Old Mar 21, 2015, 06:53 PM
Find More Posts by Luckyducky
AMA 179
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Dec 2007
112 Posts
Discussion
SoCal ALES Contests

My nephew and I flew in our first ALES contest out in Riverside, CA a few months ago and had a great time. We've been looking for more contests in the SoCal area, but haven't found any. With all the great weather I'd have expected more activity...

Are we not looking in the right places, or is SoCal a sort of "dead zone" for ALES?

Thanks for any help finding SoCal ALES!
Luckyducky is offline Find More Posts by Luckyducky
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2015, 08:37 PM
Find More Posts by rev.iain
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
655 Posts
Here in AZ we have an ALES and an F5J event on separate Saturdays each month. Two flyers regularly commute to the Phoenix area from Southern Cal. to fly in our events for just the reason you ask.

Come and join us!

Iain
rev.iain is offline Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Mar 21, 2015, 09:36 PM
Find More Posts by Imageek2
Bad command or file name
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Jan 2013
465 Posts
I remember you and your nephew from the Riverside contest. We are having our monthly SC2 contest tomorrow in San Pedro. Every month there is a contest at a different field. ALES is one of the classes. Here is the flyer.

http://sc2soaring.com/wp-content/upl...ed-by-SULA.pdf

And there is more info in this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2307162

Come on out, it's a great bunch of pilots and we would be happy to have you.

Tom
Imageek2 is offline Find More Posts by Imageek2
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:09 PM
Find More Posts by Mr B....
Mfg of the Marauder & Oculus!
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,686 Posts
Just got home from the AZ contest and placed 4th. Great group of guys to fly with.

Merrill
Mr B.... is online now Find More Posts by Mr B....
Old Mar 22, 2015, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by GotLift9369
United States, CA, Hesperia
Joined Mar 2009
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyducky View Post
My nephew and I flew in our first ALES contest out in Riverside, CA a few months ago and had a great time. We've been looking for more contests in the SoCal area, but haven't found any. With all the great weather I'd have expected more activity...

Are we not looking in the right places, or is SoCal a sort of "dead zone" for ALES?

Thanks for any help finding SoCal ALES!
As mentioned, an SC2 (Southern California Soaring Clubs) contest was held today with some of the competitors using ALES setups for launch instead of winch. Limitors set for 150 meters. It is just required to launch along the winch lines in the winch area. There are 8 clubs in SoCal participating in the competition circuit with a contest pretty much each month.
GotLift9369 is offline Find More Posts by GotLift9369
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:59 AM
AMA 179
Joined Dec 2007
112 Posts
Thanks to all for the ALES in SoCal leads, we'll follow up and participate. It was interesting to discover ALES included in contests I thought were only for winch gliders!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by SteveK123
Registered Cruiser
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Jan 2013
240 Posts
ALES in So Cal

I just flew in my 2nd ALES contest with the SC2 gang................Great experience and everyone was super helpful..........Just show up and compete.........You'll have a lot of fun!
SteveK123 is offline Find More Posts by SteveK123
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Team Futaba
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,011 Posts
Frankly I am amazed that ALES/F5J has not caught on yet here in SOCAL. E-soaring frees contests to go full man on man, no winch worries, no line breaks, no winch lines, etc. Plus it is far easier to practice. No winch or hi-start to set up, no equipment worries, etc. Just charge the packs and go fly.

I've asked a few folks and the answer I get most frequently is "Cost". Fair point, but when you compare it to the benefits I still think e-soaring is the winner.

I'd like to see some F5J contests here in SOCAL. Unlike Merrill and LJ I am not up for the long slog to AZ twice a month!!

Having ALES at the SC2 contests will be nice, but it sure would be fun to have some stand alone contests as well.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Mar 25, 2015, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by GotLift9369
United States, CA, Hesperia
Joined Mar 2009
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
Frankly I am amazed that ALES/F5J has not caught on yet here in SOCAL. E-soaring frees contests to go full man on man, no winch worries, no line breaks, no winch lines, etc. Plus it is far easier to practice. No winch or hi-start to set up, no equipment worries, etc. Just charge the packs and go fly.

I've asked a few folks and the answer I get most frequently is "Cost". Fair point, but when you compare it to the benefits I still think e-soaring is the winner.

I'd like to see some F5J contests here in SOCAL. Unlike Merrill and LJ I am not up for the long slog to AZ twice a month!!

Having ALES at the SC2 contests will be nice, but it sure would be fun to have some stand alone contests as well.
What your dealing with in SC2 is a group of flyers who have been doing this for a long time. Most in this group, including myself, enjoy the whole package in it's purest form ....the launch tactics , the thermal hunt and the landing. We all have ALES ships, however, I for one most enjoy flying off a winch. This isn't to say there shouldn't be ALES events. There have been some in the past with weak turn outs. Perhaps more time is needed.
GotLift9369 is offline Find More Posts by GotLift9369
Old Mar 25, 2015, 03:48 PM
Team Futaba
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,011 Posts
Yep, I get where SC2 is and has been . I've been flying SC2 since I moved here in 1992 (on and off). I've been mostly a winch TD guy for all those years as well.

It is just curious to me how in SOCAL, arguably one of the hubs of RC soaring in the US, E-soaring seems relegated to sport flying for most people. I know there have been a couple of ALES contests that had "OK" participation, but let's face it, winch based soaring is not growing either.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 07:00 PM
AMA 179
Joined Dec 2007
112 Posts
Quote:
Yep, I get where SC2 is and has been . I've been flying SC2 since I moved here in 1992 (on and off). I've been mostly a winch TD guy for all those years as well.

It is just curious to me how in SOCAL, arguably one of the hubs of RC soaring in the US, E-soaring seems relegated to sport flying for most people. I know there have been a couple of ALES contests that had "OK" participation, but let's face it, winch based soaring is not growing either.
As a free flight modeler during the 1950-70s in SoCal, launching FAI power and A-2 gliders was to me the purest form of model aviation. ALES combines those particular flavors in a very low-cost competitive area. I too am surprised more ALES enthusiasts aren't beating the bushes looking for contests. As glad as I am to discover ALES included with winch competition, I am dismayed that the contest announcements I've seen so far don't publicize this entry category. I wish they would do so.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 07:26 PM
Team Futaba
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,011 Posts
FWIW regardless of what the flyer says, or does not, ALES is an official class at all SC2 contests for 2015. From the rules:

Quote:
11. Two additional classes will also be flown: ALES and RES. The RES class is defined by the current AMA rulebook. The ALES class will be any glider with an electric motor and approved altitude limiting device.
Here's the SC website: http://sc2soaring.com/
Old Mar 25, 2015, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by s2000
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,916 Posts
From a cost point, the Radian does marvelous in an ALES event, as long as the wind doesn't blow too strong the Radin is competitive. Too bad we don't have more ALES events, it's a great format and no winches, what could be easier?
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Mar 26, 2015, 01:10 AM
Team Futaba
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
Too bad we don't have more ALES events, it's a great format and no winches, what could be easier?
ZACKLY!!!!

The AZ boys are tearing it up with one ALES AND one F5J contest per month!! Truthfully, the 5J format sounds like the best overall, but hey, even just plain old ALES would be fine with me!!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 09:50 AM
AMA 179
Joined Dec 2007
112 Posts
Quote:
FWIW regardless of what the flyer says, or does not, ALES is an official class at all SC2 contests for 2015. From the rules:

Here's the SC website: http://sc2soaring.com/
Thanks so much for this info! Had I known earlier my nephew and I would have been out there attending more contests!

"It is possible to fly without motors,
but not without knowledge and skill."
— Wilbur Wright