HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2004, 11:35 AM
Foam Flyer
Stockbridge, Georgia, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
Rant
AMA Gripes

O.k. its Saturday and there is no one in the office on weekends, so it will be Monday before I can call. I fired off an email to them with some of the same questions and it will be during the week before I get an answer.

So right now I am trying to vent and get rid of this ripped off feeling. I joined the AMA on May 15 this year (via their web site) I get my card in the mail today and it states that my membership ends on December 31 of this year. What gives. I paid for a year, not 7 months. Everyone that has been bugging me to join had said that the $58.00 was for a year and that you get a year magazine subscription to boot.

Now $58.00 may not seem like much to a lot of you, but for me its a good bit of money (took me 5 mths to scrape the darn bit together). I dont want to get into a whole long history of what problems I am having to deal with, but suffice to say we (my family, me, wife and two kids) are a one income family and I started a small foam parkflyer airplane site to try and bring some income in (so far I am close to break even, so at least its not a loss, it has been kinda fun). So bottom line, I feel like I have been ripped off. I could find nothing in the membership application that says your membership ends Dec of the same year.

Does the magazine at least go for a year? If this is true, I may cancel my membership and get a refund (if possible) and then try again in January. Seems kinda hoaky that they dont mention this on their web site, or in the "membership benefits" section.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Glenn
Depdog is offline Find More Posts by Depdog
Last edited by Depdog; May 22, 2004 at 04:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2004, 12:13 PM
Zen Flying Master
Sweetwater, TN
Joined Sep 2002
829 Posts
Seems like when I joined they prorated based on when you joined...since I joined halfway through....
AUBrian is offline Find More Posts by AUBrian
Old May 22, 2004, 01:34 PM
J_R
Corona, CA
Joined Sep 2003
755 Posts
All memberships end on 12/31 for the ease of club's necessaity to verify AMA membership. If they expired during the year, it would be a major pain for club officers to determine whose membership was current and whose was not.... all year long.

The following is from .pdf document 912 on the AMA site:

WHAT: Dues policy for new, first time, OPEN full category members.
WHY: To clarify the length of time your membership is valid, according to the
date of your dues payment. This is necessary since AMA membership
works on a calendar year basis starting January 1st, rather than the date of
your dues payment.
HOW: FIRST QUARTER: If you join AMA as a first time, new member from
January 1st through March 31st, you will do so at the full, open rate.
SECOND QUARTER: If you join AMA as a first time, new member from
April 1st through June 30th, you will pay the full, open rate. The
Following year, your renewal notice will reflect a 25% reduction in dues.
THIRD QUARTER: If you join AMA from July 1st through September
30th, you will pay the full, open rate. The Following year, your
renewal notice will reflect a 50% reduction in dues.
FOURTH QUARTER: If you join AMA from October 1st through
December 31st, you will pay the full open rate. You will receive
membership for the remainder of that year, plus membership for the
following year.
J_R is offline Find More Posts by J_R
Old May 22, 2004, 01:43 PM
J_R
Corona, CA
Joined Sep 2003
755 Posts
You probably used the online renewal section, which does not have the following as part of the process. If you downloaded the actual application, it contains the statement below.

Neither of my posts are going to make you happy, and maybe rightfully so, but they are the answer.

from the application:

"Insurance coverage is effective on the date of receipt at AMA Headquarters of a properly completed application and correct dues payment. Membership ends each year on December 31, regardless of the
date a membership application is received. Applications received after October 1 will be valid for the remainder of that year and all of the following year. If a magazine is included with the membership, it
begins with the first issue available for the year after a correct current application and payment are received; it expires with the issue printed in December (which is dated February of the following year).
Membership rates and insurance limits are those in effect at the time of printing. Actual cost of dues and amount of insurance coverage is subject to change. Any such changes will be noted at the time of
membership processing so they may be accepted or not."
J_R is offline Find More Posts by J_R
Old May 22, 2004, 02:08 PM
Foam Flyer
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
Yes I did it online, but it was not a renewal. It did not see any of what you just posted. I did not download and print the membership stuff.

Thanks
Glenn
Old May 22, 2004, 04:19 PM
Foam Flyer
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
I edited the first the first post, I had put March 15th for the original date. I should have said May 15th. I have changed it now.

Thanks
Glenn
Old May 24, 2004, 08:08 PM
Really Ugly Stick!!
Raleigh/Durham Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Jun 2003
220 Posts
your renewal application will reflect a 25% discount for next year.
Really Ugly Sti is offline Find More Posts by Really Ugly Sti