Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:39 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
972 Posts
Discussion
Starmax A-10 BananaHobby (BlitzRCworks)

Rather than continuing to leech off the Dynam thread i figured i would start this since i can't seem to find one. I scoured the web to find very few details on this plane so i thought i would do the courtesy to someone else and make it easier on them.

Here is the plane (more pictures below)

Initial thoughts, i thought this thing was SWEET!!! I love the A-10 and the looks, this thing is spot on. I love it!

Upon further work throughout the build i have found some flaws that i would change but these are not things that can not be fixed. Lucky for me i had some replacement parts sitting around.

Almost all of my concerns/issues were with the retracts. After initial installment they worked but i was trying to get all of the slop out of them so they would stay up/down and not fail mid flight. The mechanical retracts are a very flimsy plastic and i would not guess much less that 90% plastic with one small piece of metal "reinforcement" (i even broke one while fiddling with it to take the pics). I put a pair of HobbyPartz electric retracts in to replace the main gear. Still have the stock mechanical retract up front, looking for a steerable electric gear currently.

I also found i needed to trim some of the foam between the aileron and the wing. They were so close it did not allow for optimal movement.

One spot of the fuse seems kind of scary how thin it is. At the back end of the main wing and front of the motor mount, its maybe a half inch thick. Seems sturdy when the plane is all together but if you have your wing out for transportation you may want to handle with some extra care.

Been taking my time to put this plane together to make sure i don't miss anything. I have read that the recommended CG should be between 65-75mm rather than the suggested 80. When i get to that i will update and let you know what i find. I have not taken this thing for its maiden flight yet, when i do i will try to have more pics and more info about how she does in the air.

Thanks for reading, hope i could help someone.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Last edited by xfatdannx; Apr 27, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:21 AM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Apr 2008
295 Posts
I am glad someone started a thread dedicated to a build and support of the BlitzRCWorks A10. I have the v1 version and will be following this thread for tips and tricks.

So a few things....

For the v1, I have found that the CG is somewhere between 60 and 80mm. I fly mine at 70mm, but I had to add some nose weight. to balance her out. She floats pretty well at 70mm. Definately make her nose heavy at first otherwise you will suffer the same fate as my first flight. A broken plane in many pieces.

Speaking of which I have attached some pictures of the break points. The v1 uses the EPS foam which is not as forgiving as the EPO foam in your v2 so maybe yours will hold up much better. In the pictures you can also see where I have installed carbon strips in the center of the hatch and there is a series of rods to help support the break in the weak spot where you mentioned is a thin area of foam. I have a friend who has the larger 7 channel A10 from Banana Hobby and he glassed his whole fuse. I am thinking of doing the same.

Lastly. I am in the process of adding electronic retract too from HobbyPartz. Thanks for posting the pictures of your setup. I may ask some additional questions later of how your setup is working.

Best of luck on your Maiden!
cutty01 is offline Find More Posts by cutty01
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:25 AM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Apr 2008
295 Posts
PS - you may get a better audience if this thread was moved to the Electric Jets - Foamy EDFs. Maybe you can ask a moderator to move it for you?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:38 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
972 Posts
Let me know what you do for a nose gear. I have been thinking of getting a eflite e;ec retract. It 50 bucks for the one though! I was thinking of gettting a tric set for 120 and use the main geard from it on my mustang.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Apr 2008
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
Let me know what you do for a nose gear.
I used THIS from HobbyCity.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:48 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutty01 View Post
I used THIS from HobbyCity.
Thats WAY cheaper than the eflite! I was gonna put my mcx2 heli up for trade for nose retract only haha. Might have to think that over. If you can grab some pics of that installed if/when you have it done, thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:10 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
972 Posts
Flight update!!

Stock retracts are garbage for sure!!!

I took the plane out for its maiden flight today. First attempt was the worst. The nose retract was really bouncy. It seems, with the cheap plastic they are made of, the servo can't pull far enough to lock it in both up and down positions, just one or the other. I will NOT be using landing gear on this plane until i have a new electric retract nose gear. The plane was bouncing all over, tipped on the pavement broke the gun off, scrapped a wing up, and now it sounds like there is a weight in the nose that is moving around in a hollow cavity that i have no access to! (Plan to drill tiny hole and fill with expandable foam then shave what drips out.)

2nd attempt.

My dad was at the field with me bc he was flying he glider before i flew. He helped me with a hand launch. He threw it and it started to slowly head toward the ground, i saw it hit and as it hit my dad was now in my line of sight. i started to kill the throttle but i did a quick side step, saw it was still gliding and punched it! off she went, as i saw a piece rolling away from where it bounced. yikes! hope that wasn't important! Flying around the field it was doing good. As the other reviews i was able to find said, the elevator is REAL touchy. The air is passing over the control surface from those EDFs so expect that. flew for about 4 to 5 minutes, brought it in for a belly land in the soccer field...Landing was SMOOTH! i was really surprised how well it went. I was really intimidated before flying this plane. my parkzone mustang with the power 10 upgrade seems to be just a little faster actually so i got comfortable with it REAL quick.

(the piece that popped off was just the nose weight i added in the wheel well)

I may also replace the aileron servos. My dad said it was interference but have not had this problem with any other planes of mine on my same Dx5. I noticed the aileron servos kind of twitching even here at home when i first hooked up the electronics. This makes for a very...whats the word i am looking for...basically you really have to keep an eye on it cuz those servos will start to twitch while you are flying and you can be off the stick and it will start trying to turn one way or the other!!! scary! but if you pay attention you shouldn't have an issue. It ONLY seems to happen when you are not on the stick, if you are sending it a signal it does not happen.

3rd try

Hand launch was a success this time, it started to come down again this time but it never hit the ground. Definitely need someone who has hand launched before to do this for you if you are not using gear (fixed gear is an option, but not for me )

Everything else was the same as the 2nd EXCEPT!!!

The fan sounded a little different on one pass and as i was going to turn around i could tell i was losing power, so i made my turn, got lined up and brought it in for a landing. Smooth landing just like the last time, no issue there. Went to cut power....puffed my lipo! it was HOT...I think i need to add a scoop for airflow to help cool it down. I saw a mod that another guy did to an a-10 with a plastic spoon. Not sure which way i will go yet. I am going to do some more reading later to find out if overheating the battery was the culprit though.

By the way! i forgot to mention. Yes i added weight to the nose. The book says 80mm back is the CG...NO! You will look like a G.D. dolphin if you go off that. I added about 1.5 oz weight to the nose. (on the 3rd attempt...it fell of in take off on the 2nd) And my CG is near 70-75mm I do not have an exact measurement for this seeing as how i just use my fingers...A CG machine may be in my future.
Last edited by xfatdannx; Apr 28, 2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: left out info!!!
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:29 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,892 Posts
Fun plane but I found it to be small and fast. Retracts need attention constantly and would be better off replaced with small servoless type. The wing center section also needs an additional spar. I used 2 3s 2200mah batteries and still needed nose weight. The best part is the fans produce plenty of thrust!
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...t=starmax+a-10
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:08 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Fun plane but I found it to be small and fast. Retracts need attention constantly and would be better off replaced with small servoless type. The wing center section also needs an additional spar. I used 2 3s 2200mah batteries and still needed nose weight. The best part is the fans produce plenty of thrust!
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...t=starmax+a-10

i noticed you said that you use a 30c battery, i was using a 25c 2200mah battery and it puffed on me. I actually had two good flights both with the exact same type of battery one was fine one was not. DO you think i should move up to a 30c or do you think the airflow for the battery would be better?

also, where did you get your pilot? i e-mailed banana hobby about the one the offer on the page for this plane and its a full body pilot!?
Last edited by xfatdannx; Apr 29, 2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:23 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,892 Posts
25c battery is OK but perhaps you have ran it down too far. 30c will give you more punch.
I believe the pilot was from PW-RC.
Cheers Eric
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:21 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
972 Posts
I read from a guy that said he has been making lipos for 9 years that running them too low is not an issure, the two biggest issues are heat and over amping (which in turn leads to heat). I really don't know, just letting you know what i read. (I have also seen the 80% rule too which he pretty much said is an overkill of safety) Thoughts or concerns on these findings?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:43 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,892 Posts
Perhaps your "25C" lipos may be actually a lower C rating ... I always fly with a lipos battery monitor attached to the balance leads to warn me when the voltage drops below 3.3 in any cell. It will beep loud enough to hear so then I land to prevent overdischargeing the battery.
Pulling the voltage down too far will puff the battery and it will also lose its punch.
Cheers Eric
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
CallsignAllstate
Joined Apr 2012
29 Posts
how fast does it go?
CallsignAllstate is offline Find More Posts by CallsignAllstate
Old May 07, 2012, 07:46 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
972 Posts
I don't have a speed gun so i can not give you an accurate reading on that. Although i did just start the process of a dynamic balance to the edfs which should in turn creat more thrust
Old May 08, 2012, 04:21 PM
CallsignAllstate
Joined Apr 2012
29 Posts
Thanks Could you compare it to the park zone p51 or Trojan?
CallsignAllstate is offline Find More Posts by CallsignAllstate