HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2014, 04:25 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,675 Posts
I think I am giving up on the tail-less Sea Vixen. I have too many others to play with that actually fly. I will probably get another "proper" Sea Vixen though. -----Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2014, 05:23 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,069 Posts
It was an admirable pursuit. Maybe you'll return to it someday, or not. Either way, ours is for the trying...
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Jul 20, 2014, 05:54 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
I think I am giving up on the tail-less Sea Vixen. I have too many others to play with that actually fly. I will probably get another "proper" Sea Vixen though. -----Metalguy

At least we had some good "tales" to tell. It is always a blast to try new stuff - ALWAYS!

The good news is that I still have two Sea Vixens to enjoy that do what they are told in the sky :-) -- AND -- My Vampaire has a super 10 bladed fan upgrade thanks to the demise of the wing-project!

Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:31 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Aug 2013
2 Posts
Took mine out for the first time today. 3rd flight and I was flying inverted too low, pulled full up elevator and thought I had plenty of room to clear the ground but I hit nose first. The plane is toast. Retracts, servos, and EDF are all fine. Contemplating ordering an ARF and using the electronics from the PNP I had. My LiPo is heavily damaged too so no using it again.

Anybody have a buddy code or ARF they want to sell? I really liked how it flew and loved how unique it was.

I started with somebodies recommended 10mm elevator throw and that wasn't nearly enough, before this flight I cranked it up but it still wasn't enough. I'll know better next time. I like for my planes to have a lot of throw and I've learned to be easy on the sticks unless I need it.
sdcranford80 is offline Find More Posts by sdcranford80
Last edited by sdcranford80; Jul 20, 2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 06:52 PM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
799 Posts
They do fly nicely, but a hard surface runways seems a must. Our field is only grass so mine has only flown twice in two years! Sorry for your loss!
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps
Old Jul 27, 2014, 07:17 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,069 Posts
That's a shame. We all make misjudgements. I forgot to throw the TV switch on one of my jets and what should have been a small loop became a very big, and very abbreviated loop, right through a tree at about 100mph. But you've got the right idea...move on.

Check the classifieds here on RCGroups. I think I saw one advertised not long ago. There may another one available.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:31 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
724 Posts
Found the cause of my nosewheel falling out - On disassembling the retract mechanism, there should be a circlip holding it in, inside the retract, which was missing assumed broken. Replaced this and all good for the next flight.

I also upgraded the wheels to these, a perfect fit and almost a drop in replacement.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Strut_Set.html
They are very well built and the movement is smooth and solid. The light springs seem to be fine for the Vixen. I fly from a grass field, although it is very well kept and smooth. So these should make landing even more pretty, and they certainly look the part.
The existing struts were cut off at the correct length and fit straight in to the new oleos.
All that was needed was to dremel a flat spot on each pin, dremel out the rear wheel bays in a few spots to accommodate the different geometry, and as the nose wheel was now 6mm longer I had to move the steering servo back 1cm. A few hours work and well worth it I think. I'll add more photos soon.

SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Last edited by SleepySean; Jul 28, 2014 at 06:38 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,436 Posts
On those oleos the 'bracket' at the bottom of the oleo leg (where the piston comes out) is just a press fit. Over time it will pop off.
As soon as you see them beginning to 'move', pull it off and use RED loctite to bond it on. (Or just do it before then anyway)
Hopefully before it ever does pop off on a landing (or take-off).

For the 'top circlip' type systems.....
Get rid of the circlip.
Grind a 'ring' into the upper leg so that you can use the side grub screws to hold it in - just use Blue Loctite on the grub screws and you don't do them up tight against the leg - just into the groove.
The circlip system means you have to pull a retract apart to get to things - like to remove and straighten a leg.
The grub screw 'clamp/lock' method means you can get a leg out without retract disassembly.

PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Yesterday at 09:24 PM.