets.

I have gone through no less than six booms thus far. I am seriously thinking of trying the aluminum tubes someone found and posted earlier in this thread.

That being said ... I finished my "from scratch" quad build using the HobbyKing KK board and .. OH MAN .. this thing is a HOOT! I have to say I like flying it more than the MQX at this point .. BUT ... I still fly the MQX for practice because I'd MUCH rather crash the MQX than crash this thing .. it's a major PITA to fix!!
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:17 AM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post
BUT ... I still fly the MQX for practice because I'd MUCH rather crash the MQX than crash this thing .. it's a major PITA to fix!!
AFAIC the major selling point of the mQX -- and the reason I agree with Blade's claim "the pilot's quadcopter". You can try out whatever you want knowing it will essentially shrug off any crash and you'll keep on flying (provided you stay over longish grass). Most of the bigger tris and quads are heavy and powerful enough to sustain some sort of major damage.

I've had the mQX since January, flown probably 250 packs since then, crashed various times, and the entire damage is two props (both broken when hitting the wall or floor indoors). Booms, shell, wires, motors, shafts - all original issue.
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:18 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
Hey guys sorry if this has been asked already I'm new to the MQX I'm flitting with a dx61 and was hoping someone could give me some good setup numbers for my dx61
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:22 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
Hey guys sorry if this has been asked already I'm new to the MQX I'm flitting with a dx61 and was hoping someone could give me some good setup numbers for my dx61
"dx61" => "dx6i"?

Are you flying indoors or outdoors?
How much experience do you have (with multi-rotors, helis, aircraft in general)?

Thanks.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
"dx61" => "dx6i"?

Are you flying indoors or outdoors?
How much experience do you have (with multi-rotors, helis, aircraft in general)?

Thanks.
lol DX6I lol sorry...

I have had smaller helis a few years back like the cb 100 and a few others like it.
I also fly planes like the t-28 super cub wildcat spitfire and more so i have good flying skills but tis is my first multi im flying it around the house now and all seems ok a little touchy...
Outside it does not seem to have a very steady stance no real wind to speak of less then 1mph if anything
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:52 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
For tame indoor flight I like to use these Dual/Expo rates:

Elevator: DR = 45% / Expo = +40%
Aileron: DR = 45% / Expo = +40%
Rudder: DR = 90% / Expo = +60%

For Outdoor Flight:

Elevator: DR = 100% / Expo = +60%
Aileron: DR = 100% / Expo = +60%
Rudder: DR = 100% / Expo = +60%
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
Having recently received a DX6i, the change from the stock RTF unit is amazing. I wasn't sure what changes to make so I jumped on the first set I found. Fifty percent d/r for all but the yaw, which remained at one hundred percent. I set the exponential to zero and don't feel I've lost much by doing so.

It's so much easier to fly in calm winds now and if things get a bit windier, it's easy enough to flip the switch.

I discovered that the throttle cut-off switch is live and need to change that! It drops darn fast when you accidentally bump that switch.
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
637 Posts
I am in the club

Name: IMG121.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 236.5 KB
Description:

All I can say about the MQx out of the box, binded in Acro with a DX6i.... Fun.
No adjustment needed at all, straight up perfect out of the box. I took it outside in the wind, that I live with here. Its a wind warrior compared to the 120.
Handled the daily breeze that I have here... like I have no breeze.
Very sensitive around the mid stick in Acro, I will be switching to Heli and dialing it in a bit.
But out of the box in Acro, the MQx flew perfect. The MQx could become a favorite in my fleet.
Blackanthem is online now Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:12 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,052 Posts
In heli mode with some adjustments she will be your daily pleaser-Keep it secret from the wife though. Happy flying
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:36 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,773 Posts
well i finally got around to building a frame for my extra MQX board.
i took 4 tail booms from the 120sr and cut them down to fit then purchased the props for the ladybird and this little guy is a great outdoor flier. indoors it has a bit of oscilation from the motors while trying to stay steady(nothing bad ) but outside as long as you keep this little guy moving it flies great with no oscilation and does rolls and flips with ease.
so far I have tried 240mah battery and it flew great for about 7 minutes or so and had 3.4v left in batt when done. todayI want to try a 160mah battery i have to see if it can handle the current.
here is a pic
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:09 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
well i finally got around to building a frame for my extra MQX board.
i took 4 tail booms from the 120sr and cut them down to fit then purchased the props for the ladybird and this little guy is a great outdoor flier. indoors it has a bit of oscilation from the motors while trying to stay steady(nothing bad ) but outside as long as you keep this little guy moving it flies great with no oscilation and does rolls and flips with ease.
so far I have tried 240mah battery and it flew great for about 7 minutes or so and had 3.4v left in batt when done. todayI want to try a 160mah battery i have to see if it can handle the current.
here is a pic
Another similar hybrid: 4 ladybird arm/motor/prop combos stuck into an mQx frame (the ladybird arms fit into an mQx frame) and board:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1647401
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:01 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
I'm in love this thing is pretty fun and can sure take a beating lol...