HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:38 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,447 Posts
Boddo

Two Mills engines made for the late David Boddington by CS. I did obtain the twin some time ago from his son. David was an ex RAF jet fighter pilot. We did meet a few times at the London/Watford swapmeet.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:38 AM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
515 Posts
Twins

CS Oliver Tiger Twin
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:03 PM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
515 Posts
Mvvs 2.5 dfs

Lovely late spec MVVS 2.5 DFS. Still available, but unlikely any more will be made.
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:54 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery View Post
Lovely late spec MVVS 2.5 DFS. Still available, but unlikely any more will be made.
Anyone who is actually looking at the engine needs treatment!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:18 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Anyone who is actually looking at the engine needs treatment!
George,
Before I opened the thread, I was surprised to see your name with the ol' diesels brigade...
As I said before, your tablets are obviously working!
Brian
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the "K" Hawk 0.2cc...
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:39 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,424 Posts
I don't need tablets for THAT Brian, it is just the knees that are not functioning properly
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:35 AM
Recycled Modeller
Dungiven, Northern Ireland
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren B View Post
Hi Olmod, Jack,
There's MkI, II and III versions of the Frog 50.
MkI has a straight needle and no extra band around the crankcase casting (I think to allow for a stronger conrod big end). Mk II got the angled needle and I think the Mk III got revised porting for a bit more power. Not sure when the band appeared, think it was MkII.
Mine is a MkI. Starts easily, runs well, but not as much power as my ED Baby or Allbon Dart which were it's main rivals at the time.
The first engine I ever owned was a Frog 50, probably Mk1 because my father bought it for me as a birthday present about 1956 or so, being not only very young, but a total aeromodelling novice I could never get it to start! I swapped it a while later for an ED 3.46 Hunter, which I could start, but was far too big, heavy and clumsy for a beginner! Wish I had both of them now!
Wilf is offline Find More Posts by Wilf
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:00 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
Frog 50

From my "bin of projects", a family of Baby Frogs....

This is the result of a chain reaction (not entirely unique, I figure...), trigged by the ambition to finish ONE engine......i.e. when looking for parts for your project, you'll also find parts for the next one...an next.....will it ever end..?

These are all MKI's (no "band" on crankcase & straight angled NVA's)

The three examples on top are "virtually finished", i.e. they now need a final cosmetic touch to be raised to "nice" status....
The R/H example raises my first question: Does anyone know whether this radial mount backplate is an original/aftermarket accessory, or is it home made..?

The "heap" in the lower right corner is interesting, raising a few additional questions, as it features the remains of (as far as I understand) an even earlier version of "MkI", featuring a shorter cyl.linder, a likewise shorter cooling jacket, and also a different comp.screw. Note, this comp.screw has a narrower thread, i.e. it doesn't seem to be a bodge....
Lower part of the engine is identical to the other examples.
Apparently there was more than one version of the "MkI"........anyone able to fill in the historical blanks here...??

Finally: It isn't my intention to own 3 or 4 Frog 50's, as the purpose with my hobby is definitely not of an "Uncle Scrooge-ish" character........i.e. when I eventually have a bunch of happy Frogs, at least a couple of them will be traded away somehow.......it's a slow process though, but interesting along the road....

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,462 Posts
Never had a Frog engine. But I can't recall the radial mount as shown. Maybe a copy of the Dart, or Cox Tee Dee?

Interesting collection though. As long as you end up with one or two that run well and are useable.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:06 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,474 Posts
I don't claim to be an expert on Frog engines, but I've possessed one of each of the Frog 50s for the last 30 or 40 years and my opinion is that:
1. Your "early Mk I", is a Mk I with a wrong compression screw.
2. Your "late Mk I" is a Mk II.

The Mk I compression screw mod. is easy to understand. The original tommy bar was tiny, and not always easy to adjust.
However, the radial mount is a "personal" mod. that's more difficult to understand, as the Frog 50 could be radially mounted without any accessory... unless the person who made it wanted to radially mount the engine while also keeping the integral tank (is there a hole in the disc for the original fuel tank?).
Brian
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the "K" Hawk 0.2cc...
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:31 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
Quote:
1. Your "early Mk I", is a Mk I with a wrong compression screw.
Yes, that makes sense...though someone must have been lucky to find a replacement with the correct thread. Maybe homemade, but if so, it's fairly well made....

Quote:
2. Your "late Mk I" is a Mk II.
Trying to be humble here......but if so, isn't it strange that all 3 engines (collected from far different places) all have the MkI crankcase (no band, right angled NVA), AND the taller cyl.unit...? Did they all get their upper parts replaced......I admit though, that this MAY be the case, as the units are replaceable....
Or, simply....was the "tall" cyl.unit introduced before the "new" crankcase, i.e. during the MkI era....?

Quote:
However, the radial mount is a "personal" mod. that's more difficult to understand, as the Frog 50 could be radially mounted without any accessory... unless the person who made it wanted to radially mount the engine while also keeping the integral tank (is there a hole in the disc for the original fuel tank?)
There is no hole for a tank bolt....someone may have made this backplate after damaging the original one. It's well made though....

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Feb 25, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Here's a FROG that ran all day, then croaked......
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:12 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
My FROG 50D Mk. II...
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Where can you buy diesel engines now. I am pretty new and an old fella here said he'd be willing to teach me the ins and outs of them. I want to put one in a phoenix classic (if that's possible). If I can't buy them now is it possible to convert a glow? What size diesel would you put in the classic any way?
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:56 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
My favourite is PAW. Engines from the lovely little 50, right up to the 60, powerful enough to remove an arm if mishandled. Good, solid, reliable engines, parts readily available (though I have never had to replace anything on my dozen or so PAWs). Pick one, you will like it.

Here's 3 PAW 80s in a 6'+ r/c Stinson. Fun airplane...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle