HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:42 AM
United States, NH, Rindge
Joined Jul 2014
5 Posts
Ahhh!!!! I made it! This is a lot of reading, but well worth it. I can't wait to jump in, but need to get a couple things to get started. I will be posting soon. I just want to get subscribed. This thread is a monster. Some awesome builds going on here.
batmedic is offline Find More Posts by batmedic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2014, 07:01 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jun 2014
93 Posts
Hiccup, cool copter. Any chance you can take a close up pic of the motor mounts? I was considering using mounts but not sure which size to get since I haven't determined which motors I'll need.

These http://www.shapeways.com/model/14172...1&materialId=6 look cool but at $45 kind of defeats the purpose of the economy around a pvc build.

Oh and I think many of the builds here don't use a mount, if I remember correctly.
stuartambient is online now Find More Posts by stuartambient
Last edited by stuartambient; Jul 18, 2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 08:12 AM
Joined Jul 2014
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
D is more like a shock damping the P, when you get closer to zero error, then D kicks in and slow P down so it does not overshoot. You want fast response, so you turn P gain up (faster response) until it over shoots a little, then use D to dampen it so it does not over shoot. This allows a higher P gain setting and faster response than a controller with out D parameter (like the KK2 board) and no oscillation (with a higher p gain setting). I have not herd of it being a safety feature before 9not that it cant be used as one.

If the quad hits a branch, the error is huge, and D will not try to slow P down (because there is a large error) until the error is getting closer to zero. Then D starts damping (or slowing) the P rate as it comes to zero error.

This is more like I gain, the longer there is a error, I gain builds up (over time) and adds to the P gain to reduce the error to zero. There is also a I gain limit (or a clamp they call it in the videos, basically limiting the max "I" value (in KK2 it called "I-Limit). It's all in the videos below.

Two good videos (but long):

PID Parameters Explained
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Clfh5eBzg
PID Tuning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SefKQb9y_B4

And these don't apply to multiwii, they are doing some weird stuff compared to standard PID practice (not that MW does not work)

The PID control loop is used in ~90% of the world for control processes.

Good discussion, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterguy View Post
Thanks for correcting me, I think my wording may have been a little off, but you definitely furthered my understanding.
I'm new to this as well. And I know this truly is for another thread, but since it's here...
Could I simplify it to myself more to say this?

P is the boss. It drives the response that tries to keep the MR level?
But as P makes the large corrections to keep balance. I is the backup. It sets the limits of how big those corrections will be?
And D is that last shim if you will, to get that last little mm of the bubble between the lines?

Do P I D have anything directly to do with drift? Or is drift strictly a byproduct of all the outside forces imposed on the FC? ie. wind, operator, design and balance of the craft and even poorly set P I D?
This would make sense then why GPS lock is so important when used.

Thanks for sharing guys. One's head could explode over this stuff!!!!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 08:20 AM
Joined Jul 2014
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartambient View Post
Hiccup, cool copter. Any chance you can take a close up pic of the motor mounts? I was considering using mounts but not sure which size to get since I haven't determined which motors I'll need.

These http://www.shapeways.com/model/14172...1&materialId=6 look cool but at $45 kind of defeats the purpose of the economy around a pvc build.

Oh and I think many of the builds here don't use a mount, if I remember correctly.
That is an interesting idea. Thinking on this. What if you took the appropriate sized coupling and flat sanded one side? You could drill out your mounting holes on the flat side and screw in place on the opposite side. The thickness of the coupling should leave enough room without going through or disrupting the integrity.
Interesting!!!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:19 AM
Joined Jun 2014
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmedic View Post
That is an interesting idea. Thinking on this. What if you took the appropriate sized coupling and flat sanded one side? You could drill out your mounting holes on the flat side and screw in place on the opposite side. The thickness of the coupling should leave enough room without going through or disrupting the integrity.
Interesting!!!
Batmedic -
here is one from this thread that did something like that:

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...OUNT%20006.jpg

and then here is one just using a fitting with the motor inside:

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...QUAD%20003.jpg
Old Jul 18, 2014, 04:39 PM
Joined May 2014
23 Posts
First flight video of my Y6. It flies very stable but seems to want to yaw much more quickly to the right than to the left.
It was pulling about 70 amps total on a full power punch out which is about 12 amps per motor which I didn't think was too bad. Just flying around it draws 32 amps total which is less than six amps per motor. Motors nor ESCs get any more than warm. I did not mention size. This Y6 spans 800mm so it is pretty large. It flies gracefully and feels very solid in the air.

Hiccup.

Y6 first flight (1 min 31 sec)
Hiccup is offline Find More Posts by Hiccup
Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:58 PM
Hubsan X4 Rookie
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2014
106 Posts
I like it too! Lets see it fly!

I'm specifying the same gear, but different firmware and ESCs on my first X-quad.

Edit: NOoooiiiice!!!
WannaBeRC is offline Find More Posts by WannaBeRC
Last edited by WannaBeRC; Jul 19, 2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:47 AM
Joined Mar 2014
38 Posts
Fitting parts on the mini

Testing an idea for fit. The ESC's are inside the elbow fittings, making a super tidy build. Also gives easy access to the back of the KK2.1 to plug in the programmer.
Ill fly a couple test flights like this and see how the ESC's go for heat but I doubt the venting will be enough.

waimser is online now Find More Posts by waimser
Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
645 Posts
I may be spamming, but I hop you all left a comment here at some point (USA Pilots)

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2014-0396-0001
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,239 Posts
I don't think it should only be US pilots, I left a comment as well as signed the petition. If the laws pass in the US it's only a matter of time before it spreads to Canada and then overseas.
boaterguy is offline Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM
Joined Jun 2014
93 Posts
It's the reason behind SETI, make sure the entire universe is regulated.
Old Today, 08:54 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,038 Posts
Other stuff you can make with PVC

Hi guys, it's been a while since I've posted anything so I thought I would show you what I've been doing in the way of PVC building.
These are Turkish and Hungarian horse bows made from 3/4" PVC pipe.
Heated and bent into shape. They actually shoot an arrow very well and have about 25-40# pull. I've made 5 of them so far. Great fun when not flying.
I'm still flying one or two of the 15 quads I've built out of PVC and I'm happy to see this thread and the interest in PVC MRs still going on.
Keep it going guys.
GName: image.jpg
Views: 4
Size: 113.0 KB
Description:
Gordosoar is online now Find More Posts by Gordosoar