Old Jul 03, 2014, 10:35 PM
George Jure
Hamilton, Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
273 Posts
Question
Lipo Discharge Protection Device

Hello

I`ve been thinking about using Lipos for my boats and still keep using my Futaba 75mHz FM radios.
My question is that recently I`ve learned with New ESC, they have internal circuitry to shut down or slow down the motors when the Lipo is near it`s low voltage level so as to protect the Lipo and the boat.
Is there a circuit that can be used with an older ESC which controls my brushed motors and still protects the lipo from running down below safe limits?

Please let me know, links appreciated as well.

Thank you.

George
George Jure is offline Find More Posts by George Jure
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2014, 11:25 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined May 2007
1,536 Posts
Hi George,

The answer is YES. Hobby King sells Lipo Alarms that plug onto the LIPO and screams when the voltage gets down to the limit you set on it.

It is a great little tool and I use it on LIPOS that power both my brushed and brushless motors & esc's.

-Rich.
RICH404 is online now Find More Posts by RICH404
Old Jul 03, 2014, 11:59 PM
Professional Lurker
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
944 Posts
Dumb question here, but is that why some (all?) LiPos have two plugs connected to them? To facilitate an alarm/warning light?
Harquebus is online now Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2014, 12:19 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,605 Posts
The second small plug is the balance connection, it has a wire to the most negative terminal and one to each positive terminal, It is used by balance chargers to measure and balance the cells to an equal voltage.

It is also useful as a second source of power for alarms and accessory circuits, any accessory circuit other than an alarm should only use the most positive and negative connections or you will cause an unbalance in the battery
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Jul 04, 2014, 06:25 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2010
13 Posts
Also consider the Novak lipo cutoff for 2 to 4 cell. American company that has been around for 30+ years. Good products that work.
AND available from your Local Hobby Store......
http://teamnovak.com/products/index....roducts_id=410
bob1962 is online now Find More Posts by bob1962