HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:50 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,887 Posts
Hi Tuan,

I have to say, the increase in rudder movement is very apparent on my X2 compared to the originals and carbon lites I have. My normal original runs with 45% mix to the ailerons and the X2 is closer to 60%.

Thanks!
Mike L.
mlee8249 is online now Find More Posts by mlee8249
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:25 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249 View Post
Hi Tuan,

I have to say, the increase in rudder movement is very apparent on my X2 compared to the originals and carbon lites I have. My normal original runs with 45% mix to the ailerons and the X2 is closer to 60%.

Thanks!
Mike L.
Thanks Mike! This will help me get the plane dialed in faster. I'm going to be in a mad rush now to get the plane done before F3J in the desert. Just can't seem to get more than 1 uninterupted hour in the garage until kids start tugging at my shirt.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:37 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,590 Posts
I'm super happy with my 3.5X2 and X2 E. I shifted the CG's back to 123 to match my 3.8 and changed the throws to match the 3.8, slightly less diff, slightly less rudder mix, although it's still a lot. Now I have 3 X2 variants that fly amazing.

I like these models more and more each time I fly them.
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:00 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,187 Posts
Hey, I am sorry to post here, but need to ask a favor. Would Xplorer fellas go here and test out my video feed to give me some feedback?
I am using a camcorder to capture a video I made ( since its the only non copyright video I have in HD) a few days ago to test my live feed for the F3J in the Desert.

Can you try using the chat feature too?
Thanks for any feedback.
Tuan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
Ok, its up and running with streaming music from winamp radio.
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/2...events/1854308
Can anyone go in and test and let me know how it looks and sound?

I'm uploading at a very slow 1mbps and on Jim's network should be able to do it at least 5x faster.
However using my camcorder with firewire out, I need to use an older laptop as none my my current ones have firewire in and the old one can not convert the video fast enough... too much cpu usage so this is not HD quality.

I'll go see if any of the current usb cameras have good enough HD video.

I rigged up a moving object to see if it causes any ghosting.
You will need to register for a livestream account and search for f3j.

Once the video feeds, there is 3 small boxes at the bottom right corner.
Chat view, expanded view and popout view. Play with it and you'll see what it does.

Feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:23 PM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
2,061 Posts
livestream test

Hi Tuan,
I logged -in using Facebook and this is what I see @ 12noon est

Hope this works out as I'm interested in doing something similar down-under.

Chris.
DrFragnasty is online now Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:15 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,187 Posts
Video live again. Please test again.
Chris, AUS would be awesome place for streaming. speed there is like 40mbps, yes?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:13 PM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
2,061 Posts
Tuan Flamenco Riffs ?

Works fine, nice one Tuan.

Chris.
DrFragnasty is online now Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:15 AM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Aug 2008
371 Posts
Hi there,

can anybody tell me what is the typical weight of a RTF 3.8 II, ST unpainted?

Can you also share your thoughts about the unpainted carbon skin?
I have the fortune to fly in New Mexico, a paradise for soaring, but also very sunny and quite hot during the summers and I am worried about possible over-heating of the unpainted black air-frame.

What do you think?

Thanks

Marco
VirTus is offline Find More Posts by VirTus
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:38 AM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,078 Posts
The temperature shouldn't be a problem. I've flown my unpainted 3.5 X2 in 100+ F sunny weather without an issue. If you are talking about flying in 120 F weather, I can't comment. But I know it is good to a bit over 100 F ambient. Actual wing temperature is much higher. I never measured it but I would guess it is around 140 to 150 F. So, the glass transition temperature for the epoxy they use is pretty high.

The issue that I have with the all black wing is visibility. Essentially you are always flying a silhouette. So sometimes orientation can be a problem. Not a good thing when flying at large distances. I don't recommend the all black wing for this reason. The weight penalty is very small and really not worth worrying about. NAN is pretty good about not using excessive paint to begin with.

Not sure what the weight of the current 3.8 ST are, but I know they are pretty light (mid to upper 60 range?). I'm sure someone will chime in.

Tom
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling
Last edited by Kiesling; Feb 08, 2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:58 AM
USA, CA, Visalia
Joined May 2007
49 Posts
I picked up a new 3.8 yesterday, the bottom is natural ST, tops are paint. This one is 22 grams heavier than my first one which finished at 67 oz.
galenreed is offline Find More Posts by galenreed
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:04 PM
New Mexico
Joined Mar 2004
428 Posts
Marco,

My stock 3.8 Mk II is 64.9 oz with Hyperion wing servos with frames and the CG at 120mm.

Bruce T.
Bruce T. is online now Find More Posts by Bruce T.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:13 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,769 Posts
my 3.8 x II's are 62 oz with the standard fuze and tails - my build is lite but not crazy. You should be able to get your 3.8 to 63 without effort.
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:27 PM
USA, TX, Mansfield
Joined Aug 2004
313 Posts
My 3.8 Xplorer2 is painted (orange) and weighs 67 with 761's in fuse and on flaps and 809's for ailerons (no frames anywhere in wing). I used the SUSA harness which added weight. CG is presently set at 120mm. I'm in the DFW area and personally wouldn't want bare carbon. It's a fantastic ship.
onemetre is offline Find More Posts by onemetre
Last edited by onemetre; Feb 08, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:30 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
741 Posts
David, quite a few X2-3.8's are coming in at ~68oz auw including the first one in our club a few days ago. Wondering if there might be a NAN layup difference between yours and the more recent ones?

Chris B.
SoaringDude is offline Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:45 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Aug 2008
371 Posts
Thank you for the info.

Marco
VirTus is offline Find More Posts by VirTus