HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 02:07 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Question
Plane Identification Assistance

My buddy contacted me yesterday and asked if I had any idea what kind of plane this is. The only identification he can find at all on it is FOX 25 on the engine. I'm thinking it may be an old scratch built control line plane? He said the wingspan is in the 40 - 45 inch range. Anyone have any idea what it may be? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 03:22 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,730 Posts
Old Ringmaster, originally by Sterling; modern kits by Brodak, among others. It originally had a profile balsa canopy about mid chord of the wing. Any modeler over 50 has probably flown one, at least if he did ANY control line at all. Goldberg spinner, at a guessl

hwoell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old May 01, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
325 Posts
I see no leadout wires exiting either wingtip. The lack of leadouts and hook on top suggests it was probably on static display at a hobby shop. It may not be airworthy.
NACA0012 is offline Find More Posts by NACA0012
Old May 01, 2012, 07:33 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I do appreciate it!
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old May 01, 2012, 09:56 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
831 Posts
See also the location of that hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACA0012 View Post
I see no leadout wires exiting either wingtip. The lack of leadouts and hook on top suggests it was probably on static display at a hobby shop. It may not be airworthy.
It is obviously very nose heavy. There may be nothing at all inside of it. No bellcrank, no pushrod, no elevator control horn. Depending on repair skills, a control system could be added after the fact, much as the experienced flyers will do with ARFs, taking out much of what comes in the planes to replace it.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old May 02, 2012, 01:11 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kiwi View Post
It is obviously very nose heavy.

Kiwi
Kiwi,

How did you assess that? I can see no evidence to suggest a balance point in any location.

The fact that there is no tank would tend to lessen the chance of nose heaviness. Don't you think?

REgards

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old May 02, 2012, 03:39 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
831 Posts
There appears to be a single hook on it

That single hook is very close to the LE. So, no wingtip weight, no control system, etc.

K.
Old May 02, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Mar 2012
325 Posts
The only Ringmaster I've ever had that balanced OK without tail weight had a little plain bearing Enya .19 without muffler, and about a 2oz tank.
Old May 02, 2012, 01:21 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
831 Posts
Unusual run of kits for you

The average Sterling kit had the ironwood variety of balsa, and balanced tail-heavy with engines lighter than the McCoy 35 RH (seven ounces).
Old May 02, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
325 Posts
Of the dozens of RM's I've had over the years, not a single one required any nose weight. All but the Enya .19 one required tail weight and significant reductions in control throw.
Old May 03, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Aug 2009
3 Posts
Flash from the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kiwi View Post
The average Sterling kit had the ironwood variety of balsa, and balanced tail-heavy with engines lighter than the McCoy 35 RH (seven ounces).
Is this the same Kiwi that use to post on SSW? If so it has been awhile and glad you are still around.

Rootbeard

PS- I just got lucky and found this site. I spend way too much time on stunthanger dot com.
rootbeard is offline Find More Posts by rootbeard
Old May 03, 2012, 07:29 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
831 Posts
Sparky isn't very welcoming

I was born in New Zealand, so I was already "a Kiwi" before my birth certificate added a more formal name (and it wasn't even my own. They named mr for my wealthier grandfather, who also hated his given name).

I've been Kiwi or The Kiwi on the Internet for 16 years now.

K.
Old May 04, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Apr 2012
10 Posts
I could be wrong, but this airplane looks more like a Super Clown than a Ringmaster. Look at the leading edge of the rudder. It kind of slopes forward at more of an angle. The Ringmaster's rudder was more straight up and down. Either way it looks nice. Is it for sale?? Always looking for more Ucontrol items for my already overloaded hanger!
ControlLiner is offline Find More Posts by ControlLiner
Old May 04, 2012, 11:11 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
831 Posts
That's definitely a Ringmaster vertical fin

The early Sterling kits, as well as the PDQ kits, were all designed by Matt Kania, so they do have resemblances beyond the circus related names. Personally, I liked the Circus King better than the Ringmaster, although they basically had the same wing.

Kiwi
Old May 04, 2012, 02:48 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,730 Posts
I think I see lead out guides on he inboard wing, andthe elevator horn is there. I often ran the pushrod out the bottom of the wing close to the fuse on the OUTBOARD side. Somebody ship it here, I'll fly it.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh