Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 23, 2013, 09:55 AM
Joined Jul 2013
7 Posts
Help!
What do I need to build my own blimp

Okay.. I am currently working on a project that requires me to build a surveillance blimp. Basically something like eblimps.com, airship solutions, etc. I understand the concepts behind what I need and everything like that, but I'm also not looking to spend a fortune. I get it's going to take money, but not some crazy amount of 4k just for a project.

First question would be what is a great website or store (Orlando, FL) that I can pretty much get everything I need from. For example: propellers, prop motors, micro controller, wiring, batteries, etc.

With that question being answered I'm not exactly sure which products I need. So, my second question is just that; what items do I need to complete this project? The blimp is going to about 8-10 feet long by 2-3.5 feet wide. A camera system is going to be implemented onto it (just to clarify the added weight). The design my project is following is pretty much that of eblimp.com which is have two main props connected on an axis controlled by a servo motor for elevation changes and then a rotor prop in the back so it can turn better.

I have been doing research beyond research and I think I'm just having a problem searching for the right products. Here is pretty much a list of what I know we, my project group, will be using:

-avr atmega32 or 128 (probably 128 so we have plenty of I/O)
-8-10 feet long by 2-3.5 feet wide blimp (Urethane material most likely)
-two main props and rear prop driven by electric motors
-rear prop will be in bottom wing (the basic design of having 4 stabilizing wings)
-gondola
-camera system
-GPS system
-remote control
-battery powered

IF ANYONE can please help out with my questions and help steer me in the right direction that would be awesome. I'm really excited about this project, but I'm more of a "build first, ask questions later" kind of learner and I don't want to buy the wrong parts (or parts that can't be used). I get how it's supposed to work I just don't think I'm getting 100% of the parts concepts. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
pinkblob66 is offline Find More Posts by pinkblob66
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2013, 01:11 PM
Germany, RP, Weißenthurm
Joined Jun 2013
222 Posts
Hi pink,
I have mixed link list for FireFox which consists of airplanes and blimps that could perhaps help you. Do you wnat this list ?
Stereodreieck is offline Find More Posts by Stereodreieck
Old Jul 23, 2013, 03:59 PM
Joined Jul 2013
7 Posts
yeah.. anything will help
Old Jul 24, 2013, 03:53 AM
Germany, RP, Weißenthurm
Joined Jun 2013
222 Posts
Ok. please send me an PM with your E-Mail Address.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:21 AM
Joined Jul 2013
7 Posts
If anyone has any other additional information that would still be awesome!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:38 AM
Germany, RP, Weißenthurm
Joined Jun 2013
222 Posts
In some cases you have to use the Translator German>English
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:53 AM
Joined Jul 2013
7 Posts
haha yeah. I figured that out. Thanks, again!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:12 PM
Joined Feb 2009
360 Posts
I don't think you'll need an AVR unless you are doing some very custom stuff. There's so much off-the-shelf RC technology out there I doubt you would need to roll your own code for this.
pyronaught is online now Find More Posts by pyronaught
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:48 PM
Joined Jul 2013
7 Posts
well the project is going to implement video recognition.. like a tracking system. Also collusion sensors.. I'm not the dood that's going to be coding, so I'm not too sure.. like i said I'm very new to the whole RC scene in general.. much less microcontrollers.. I'm a car guy lol