HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:25 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
This is my first balsa plane and it has taken me about 6 hours to put it together and I'm not completely done yet

I'm only using a 210watt 1000kv motor with a 9x6 prop because I had those lying around.
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:47 PM
Down is up and up is expensive
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koo29 View Post
This is my first balsa plane and it has taken me about 6 hours to put it together and I'm not completely done yet

I'm only using a 210watt 1000kv motor with a 9x6 prop because I had those lying around.

Koo, It took me a while also. I spent most of my time fussing with that crazy pushrod setup till I finally got tired of messing with it and I finally just used my own wires and EZ connectors. Much, much easier and better. I bet I turned the clevis on the wings probably 25 times and then broke the little nylon post off trying to adjust it. You're motor will probably be alright. You will just have to try it and see how it does. The motor that's recommended for this plane is way overkill but I would rather have too much power than not enough.
oneagleswings is offline Find More Posts by oneagleswings
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:04 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Yes I too used my own wires for the plane. All of them were too large for this size ship and I am not fond of the wheel collar type connection - although it works fine.

EZ connectors are just so much easier. I used Dubro Micro horns too. They look better as they don't have backs.

Flew it 8 times today - it is a keeper for sure. Very nice performance too. I increased all the low rate throws as mine was a bit lethargic at those settings.

Still moving the CG back it is getting quite lively now.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:09 PM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Downers Grove
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koo29 View Post

Koo,

Better to take it slow and build the plane correctly then to rush and end up with an inflight emergency!

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:21 PM
Joined Jul 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Yes I too used my own wires for the plane. All of them were too large for this size ship and I am not fond of the wheel collar type connection - although it works fine.

EZ connectors are just so much easier. I used Dubro Micro horns too. They look better as they don't have backs.

Flew it 8 times today - it is a keeper for sure. Very nice performance too. I increased all the low rate throws as mine was a bit lethargic at those settings.

Still moving the CG back it is getting quite lively now.

It's definitely a keeper, even if it does have a few wrinkles.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:49 PM
Joined Mar 2012
0 Posts
WOW...I just ordered one two...I always wanted to build the 60 size kit but I will just have to settle with the mini...LOL!!!
rcflyerBob is offline Find More Posts by rcflyerBob
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:50 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyerBob View Post
WOW...I just ordered one two...I always wanted to build the 60 size kit but I will just have to settle with the mini...LOL!!!
I took a bunch of stuff to the swap meet today and their was a guy with a 60 sized one all framed up. That was very tempting. I am going to build one of these some day...
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:52 PM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badpilotto View Post
Koo,

Better to take it slow and build the plane correctly then to rush and end up with an inflight emergency!

John
But I show my love to my planes by repairing them!
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
0 Posts
You will not be disappointed, one of the guys at the field let me fly his Contender and I let him fly my Goldberg tiger 2...
rcflyerBob is offline Find More Posts by rcflyerBob
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:00 PM
Joined Jul 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyerBob View Post
You will not be disappointed, one of the guys at the field let me fly his Contender and I let him fly my Goldberg tiger 2...
The Tiger 2 is an awesome plane also!
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:29 PM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
I'm so close to being done with my build. Everything but the cowl is finished. Hopefully going to maiden her tomorrow. I put larger wheels so I can take of and land on grass, don't know how it will work on snow that we currently have
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:34 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,462 Posts
This plane just hasn't spoken to me. It's a great deal and I'm sure it flies beautifully and I've always been really bad about going impulse buy on great deals (hence 2 hurricanes and a p40 in the last week, plus 3 planes from a swap, micro to giant scale).

But this plane to look at just leaves me cold. I fly off grass and just recently got access to occasional indoor.

Someone explain to me what the magic is on this? I'm largely into warbirds and biplanes, but I have micros and 3d planes and epp planes too. What am I not seeing?
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:42 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,681 Posts
It's not the seeing. It's the flying. There is a reason this plane has been around in it's original 60 sized form for more than 40 years. One of the elders at the field I fly at told be he won several touch and go contests with his back in the day.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:00 PM
Joined Jul 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
This plane just hasn't spoken to me. It's a great deal and I'm sure it flies beautifully and I've always been really bad about going impulse buy on great deals (hence 2 hurricanes and a p40 in the last week, plus 3 planes from a swap, micro to giant scale).

But this plane to look at just leaves me cold. I fly off grass and just recently got access to occasional indoor.

Someone explain to me what the magic is on this? I'm largely into warbirds and biplanes, but I have micros and 3d planes and epp planes too. What am I not seeing?
You can touch and go all day with this plane and when you want to get crazy with it, well, you can do that too! With a 3530 motor it will flat out scream if thats what you like to do or you can slow it down to a crawl. I have a Mini Ultra Stick also and this plane is just as fun, if not more because it's predictable on what it will do. Sometimes the pretty planes aren't what they seem! Just my opinion though.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:57 AM
USA, KY, Letcher
Joined Feb 2005
29 Posts
price back to $99
redrob is offline Find More Posts by redrob