HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:25 AM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,588 Posts
Got this coming for $60. Need some help with switching it on and off. I can see the picture there is a switch diagram. Can one of you tell me which pins I'm adding the switch too and is it a regular on/off contact switch?

Thanks
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Last edited by Liberty10; Jul 19, 2014 at 01:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2014, 07:26 AM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,151 Posts
I can't see the diagram clearly enough in the picture. But you can see that there is already a jumper installed in that connector. It may be configured to turn on immediately when you plug it in. So at least you could start using it without needing to do anything else.

And if you choose to add a switch, the diagram should tell you which pins you need to connect. There will likely be almost no current flow through the switch, so you could use whatever size switch you wanted.

I haven't installed a switch on any of my supplies. When I want to use them, I plug them in. No worrying about where to mount the switch or anything.

Which charger is this for?
RedOctobyr is offline Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Old Jul 19, 2014, 01:54 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
3,588 Posts
Pretty sure I'm going with the 406. I'm not going bigger than 30cc on electric so this will work nicely for me. Eventually I'll get a decent generator too.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 05:09 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
3,588 Posts
How would I go about wiring this for 240V? Line voltage on the top 2 and neutral on the bottom?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 05:58 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
Pretty sure I'm going with the 406. I'm not going bigger than 30cc on electric so this will work nicely for me. Eventually I'll get a decent generator too.
Nice.

I'd encourage you to consider sharing the PS info in the Duos thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1801512

At least from the specs, this could be a nice option for 308Duo/406Duo users, if more of these are available online.

Plus this thread here is for a specific, different PS.

I don't know about wiring it for 240V, if you mean with US wiring. There are different types of 240V. In the US, we do it by using opposite hot phases of the 120V coming into the house. In Europe, they have a single hot 240V wire, plus a neutral. The terminals on the supply would be easy to figure out if wiring it "Europe style", with a single hot 240V wire. I'm not an electrician, I don't want to guess about how to wire it in the US. There are some knowledgeable folks in the Duos thread; if you don't get an answer here, they may be able to help.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 06:43 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
3,588 Posts
I started looking at this thread because I was going to build one of them and bought from solid hobby's instead. Still works great but I don't want to risk an iCharger. I haven't had great luck with electronics lately so I'm trying to use the KISS method. lol, BTW, I was only asking here because it was here that I read about the TDK - Lambda, wasn't trying to hijack the thread so sorry, and I really appreciate your help. Made it real easy for me to decide this was a good choice at least for now.

Oh and thanks for the link.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 02:05 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined May 2014
35 Posts
i was actually about to purchase a pair of dell 7000814's or NPS-700ABs when i happened upon this thread. do you guys still recommend the DPS-600PB over these?

i plan to run a 24v power supply for a single powerlab 8 v2.
franknitty69 is offline Find More Posts by franknitty69
Old Yesterday, 02:46 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
747 Posts
No, if you plan to run the pl8 at max 1400W. With headroom, there are better options out there, since you'll need 4 of these for proper pairing.

If you're just going 6s lipos max, that's 1000W so 2 of these would be borderline.
rchelijc is offline Find More Posts by rchelijc
Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,151 Posts
A pair of 12V, 900W, 75A DPS-1200FBs might be worth considering.
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined May 2014
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
A pair of 12V, 900W, 75A DPS-1200FBs might be worth considering.
thanks. i just picked up a pair of DPS-1200FBs from ebay. $45 shipped.
franknitty69 is offline Find More Posts by franknitty69
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
How would I go about wiring this for 240V? Line voltage on the top 2 and neutral on the bottom?
Voltage on top two and ground on bottom.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM
Joined Jul 2014
38 Posts
Ok so as I have three of these things, the 600's and I am only using two... I do have one charger that can operate at a higher voltage. I would like to do this.

So if I am getting this correct here.. The reason you "float" the DC ground on the 24V side is so the cases can touch and the one that is not grounded actually is still grounded from the 12V side case it is touching? I honestly don't quite understand the point of this. The only thing I can think of is because you are taking positive output from the 12V case and attaching it to the Negative of the 24V case so that would maybe be an issue? I really don't get it.

However, if I have this right..

There is that screw that everyone isolates using some of that rubber stuff or whatnot just so the board is not touching the case, then you just cut those two little tabs on the left side so that connection is broken and that is about it? They can touch and everyone is hunkey dorey?

In this video he shows what I am talking about, skip to about 6:20 into the video.

Thanks!
PapaGeno21 is offline Find More Posts by PapaGeno21
Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,146 Posts
This thread explains all.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...issues&page=40
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Yesterday, 11:32 PM
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Sep 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGeno21 View Post
Ok so as I have three of these things, the 600's and I am only using two... I do have one charger that can operate at a higher voltage. I would like to do this.

So if I am getting this correct here.. The reason you "float" the DC ground on the 24V side is so the cases can touch and the one that is not grounded actually is still grounded from the 12V side case it is touching? I honestly don't quite understand the point of this. The only thing I can think of is because you are taking positive output from the 12V case and attaching it to the Negative of the 24V case so that would maybe be an issue? I really don't get it.
The important point you are missing is that the AC ground pin is also attached to chassis ground on both supplies by default. As a result, if you tried to power up both supplies in series, without floating the second DC ground, the +12v from supply one connects to the dc ground of supply two (and the chassis ground) and you now have a dead short from that +12v back to its own ground (when both ac power cords are connected). The cases never need to touch - they are effectively touching each other via a Y power cord or even if they are both plugged into your house ac outlets (via the house ground wiring).

You technically COULD also fix this by cutting the ground pin from the ac socket on the second supply, but this is VERY DANGEROUS! NEVER EVER ever do it this way! AC chassis grounds should never be bypassed! This way if a failure in the supply caused line voltages to touch the chassis it would be shunted to ground and trip a breaker (hopefully).

Hope this explanation helps!
spiff72 is online now Find More Posts by spiff72