Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
New bixler 2:
Bigger with some improvements.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...laps_ARF_.html
Got pre cut and hinged flaps, hinged elev and rud, larger ailerons by the looks, lower kV motor and larger 7x4 prop.

Seems to be new and not another relabelled skysurfer, still has servo's mounted like the V1 too.
You forgot to mention 1500mm wingspan
flyvertigo is offline Find More Posts by flyvertigo
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:05 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
You forgot to mention 1500mm wingspan
Well, I did say bigger lol
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:07 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I'm going to do as you suggest, fly it on 100%. Was that flight your first flight with an RC plane?

DJ
Yes. Although my debt perception was not working and when I started to land I thought the plane was closer so when it came down it was on the other side of a couple of trees instead of in front. Good news was that I got it out of the tree without much issue.

Most of the flights with my SS has been with the basic 4 channel Tx with 100% throws. It has only be the last dozen or so that I used a Spektrum DX6i Tx with some minor setting modifications which are still basically 100%.

I just added "flap" control by plugging one of the ailerons into an aux channel. Everything else is pretty much the same.

If you haven't flown RC planes before then practicing with a simulator helps get your mind in the right place to control the plane. Most people (me included) moved the stick in the wrong direction when the plane was coming at me.

I learned to move the stick to the side that the wing was dipping to get the plane to flatten out again. Another way to practice is to use a small park flyer that has landing gear. Don't fly it just "drive" it back and forth on the ground to get in the habit of which way to make it turn properly.

Another good practice is to get it up 75 to 100 feet. That way if you make a mistake you have enough elevation to straighten it out. In technical terms that is called flying "1 Oh Sxxt up". Good luck with the flight.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:09 PM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Time to replace the SS?

I have been flying and crashing my poor Sky Surfer for a couple months now. I replaced the fuselage once, but have crashed it again and broke off the nose.

The wings seem really loose in the slots, so I'm wondering if these foam planes just plain "wear out" after so-many flights and you have to just replace the whole thing? Is that the understanding? I was considering just replacing the fuselage again, but if the foam on the wings compresses and fits too loosely in the new fuselage, I might as well just buy a whole new kit?

What is your experience with replacing parts vs. the whole kit? And where is the cheapest place to get parts/kit?

Thanks!
Bryan
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:32 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassb View Post
I have been flying and crashing my poor Sky Surfer for a couple months now. I replaced the fuselage once, but have crashed it again and broke off the nose.

The wings seem really loose in the slots, so I'm wondering if these foam planes just plain "wear out" after so-many flights and you have to just replace the whole thing? Is that the understanding? I was considering just replacing the fuselage again, but if the foam on the wings compresses and fits too loosely in the new fuselage, I might as well just buy a whole new kit?

What is your experience with replacing parts vs. the whole kit? And where is the cheapest place to get parts/kit?

Thanks!
Bryan
The wings in mine started to slog out too, I wrapped a layer of tape around the inside of fuse where wing locates to tighten it up. That helped to problem for a while.
Otherwise, glue the wings in, it'll be solid then

For the kit, It's only ~$34 at hobbyking when I bought it last (2 months ago), it may come down in price due to the new bixler 2.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:42 AM
Joined Apr 2012
891 Posts
Can anybody verify if the stock bixlermotor shaft is 2.3mm?
timtimtim is offline Find More Posts by timtimtim
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:47 AM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
The wings in mine started to slog out too, I wrapped a layer of tape around the inside of fuse where wing locates to tighten it up. That helped to problem for a while.
Otherwise, glue the wings in, it'll be solid then

For the kit, It's only ~$34 at hobbyking when I bought it last (2 months ago), it may come down in price due to the new bixler 2.
Yes, I saw the $34 price at HK, which is a good price. But shipping is crazy at about $25! I won't pay 73% of the item's price for shipping on an order. It looks like ReadyMadeRC might be the only US retailer who sells the Sky Surfer/Bixler?
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:53 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I saw the $34 price at HK, which is a good price. But shipping is crazy at about $25! I won't pay 73% of the item's price for shipping on an order. It looks like ReadyMadeRC might be the only US retailer who sells the Sky Surfer/Bixler?
Yea the shipping cost sucks, but if you have anything else you wanna order, take advantage of combining shipping.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:07 AM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtim View Post
Can anybody verify if the stock bixlermotor shaft is 2.3mm?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2119
greedyg76 is online now Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:18 AM
Semper Fi
Joined Mar 2009
811 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
Bryan
I think the cheapest way would be to buy the kit from HobbyKing, but then there is the wait time and shipping cost to deal with. You can also get a kit from ReadyMadeRC here in the States: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=507
If you want to get just individual parts, get them from Banana Hobby here in the States. If you only need a wing set or tail pieces and need them in short order, go here: http://www.bananahobby.com/electric-...7---parts.html
They got a bad rap from a while back, but I have ordered several things from them in the last year and never had a problem, ever.
Last edited by greedyg76; Aug 02, 2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:38 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Just got to wait for paint to dry then I can see if it will fly!!!!!
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:53 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
HobbyKing Super Daily - HK Bixler 2 (6 min 35 sec)

HERE IT IS GUYS,the bixler 2
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:58 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Keeping your wings snug

Quote:

Thanks!
Bryan
What i did was simply put three layers of white elecrical tape around the inside wing ends when mine started to get loose,i have not had a problem since
IF you don't like that, the tape won't rip away chunks of foam if you want to remove it. Hope this helps
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Last edited by Limited flyer; Aug 02, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:57 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Just got to wait for paint to dry then I can see if it will fly!!!!!
Simon, I love it! (Your Silver/Orange Bixler1) -BILL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:15 PM
Semper Fi
Joined Mar 2009
811 Posts
Quote:
It looks like ReadyMadeRC might be the only US retailer who sells the Sky Surfer/Bixler?
http://www.bananahobby.com/1937.html