HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2013, 07:40 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
462 Posts
Build Log
110" Consolidated B-24D

Ok you guys are having waayyy to much fun sticking things together. Now its my turn!!
This will be my first cut the tiny parts out build and the second thing with over 100" span (got a Riser 100 res) Power so far is looking to be 4 Power 25's. Got one hooked up and with 3s 2200 lipo churnin 11/8 3blade Master Airscrew saw average watts at 345, amps were sitting at 35... hmmm times four.. yay!!! kilowatt club membership!! I will be picking and probing all the collective brains at some time so be warned..
jt
jpt62 is offline Find More Posts by jpt62
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
462 Posts
Post man...

Brings goodies!!! Got these and some wood to mangle with the bandsaw..
jt
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:26 PM
Mount Juliet, TN
Joined Feb 2008
451 Posts
Sweet! love the 24. Subscribed!
ska2000 is offline Find More Posts by ska2000
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:07 PM
Joined Feb 2012
462 Posts
Some time spent on my "light table" cutting up almost a half ream of paper...
Fun when you have to use 3 different programs to get prints... Acrobat Reader wont let me copy out the parts I wanted so over to Acrobat to extract the image and then into Photoshop to edit out the smaller parts.. Ctrl C, N, V and finally Ctrl P makes nice parts ready for the "light table". I played a bit with Illustrator to see if it would work easier but so-so results..
jt
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:07 AM
USA, OR, Medford
Joined Apr 2005
79 Posts
Your light table is a pinball machine. That is awesome..
Radiokai is online now Find More Posts by Radiokai
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:51 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,688 Posts
Hi jpt62: I noticed your test of the 25 showing 345watts at 35 amps. If the battery was fully charged before test, I'd suspect the battery is not up to the challenge or the 11/8/3 places way too much load on the motor. 345w @35a = 9.85v, way below what modern 3s batteries should deliver (closer to 11volts). Just asking and curious. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:00 PM
Mount Juliet, TN
Joined Feb 2008
451 Posts
I thought I'd seen everything.... but a pinball machine light table? Cool
ska2000 is offline Find More Posts by ska2000
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:11 PM
Joined Feb 2012
462 Posts
yup works great and when one gets bored cutting, flip down the play field and shoot the silverball for a while
jt
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
Hi jpt62: I noticed your test of the 25 showing 345watts at 35 amps. If the battery was fully charged before test, I'd suspect the battery is not up to the challenge or the 11/8/3 places way too much load on the motor. 345w @35a = 9.85v, way below what modern 3s batteries should deliver (closer to 11volts). Just asking and curious. Doug B
Doug it may well have not been fully charged.. will go and retest soon..
jt
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:39 PM
Joined Feb 2012
462 Posts
Ok time to pick the collective brain.. can we say Borg here? Looking at the wing retention system the designer has thoughtfully provided to attach the very long skinny wings, see attached picture. Now unless my math and keen observation skills are out of whack, Straight tubes going into aforementioned wings which are built withe the proscribed 3.5 degrees of dihedral are gonna not fit too easiely.. Question is... can I bend the fuse tubes up to make the wings slide into the fuse?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:27 PM
Joined Feb 2012
462 Posts
Small bit of progress...

Got all the fuse parts pruned out of the tree.. Still have all the ends of the fingers...
jt
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:28 PM
Joined Feb 2012
462 Posts
Room...

gotta find space to build this monster...
jt
Old May 01, 2013, 09:01 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt62 View Post
Ok time to pick the collective brain.. can we say Borg here? Looking at the wing retention system the designer has thoughtfully provided to attach the very long skinny wings, see attached picture. Now unless my math and keen observation skills are out of whack, Straight tubes going into aforementioned wings which are built withe the proscribed 3.5 degrees of dihedral are gonna not fit too easiely.. Question is... can I bend the fuse tubes up to make the wings slide into the fuse?
Nah. If I'm reading the snippet of plans correctly, you might notice the tube enters each successive rib at a lower point, from root outward. It would be a "good idea" to make sure each right/left rib pair has the joiner hole at the same position top to bottom, fore and aft (cutting each pair while the balsa "blanks" are held together should make this easier). With the joiner tube mounted squarely in the fuse, the wings should "self-rig" to the correct dihedral.

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old May 01, 2013, 10:05 PM
Joined Feb 2012
462 Posts
James,
I may have to mock up this area too see whats gonna happen. It looks like the bottm of the wing is gonna get scraped off or the sides of the fuse will. The ribs are sitting at 90° to the ground line. Wing is built on a jig which is supposed to "align" the AI, Dihedral and tip washout all at the same time....
jt
Old May 01, 2013, 10:56 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt62 View Post
James,
I may have to mock up this area too see whats gonna happen. It looks like the bottm of the wing is gonna get scraped off or the sides of the fuse will. The ribs are sitting at 90° to the ground line. Wing is built on a jig which is supposed to "align" the AI, Dihedral and tip washout all at the same time....
jt
Ah! I see what you're talking about, now!

Definitely worth exploring further...

The designer/draftsman certainly likes his abbreviations!

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce