Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:46 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
He already answered he was considering for :

Quote: I am looking into a SBach 342 that calls for a .46-.75 for both 3D and sport flying. I am tired of paying $20/gallon and going through 1 1/2 - 2 gallons per season : Unquote

Think that's about detailed enough to know he wants a motor that will PERFORM .. giving him good power to weight and aerobatic capability ... it is an Sbach !!

Personally - I'd still stick a Glow in it - this is in the marginal size and the extra weight of the gasoline job could be the difference of good and bad !! But a bigger model - definitely gasoline.

Nigel
Many apologies Nigel. I missed it. I agree on the marginal size, believe me! As mentioned there's a lot of exploring here as there just isn't a lot of feed back based data yet?

I have a similar sized Yak, and I'm planning on using the Evo 10 I just bought for it. My smallest gasser to date has been a Revolver 70 w/beam mounted 20cc RCG which is very impressive, my current gas "go to" plane, and the reason I'm considering going smaller yet....

55ax weight w/muffler = 18.5 oz (+ or -)
10cc Evo weight w/muffler and ign. module = 22.0 oz (+ or -)

Now figure how much less fuel you'll need to carry with you, the weight of the smaller tank required to carry it, and my point regarding weight should come into focus.... even when using the 55ax as a comparison?

Now look at the prop data coming in from users of each engine. My experience to date says I doubt seriously there will be a performance compromise here between these 2 engines - but who knows? You nearly have to try them both to be sure?

Not for everyone (not yet anyway). I get that. But there's no room for a 15-20cc gasser here. That's my biggest point for the previous note...
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Last edited by ahicks; Aug 20, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:23 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,154 Posts
Living about 200Km from a source of glow fuel makes gassers very practical for me. I'm down to 2 4 stroke glow engines, and .90 (15cc) is the smallest IC class I consider using. Below that size I go electric
The new ignition modules supplied with the EVO 10/15cc gas engines are very compact, add 1/2oz. for a Tech-Aero IBEC and fuggedaboud the need for an ignition battery
I have the EVO 15cc gasser on a 4 Star 60. It has a lot more power than the Saito .91 that was originally on the 4 Star, but certainly a little less than a decent .91 stroke glow.
The 15cc gas engine that will be coming from OS looks reaaaaaalllly nice. Unlike the EVO's it uses a CM-6 spark plug, rather than the expensive and not locally available 1/4" plug.
Once you get used to having the ignition switch on your radio, and not having to muck around with glow drivers, you'll never want to run glow again. Now if you could only use silicone tubing with gas
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Aug 20, 2013, 01:49 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,318 Posts
Pilotpete2 ... I also live 200km from nearest Glow fuel supply ... and they cannot ship to me - I have to collect.
But having tried the gasoline route on a 60 size model and found out the hard way ... I have dropped back to the HIGHER power ... easier installation ... correct weight etc. 60 glow on that model.

I would like though to have a decent size SU aerobatics machine with gasoline ... but so far haven't found suitable for my RCGF 15cc ... so I will likely carry out the installation in the big Cessna I have.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Aug 21, 2013, 09:41 PM
USA, IN, Seymour
Joined Oct 2009
235 Posts
FIRST OF ALL, who but an aeromodeler would think $4 gasonline is CHEAP?
NOW, a 60 size glow engine is 10cc. figure it out for yourself. My 60 size Corsair has a Zenoah 20 CDI. plenty of power, flies well and inexpensive to operate....DUH
corsair167 is offline Find More Posts by corsair167
Old Aug 21, 2013, 09:45 PM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Dec 2008
66 Posts
Gas smells bad inside the car
bob8619 is offline Find More Posts by bob8619
Old Aug 21, 2013, 09:58 PM
i Like RC
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Oct 2010
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob8619 View Post
Better out than in, that's what I always say.
Weekend Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Weekend Flyer
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:31 PM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Jun 2004
160 Posts
If it is the nitro planes sbach then the 10cc is perfect for it the 46-75 is rating from a 2 stroke to a 75 4stroke range
bdboy007 is offline Find More Posts by bdboy007
Old Aug 22, 2013, 03:45 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair167 View Post
FIRST OF ALL, who but an aeromodeler would think $4 gasonline is CHEAP? ......
Go live in Europe .... at over $1.50 a litre for unleaded gasoline.

It's fine this change for gasoline engine and I support that WHEN the model can be balanced and compensated for it.
My Skymaster biplane proved not all models can.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Aug 22, 2013, 06:10 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob8619 View Post
So go bother the guy at the airport for a gallon or 2 of av gas. No odor, and pretty stable when stored.
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Aug 22, 2013, 07:38 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Flyer View Post
At evoutionengine.com they suggest the following:

10cc gas where you use .46 to .60 cubic inch glow
15cc gas where you use .61 to .91 glow
20cc gas where you use .91 to 1.20 glow

The plane you are thinking about buying has a wide range from .46 to .75 which is a very big range. It is like comparing a car with a 4 cylinder engine versus the same car with a 6 cylinder engine. They both do the job but the 6 cylinder has more oomph. The 10 cc gas would be sufficient but if you want some oomph go with the 15cc.

10cc equals .61 cubic inches however a 2 stroke .60 glow is slightly more powerful than a 10cc gas. In my opinion an Evolution 10cc gas would fly your plane more like a.55 cubic inch 2 stroke glow. The 15cc would fly it more like a .75 glow.

If you are only using 2 gallons of glow per season I would stick with glow.
Weekend Flyer

I am considering that the .46 is 2 strokes and the .75 is 4 strokes.
Someone else also think so.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 22, 2013, 05:35 PM
i Like RC
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Oct 2010
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
Weekend Flyer

I am considering that the .46 is 2 strokes and the .75 is 4 strokes.
Someone else also think so.

Zor
Zor, It could be that the .75 is 4 stroke but the original post said "the specs are .46 - .75 (2C)".

WF
Weekend Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Weekend Flyer
Old Aug 22, 2013, 08:35 PM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Jun 2004
160 Posts
75 is 4 stroke I had this plane the cheap Chinese directions list the range of all glow engines from smallest to largest
bdboy007 is offline Find More Posts by bdboy007