Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:48 AM
United States, SD, Sioux Falls
Joined Jun 2011
89 Posts
Discussion
Unsticking a seized carb

I was pretty proud of myself in tearing down a seized TT gp42 and cleaning a 10 minute bench run years ago leaving a freely turning motor. (YouTube is great)
I am still very new to the hobby and this is my first attempt.
However the carb is seized solid. I have it soaking in the garage right now in fuel....(though it is very cold out there) will that do anything or do I need to rinse it and apply heat?

Or what is the best way to save it rather than buying a new one?

All advice is appreciated to get this motor back running

Steve
dragonsm is offline Find More Posts by dragonsm
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,514 Posts
They don't seize unless damaged. It's just gummed up with oil. Soak it in fuel or alcohol and work it open and shut. It will free up.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:28 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
895 Posts
Put the carb in hot (not boiling) water for a while then try to move the barrel while it's still hot.
Don't forget to use gloves!

Once you have it apart, cleaned, dried & operating o.k. make sure you re oil it to prevent corrosion. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:30 AM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
I agree with datsunguy. It's most likely just gummed up oil. It can make it seem like its seized. Alcohol will work and so will heat. I've had luck with heating them up with a hair dryer.
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,514 Posts
Yup, heat is a good idea
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:39 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,815 Posts
Heat the carb body with a cigarette lighter (remove any plastic parts first), and the gum will soften right away.....

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:53 PM
Transplant in 1996
United States, NE, Scribner
Joined Aug 2011
195 Posts
I am greatly influenced by the heat method, But have found in the last 2 weeks. Using my crock-pot/antifreeze method has worked the best. I have rebuilt 13 engines and flying 12 of them presently. That's when it gets above 50 degree's here in Nebraska.
Transplant92 is offline Find More Posts by Transplant92
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:27 PM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2008
315 Posts
If your carb is like that on my OS 35, then this is how I pulled my seized (gummed up) barrel out.

I put a few washers with internal diameter bigger than the outer diameter of the throttle barrel, such that the washer holes are over the barrel and the washers seat on the carb itself. On top of these I put in smaller washers that do not pass thru the large washer holes, but with with internal diameter smaller than the head of the throttle arm screw.

Then screw the throttle arm screw back in, and keep turning. The barrel slowly gets yanked out as you turn the screw tighter. It works a bit like a screw jack. As the barrel comes out, I keep adding washers and continue to screw the barrel out.

I did heat the carb a bit with a heat gun, not much, before doing this. Not sure if that contributed anything, but the barrel came out real easy.
DL8698 is offline Find More Posts by DL8698
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:33 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,451 Posts
Another for the crockpot method. It not only frees it up, but cleans it too. I just did this to an old OS .91 surpass that was on a swapmeet plane. Rebuilt and back in service.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:43 AM
United States, SD, Sioux Falls
Joined Jun 2011
89 Posts
Thanks for the reply's.

I got home last night after leaving it sit in glow fuel for a day and nothing......

Figured since it was sitting in fuel, the next step I'd try is the hot water....(and then go the heat route after that) Tossed it in a pail of hot water.....no sooner than 30 seconds later I pulled it apart. It was gummed up beyond all belief.

Cleaned it up have it back together and it works...

One question I have about the crock pot method....what do most do with the antifreeze after a cooking? Can you pour it back into the container and use it again or proper disposal?

Thanks,

Steve
dragonsm is offline Find More Posts by dragonsm
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:55 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,451 Posts
I use it 3 or 4 times then go to the recycler.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:33 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsm View Post
Thanks for the reply's.

I got home last night after leaving it sit in glow fuel for a day and nothing......

Figured since it was sitting in fuel, the next step I'd try is the hot water....(and then go the heat route after that) Tossed it in a pail of hot water.....no sooner than 30 seconds later I pulled it apart. It was gummed up beyond all belief.

Cleaned it up have it back together and it works...

One question I have about the crock pot method....what do most do with the antifreeze after a cooking? Can you pour it back into the container and use it again or proper disposal?

Thanks,

Steve
I just leave it in the crockpot, turn the pot off and put the lid on. That way I am ready to go for the next application. You can not use the crockpot for anything else after putting anti freeze in it. Anti freeze is toxic.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:57 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,546 Posts
Carb

Use a heat gun and some oil. Heat real good with prop on engine. Holding unto prop heat all the way round to whole carb. Shoot oil and move slowly. Unless damaged it will work free. Hair dryer will not get hot enough or hot water. Heat gun get hot and be careful. You had engine running before so its just gummed up. Lube carb inside and out any any part that moves.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04