Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:25 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
769 Posts
Link
another SAM 35 RC day at Middle Wallop

I missed this one as the weather where I was suggested rain and wind at Middle wallop - wrong
anyway - here is the link to Mike's video of the day - enjoy

Vintage model flying 2 (9 min 1 sec)

why does the link system put it in twice ??

John
John38 is offline Find More Posts by John38
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:09 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,807 Posts
Some great looking model there.....thank-you!

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:17 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2008
273 Posts
John thanks for sharing.

Henk.
Henk Goosen is offline Find More Posts by Henk Goosen
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:26 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
Nice airplanes. .but electric motors just don't look right in the nose of some !
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:48 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney View Post
Nice airplanes. .but electric motors just don't look right in the nose of some !
Agree.

I would have liked to see the John French Ramrod do it's thing.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:34 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,791 Posts
Great video. Perfect music score.

Thanks, Dave-
foamdave is online now Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:51 AM
*jj
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2008
315 Posts
I was there! Only on the SAM 1066 free flight side. The Monday was washed out - howling winds and rain. I spent the morning in the museum and then left
*jj is offline Find More Posts by *jj
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:45 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,427 Posts
Quote:
Ah yes Jim, I agree that if you just stick the electric motor in where the I.C. one went and leave it at that it can look a bit odd, but give it a bit of thought and it is SO nice to be able to make proper cowlings without having to cut holes in them for bits of motor to stick out of and subsequently spray gunk over everything! I know that as a contest FF man such niceties don't apply, but I think that there are an awful lot of vintage models that look better for a bit of a nose redesign, and when it comes to scale models it does make it possible to completely hide the working bits inside a cowling or dummy full size engine in smaller scales where it would be impossible to completely hide even the smallest I.C. motor. For instance;
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:07 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2003
542 Posts
Applehoney

I was there and if you look carefully near the left hand side of the screen about a minute into the video you will see an good looking guy with a blue anorak and red baseball cap waiting to take off with a yellow Mercury Matador- that's me.

Whilst I understand the point made about authenticity it should be remembered that we do not all have access to the wide open spaces available for flying in Canada. In the UK where space is more restricted and environmental (noise) considerations are often an issue with local residents many of us would simply not be able to fly at all if we stuck rigidly to IC. Indeed there are reports of clubs who have lost their flying fields because of the noise issue.

With the rapid improvements of all things electric over recent years there are no disadvantages in using electric propulsion, indeed there are many advantages.
Stan Rose is offline Find More Posts by Stan Rose
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:45 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
Stan - may I suggest that you read my post once again?

I made no mention of authenticity, of any noise issues nor advantages and disadvantages. I merely commented that - to my eye - an electric motor replacing an IC engine just didn't look right. Nothing more.

As for the 'wide open spaces' available for flying in Canada .. it would be good to know where they are. Certainly not in Ontario, since the last old airfield went under the plough - I used to drive a total of 5 hours just for a day of trimming there ; I now make a 500 mile round trip, some three times a year, into New York to be able to fly at a moderately sized airfield - Geneseo. Ontario, outside urban sprawl, is forest, bush, water or agricutural land, especially high corn (maize) - the 'wide open spaces' in central Canada are zillions of acres of wheat, etc. There are probably less than a hundred dedicated F/F'ers active across the continent, only a few of which are into competitive flying - again, largely outside the country.

Be grateful for your active SMAE (sorry... bmfa) and SAM programmes, with so many events annually available to flyers; you're more fortunate than you think you are. I miss it greatly even after almost 30 years away from it all.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:01 PM
UK
Joined Dec 2003
542 Posts
Quote:
I merely commented that - to my eye - an electric motor replacing an IC engine just didn't look right.
Jim,

In making my comments I was really not intending to start an argument about the pro's and con's of IC v Electric but merely to point out some of the reasons that have conrtibuted to the growth in Electric flight this side of the pond in many areas of our hobby including Vintage.

However in reaching your view you presumably have a reason(s) that have influenced your thinking. It would be interesting to understand what they are. To my mind tidying up the front end of some designs makes for a distnct improvement and the use of modern electric motors does often make this possible, but I quite understand that not everyone would agree with me

I am sorry to hear about the paucity of flying sites in Canada. It does seem rather odd when you consider the massive size of the country!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:31 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
Stan ... where have I questioned the growth of electrics within the hobby? I repeat, I merely said that, to me, an electric motor in the nose of a vintage model .. where I've been accustomed to seeing an IC engine for up to 65 years... just doesn't look right to me. A personal opinion ... just that, nothing more I am at a loss to understand why such gives you cause to raise other unrelated points of contention.... as far as I'm concerned the matter is closed and perhaps we can go forward into this thread amicably. Cheers!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:36 PM
UK
Joined Dec 2003
542 Posts
O.K. - that's fine. I hope that you continue to enjoy your flying and that the weather in Canada is better than it is here at the moment. Happy landings!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:07 AM
Southampton ,England
Joined Oct 2006
770 Posts
Good video Mick, even if the music is so relaxing you could die listening to it!

( Thats just my authentic opinion and not open to further questionning as to why!)
adamtc is offline Find More Posts by adamtc
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:26 PM
UK
Joined Dec 2003
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtc View Post

( Thats just my authentic opinion and not open to further questionning as to why!)
Er... Why not?