Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:32 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,682 Posts
On all my pusher prop wings, I think I've only broken a prop on landing once or twice. Here's my solution to powering the Xeno. It's a 3000KV 24g "blue wonder" with an 8x4 folder. The ESC is much bigger than it needs to be, but I needed weight ahead of the CG anyway. I use it on 3S, and while the performance isn't rocketship like, it keeps the plane in the air just fine. It's made so the wing still folds too. The black circle on the left wing is a lost model alarm. The wing is notched for prop clearance, and put a plastic plate across the back of the prop yoke to keep the blades from over folding(if a blade goes over center to far, it won't fling out on powerup and will shake the plane to pieces. Not a problem on pullers because the blades fold against the fuse)

Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:15 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff View Post
On all my pusher prop wings, I think I've only broken a prop on landing once or twice. Here's my solution to powering the Xeno. It's a 3000KV 24g "blue wonder" with an 8x4 folder. The ESC is much bigger than it needs to be, but I needed weight ahead of the CG anyway. I use it on 3S, and while the performance isn't rocketship like, it keeps the plane in the air just fine. It's made so the wing still folds too. The black circle on the left wing is a lost model alarm. The wing is notched for prop clearance, and put a plastic plate across the back of the prop yoke to keep the blades from over folding(if a blade goes over center to far, it won't fling out on powerup and will shake the plane to pieces. Not a problem on pullers because the blades fold against the fuse)

Jeff, can you explain how you made it thats it still foldable?

-pete
meanbaby is online now Find More Posts by meanbaby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Polaris #58 control horn
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:01 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,682 Posts
Pretty simple really. The motor mount is only screwed onto the right wing half(you can see the three white nylon screws in that half). There is enough flex in the wires that they don't need to be unplugged although they can be if need be.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:20 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Pretty simple really. The motor mount is only screwed onto the right wing half(you can see the three white nylon screws in that half). There is enough flex in the wires that they don't need to be unplugged although they can be if need be.
ahhh i get it, so you offset the mounting screws to one side so to speek and still able to fold it, sweet idea, ima going steal your idea if you dont mind

-pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:41 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,682 Posts
Feel free, I stole it myself
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:53 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,276 Posts
not the best but cheap!!!
made my mount like Jeff's,and still foldable, need to pick up a few bolt and nut and ready for maiden this weekend

-pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:45 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,682 Posts
Looks nice, cheap is good If I might make a suggestion, trim the top of your motor mount round. It'll be a bit more aerodynamic, and allow more cooling air to get to the motor.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:42 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,276 Posts
good idea!!! thanks for the round top heads up

-pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:45 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,907 Posts
Am I the only one launching this by hand as designed? I haven't had any strikes. What am I doing right (or wrong lol)? Is this a real issue or another internet mythos like lipo fires and bigfoot?
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:06 AM
Reunion
Joined Nov 2010
73 Posts
I also launch it by hand, three fingers in the right holes, no gaz. When it is one meter away, full gaz... It works well, but always go against the wind.
Papangue is offline Find More Posts by Papangue
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:06 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
662 Posts
Quote:
........put a plastic plate across the back of the prop yoke to keep the blades from over folding (if a blade goes over center to far, it won't fling out on powerup and will shake the plane to pieces. ..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papangue View Post
I also launch it by hand, three fingers in the right holes, no gaz. When it is one meter away, full gaz... It works well, but always go against the wind.
I too hand-launch, and apply power when the plane clears my fingers.

I had difficulties launching because the props would sometimes not be able to spin up fast enough to get the plane flying due to the props trying to sort themselves out. Most of the time this resulted in expensive repairs to the Xeno power train.

Thanks to Bugman Jeff for his simple and effective modification to assure a good power launch.

Nick
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ Models T-34 Mentor 61.4"...
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:21 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papangue View Post
No I'm launching it powered up.

I suppose it's possible to hit your fingers, but I'm wondering why I haven't? Just luck?
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:54 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,682 Posts
I give mine a good throw then throttle up. As long as it's into the wind, it seems to work just fine.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:21 AM
Electric only
Graz - Austria
Joined Nov 2002
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
No I'm launching it powered up.

I suppose it's possible to hit your fingers, but I'm wondering why I haven't? Just luck?
Me, too - no wounds, yet.

RK
rkopka is offline Find More Posts by rkopka
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:36 AM
Florence, Italy
Joined Feb 2010
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkopka View Post
Me, too - no wounds, yet.

RK
It is possible...believe me, pay attention!

I learnt on my blood that it is important to withaw down fastly your hand after the launch if you want to launch it powered
francesco67 is offline Find More Posts by francesco67