HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2002, 07:36 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,956 Posts
Mounting the Hacker B20-12L in Warbirds

The title says it all. The Hacker B20-12L is a neat little motor, with lots of promise for powering small models like my little warbirds. But unlike the Astro brushless motors, it's not a drop-in replacement for the stock Speed 400. The front plate of the gearbox is much smaller, the mounting screws are closer together, and it's too long and skinny for a simple cantilever mount anyway.

When I first installed the Hacker in the Corsair I was flying at NEAT, I designed a mount that would support the rear of the motor so that the motor/gearbox assembly (with controller attached) could be slid into place and then secured with a couple of screws through the front plate of the gearbox.

This worked quite well, but the only problem was that I could not easily change back to a stock speed 400 motor (or an Astro BL motor). This meant that any given model was dedicated to one motor or the other, unless the motor mount was literally broken loose and replaced.

This time around, I decided to be a little more flexible. I modified the design that I used on the Corsair so that the motor/gearbox and mount can be moved from plane to plane as a single unit, fitting the standard Speed 400/BL 020 mount that's stock for all my airplanes.

The first photo shows the back of the mount. You can see how the motor slides into place against the square front plate. The 1/8" balsa braces are dadoed to hold the ply rear motor support. This makes it very strong yet light.

The second photo is a front view of the mount. Note that the front plate has screw holes on standard S400 spacing (circa 5/8") so that it can be screwed to the stock motor mount. It has a larger face area than a Speed 400, so it won't be prone to wobbling. Note the the center is cut to clear the heads of the screws that hold the motor/gearbox in place. There's no particular reason for the front plate to be round, other than I wanted to make it that way.

The last photo shows the motor/gearbox assembly secured in the mount and ready for installation in any of my warbirds. The entire mount weighs about 4 grams. Hope some of you guys find this helpful.

Jim
http://home.fuse.net/ryan
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Last edited by Jim Ryan; Jan 16, 2002 at 07:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2002, 07:37 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,956 Posts
Here's photo #2:
Old Jan 16, 2002, 07:37 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,956 Posts
Here's photo #3 showing the completed assembly:
Old Jan 16, 2002, 10:08 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,929 Posts
Hacker mount

What I did for my plane was use a flat piece of
1/8 plywood. Centered the motor on it. Attached 1/4" triangle stock to each side of the motor.Glued tri stock to the plywood only. I then drilled two holes on each side of the motor. Next I took a piece of the yellow center of the Sullivan "Gold-N-Rod" bent it around the motor and used 4 servo screws going thru the plywood and into the yellow rod. This will pull down and lock the motor inplace. It is working great on my Wattage Extra 330.
Bob Ruff
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jan 17, 2002, 10:32 AM
Virtual Cockpits
www.wrightrc.com
Joined Dec 2001
73 Posts
Excellent!

Jim, Thank you for taking the time to make this detailed post for the Hacker installation. It will be most helpfull in the final construction of my P-47.

Interchangable Power Sytem!

I was expecting a more permanent installation..... Now I will just have to build a few more of you great warbirds. It would be a bit steep if we had to spend $210 for the power train (Hacker & Jeti) of each little bird.
Kregg is offline Find More Posts by Kregg
Old Jan 17, 2002, 10:04 PM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
Speaking of Hacker B20 mounts....

Hi Jim,
It was great to see your planes flying at NEAT fair this year. Very nicely detailed models.
Here are a few other B20 mounts we have been working on at Aero-Model. A couple could be used in the warbirds and there are also designs for bulkhead mounts and tube mounts. They should be released soon.

Dave Wenzlick
Mesa AZ

Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
Old Jan 20, 2002, 02:24 AM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,956 Posts
Hi Dave,

Ain't laser cutting wonderful?

Jim
Old Sep 11, 2002, 09:38 PM
www.electricsquadron.com
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Aug 2002
155 Posts
Hey Dave Wenzlick (Speaking of Hacker B20 mounts....)

Any of the Hacker motor mounts available yet? I need a good one for my mini laser3d.
msikes is offline Find More Posts by msikes
Old Sep 12, 2002, 04:05 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Gret job Jim (you too Dave). The ability to drop on eof the B20's into the place of a 400 is sorely needed.

For the clamshell mounts, I use a piece of PVC pipe which is cut to the length of the motor and split about 3/4 of the way down on opposite sides with a hacksaw. This allows the clamshell mount to compress the PVC around the motor and hold it securely. Works great so far in a model with gobs of thrust (and abuse too). Only problem is on the higher power stuff (160+ watts) things get rather warm. I think it tends to insulate the motor. Working on a finned aluminum heatsink/mount at the moment for clamshell mount.

Keep up the great work!

Steve McBride
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride