HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:40 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,088 Posts
Discussion
Conventional Hex or Y6?

OK, I'm looking at a new copter using a Naza and GPS, primarily with the intention of carrying a Panasonic compact camera. I was originally planning to go with the DJI Flamewheel hex frame, but it struck me, from reading on this forum, that a single ESC or motor failure on a conventional Hex type is very likely to lead to a crash. I'm wondering if using the same equipment, but in a Y6 type is less likely to crash in case of a similar failure. So, I suppose the real question here is, will a Y6 still be flyable with one motor not running?
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:14 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
They both are still flyable assuming your 5 remaining motors can handle the weight used to be controlled by 6. Y6 are a lot more controllable if your weight is ok when their is a failure though.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, TX, El Paso
Joined Apr 2012
527 Posts
Hex.
Y6 did not give sufficient flight time when loaded down and I am at high altitude here in El Paso.
Jeffem62 is offline Find More Posts by Jeffem62
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:52 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Joined Mar 2001
3,088 Posts
OK, thanks for your opinions chaps. I can see that the lower props on a Y6 will always be working in the downwash of the upper props and that this could lead to vibes etc., but I can also see that the Y6 is going to be more controllable if a motor should stop in flight. I guess it's all down to a series of compromises, as always!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, TX, El Paso
Joined Apr 2012
527 Posts
Some are getting good results with the Y6, and say its smoother in flight. I think you will have vibration issues with any multi, just need to make sure you have good isolation to the Gimbal.
Jeffem62 is offline Find More Posts by Jeffem62
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:02 PM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTarling View Post
OK, thanks for your opinions chaps. I can see that the lower props on a Y6 will always be working in the downwash of the upper props and that this could lead to vibes etc., but I can also see that the Y6 is going to be more controllable if a motor should stop in flight. I guess it's all down to a series of compromises, as always!
You wont see anymore vibes because of the coax design of a Y6. You will however find they are a bit less efficient. The trade off is they are MUCH smoother in the wind and for that reason I will be moving from a flat hex to a Y6 on my main machine.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:11 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Joined Mar 2001
3,088 Posts
I've ordered a Y6 frame and will give it a try. I can just swap everything over to a hex if I don't like it for any reason.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:33 AM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Yeah frames are cheap it's the motors, ESCs and flight controllers that cost money.