Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 17, 2011, 09:45 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Melnic's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,436 Posts
Discussion
New Airfield (FMS) J3 CUB 1400mm EPO

Looks like Nitroplanes has a large EPO cub

RTF (Everything you need, Tx/Rx, Battery)
http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a1403-1...w-rtf-24g.html

RX ready (no RX or Battery)
http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a1403-1...ellow-arf.html

Kit
http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a1403-1...ellow-kit.html


Looks like it should take a 3S pack and at 1340g (wonder if that includes battery) it should be pretty light.

I have a number of the Airfield Warbirds and the Cessna, so far so good
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 10, 2011 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:56 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Melnic's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,436 Posts
They have a video up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NtUqgenH83Q
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:57 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Looks great. There is also a 1400MM J3 Cub from Hobbyking with different decals and registration numbers. A different undercarriage configuration that adds 2 additional springs to the gear. Slightly different engine decoys color scheme and for the rest seems identical.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18597

Definitely on the list of future planes. Great job by both suppliers.
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 08, 2011, 05:30 PM
Registered User
Tail Wheel's Avatar
Houston
Joined Oct 2006
251 Posts
Could use an upgrage on those springs.

Or a better pilot.

Tail Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Tail Wheel
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2011, 07:52 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Wheel View Post
Could use an upgrage on those springs.
indeed, that's why the Hobbyking version has 4 springs. In real life there are only 2 springs.
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:52 PM
Registered User
Red Lodge, Montana
Joined Aug 2010
13 Posts
I have just received my Airfield J3 Cub from NitroPlanes. It looks well engineered and nicely manufactured. As a relatively new comer to the hobby, I lack a lot of experience in assembling these models and rely heavily on detailed instructions. The instructions that come with this model are not highly detailed. Does anybody know of instructions on line or any videos that may be helpful? Thanks.
Langlois is offline Find More Posts by Langlois
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:33 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlois View Post
I have just received my Airfield J3 Cub from NitroPlanes. It looks well engineered and nicely manufactured. As a relatively new comer to the hobby, I lack a lot of experience in assembling these models and rely heavily on detailed instructions. The instructions that come with this model are not highly detailed. Does anybody know of instructions on line or any videos that may be helpful? Thanks.
This is a closed thread on a Starmax 1400 J3 Cub that is identical. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384440


Mine is on order from Hobbyking but still no shipping details.
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 03:08 PM
Registered User
Red Lodge, Montana
Joined Aug 2010
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
This is a closed thread on a Starmax 1400 J3 Cub that is identical. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384440


Mine is on order from Hobbyking but still no shipping details.
Dear Shelterrock -

Thank you very much for the iformation you directed me to. That is exactly what I need. Thanks.

As I grow in the hobby, I hope to gain sufficient experience and know-how to be able to help others as you have done me. Hope you have fun with yours when it arrives. Thanks again!
Langlois is offline Find More Posts by Langlois
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:10 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Mine came in last night. USPS had no updates until it showed up on the doorstep.

I started the build last night at 9pm and was done by 11:15pm. Easy peasie.
2 things that are a problem. The Manual's pictures are tiny. I mounted the 4 springs in the landing gear upside down. easy enough to reverse, yet it works either way. The push rod for the rudder is very short, even too short. I haven't fired up the ESC and receiver yet since I need to solder an EC3 plug on the ESC instead of the XT60. So the servos are not yet centered.

The rudder mounted horn is too long and stricks against the elevator if you dive and turn right. Too close really. Will do some triming once I get a handle on the throws.

The 2 bolts that hold the main wing, go into 2 nuts in the plastic canopy. When they were installed and glued at the factory, they glued the threads also so that the bolts would not screw in. I removed them and need to replace them and install each correctly. Pictures to come.
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:12 AM
*Noted Nerd*
Oregon Craig's Avatar
United States, OR, Sandy
Joined Jul 2004
515 Posts
Hey Shelterock-

When did you order? Mine is in that same state...no updates but could be on the way?

I did not order until just this past Sunday however. Went with the green one, we have enough yellow cubs around here.
Oregon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Oregon Craig
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:00 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N7OR View Post
Hey Shelterock-

When did you order? Mine is in that same state...no updates but could be on the way?

I did not order until just this past Sunday however. Went with the green one, we have enough yellow cubs around here.
We ordered July 5th out of the US warehouse and arrived yesterday 13th so inside the 5-10 Business days promised. USPS doesn't update as frequently apparently. I saw 4 updates on the website of USPS with the tracking info the day it arrived.

Congrats on the Green choice. I'm surprised to see so few videos of these models around. I took pictures last night and will do some more as I disassemble the Motor/ESC to mount my battery plug. May just upgrade everything to a known entity instead of the mystery stuff under the hood.
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:45 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Melnic's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,436 Posts
Tail wheel, That was from their prototype I believe. Tony did mention that they were going to have that corrected in the production run. I didn't get a cub after all, I ended up getting a glider but am still curious about a foamie cub. Anyone get the Airfield one in the air yet?
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 02:19 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Tail wheel, That was from their prototype I believe. Tony did mention that they were going to have that corrected in the production run. I didn't get a cub after all, I ended up getting a glider but am still curious about a foamie cub. Anyone get the Airfield one in the air yet?
The Landing gear on the Hobbyking version seems different, in that a metal bar is bent into a form that slots into the fuselage and then bends down to the wheels. It essentially negates the flexible landing gear and the functionality of the springs. My landing gear is pretty stiff and if you crush the plane down and this metal bar bends, the srpings are not going to help it come back its original position. It'll be time to break out the pliers and straighten the undercarriage. You could build it without the springs and it would work just fine.
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 07:23 PM
*Noted Nerd*
Oregon Craig's Avatar
United States, OR, Sandy
Joined Jul 2004
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
We ordered July 5th out of the US warehouse and arrived yesterday 13th so inside the 5-10 Business days promised. USPS doesn't update as frequently apparently. I saw 4 updates on the website of USPS with the tracking info the day it arrived.

Congrats on the Green choice. I'm surprised to see so few videos of these models around. I took pictures last night and will do some more as I disassemble the Motor/ESC to mount my battery plug. May just upgrade everything to a known entity instead of the mystery stuff under the hood.
Well, mine has been in "printed and packing to ship" processing status for 4 days so far. We shall see... last order (2 lipos) was shipped on the 2nd day after ordering and arrived the next morning. Some delay this time apparently.

Post pictures and videos and all if you can.
Oregon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Oregon Craig
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:27 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
1400MM J3 we bought is set up for 4S and has a 45A ESC and 36-48 700kV motor vs the Nitroplanes 3S set up witha 30A ESC and 800kV. Also HK's version has a 12X9 prop vs an 11X7 prop on the Nitroplanes kit. The ARF kit is $149+ ship at Nitro and $135 deliver to my from HK US warehouse.

The Landing gear is different and the pieces of the tailwheel section doesn't have springs which may affect the Rudder servo negatively. May do an upgrade to a 17g rudder servo. Servo tray is different too.

Last night installed EC3 plug on ESC and glued in the nuts for the main wing and got the glue out of the threads. Need to bind her to the 9X turnigy and set up a profile and expos etc and she'll be in the air.

Unfortunately, Dentist is calling so it will have to be this afternoon maybe...
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion New HobbyKing Mini J3 Cub mmoncur Parkflyers 136 Jul 06, 2014 02:30 AM
Build Log Ugly Duckling to Beautiful beast BASH FMS/Airfield BF-109E Tom Hunt Electric Warbirds 153 Nov 20, 2011 01:25 PM
Discussion Airfield 4 Channel 1100mm J3 Piper Cub WeeksFlyer Parkflyers 1 Jun 08, 2011 01:52 PM
Discussion Removing Decals on Airfield/FMS P-51 FULLofWN Electric Warbirds 6 Mar 11, 2011 06:37 AM
Wanted Airfield / FMS 800mm Landing Gear Part lafuerza Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 Mar 05, 2011 11:08 PM