Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:18 AM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Well I really have to say:

THANKS Everybody!!!!!

So let me start:
saabguyspg
If I didn't had both in my situation I would be DOA! About the other frame I'm asking in my head for the last couple of weeks if the Ritewing zephyr 2 wants to be my Valentine!? of course in the companion of the FY31AP.

NorCalMatCat
Yes, I'm following your story in another thread and studied your layout, but it was to late, because I already had the pod on the mail... for me your journey was my goal, because you have a simpler setup, you are still using 2.4Ghz, with a great range and you are using the thermals with your bixler, that's just great!

czorzella
I totally understand your pain about the prices and the time it takes for something arrive, also you didn't complain about the customs service in your country, because almost any Brazilian talks about them!
If you check the photo with the name "The OSD" a few posts back you will notice that all the electronics connects to 2 connectors, because of this I will need to make everything new again. But when I started with the bixler I first tried almost as it came from the factory, and it did flown great! The modifications that I had was the 2 servos in the tail the reinforcements, the RX in the back of the plane, the motor mount and the motor that I knew I was using in the present day. So after that experience I don't intend in going back, to much time consuming, and the flying season is already ending, it would be easier to buy another bixler.
Anyway your setup photos are welcome!
Muito obrigado pela tua ajuda, aparece mais!

rotorheid
I need 100% the www, for all the hobbies that I have.
The space that you have inside that belly is insane! I wish everybody had all that space... But I also think that you need a hangar and not a home for that plane anyway nice build and some great ideas with your ground-station!
By the way, great videos I really liked the "Monster Puddle Twin take off practise".

All the best,

Geotete
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:02 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
854 Posts
Geotete

These are some photos of my Bixler build.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342666792.171706.jpg
Views: 177
Size: 25.6 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342666804.713805.jpg
Views: 120
Size: 8.6 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342666817.019732.jpg
Views: 118
Size: 13.9 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342666829.744559.jpg
Views: 97
Size: 9.4 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342666844.836269.jpg
Views: 102
Size: 11.8 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342666858.588456.jpg
Views: 92
Size: 9.4 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342666870.813440.jpg
Views: 87
Size: 10.3 KB
Description:
czorzella is offline Find More Posts by czorzella
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:11 AM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by czorzella View Post
Geotete

These are some photos of my Bixler build.
Your idea is great!
In the bottom I have some fiberglass and the CF reinforcement, but I will give a look.

Thanks,

Geotete
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I like that bottom compartment. That's a lot of equipment to shove into that plane. Will it all fit without any interference?
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I have a few questions about the FY31 that I hope you guys can help with. I initially set up the unit last month and everything seemed to work OK. I finished building the plane, Skywalker, and installed the GPS high and in the front. The FY31 is essentially at CG in the fuselage bay. Sitting on the bench, after appling power, both lights come on but every 2-3 seconds the unit makes all the control surfaces vibrate. I have detached everything and started from scratch twice, reset the GPS twice and it continues to act up. Any ideas???
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Jan 2012
854 Posts
Maddmax, please clarify if you have the FY31AP connected the RX when testing it on the bench. If you do, remove the RX from the circuit to isolate the environment and reset gyros; then connect one servo at a time to different channels of FY31AP. Hopefully you be able to either identify faulty servos, FY31AP channels or the RX itself.

Please let us know how It goes.

Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
I have a few questions about the FY31 that I hope you guys can help with. I initially set up the unit last month and everything seemed to work OK. I finished building the plane, Skywalker, and installed the GPS high and in the front. The FY31 is essentially at CG in the fuselage bay. Sitting on the bench, after appling power, both lights come on but every 2-3 seconds the unit makes all the control surfaces vibrate. I have detached everything and started from scratch twice, reset the GPS twice and it continues to act up. Any ideas???
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Jan 2012
854 Posts
Maddmax, it fits quite nice inside the belly and CGs perfect without adding lead weight. I've removed all the electronics because I'm replacing the original RX with a Spektrum 12020 (12 channels) and I'm taking the chance to implement the flaps mod. Hopefully I'll get it all reassembled this weekend and then I'll post some more photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
I like that bottom compartment. That's a lot of equipment to shove into that plane. Will it all fit without any interference?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:06 AM
Australia, VIC, San Remo
Joined May 2010
882 Posts
Hi Guys,

Had a lot of very enjoyable hassle free FPV flights with the 31ap.

The only issue I have is the current sensor is not quite accurate and as I push out further and longer flights my power managment is getting more critical.

Is there any way this can be calibrated?
damoz is offline Find More Posts by damoz
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:12 AM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
It as the FY31AP I am using.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:26 PM
Neal
Christchurch, NZ
Joined Nov 2004
154 Posts
Fy31AP with six servo glider

I want one of these to make my glider safer (5m scale). But from what I can tell, you can only connect up three servos, elevator, rudder and aileron. My glider has two aileron servos and two flap. Ideally the FY31AP would have six servo channels and a couple for switches.

Thoughts? Is there some way round this?

Thanks, Neal
HotAir2 is offline Find More Posts by HotAir2
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:33 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAir2 View Post
I want one of these to make my glider safer (5m scale). But from what I can tell, you can only connect up three servos, elevator, rudder and aileron. My glider has two aileron servos and two flap. Ideally the FY31AP would have six servo channels and a couple for switches.

Thoughts? Is there some way round this?

Thanks, Neal
FY31AP doesn't do flaps... I assume you are saying you have your ailerons on 2 channels... is this because you do flapperons? Otherwise a Y harness would work just fine, I do not know if the FY31AP can handle flapperon type setup though... I do know it can be programmed for elevrons and v-tails, but I dunno about flapperons.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:07 PM
Neal
Christchurch, NZ
Joined Nov 2004
154 Posts
Forgetting about flaps for a second, there's two separate channels for Ailerons. There is differential set up so the elevator going up moves a different distance to the one on the oppoiste wing etc. They are coupled to flaps, and then there's crow for slowing it down.

So FY31AP is really only good for models that have ONE servo for aileron?
HotAir2 is offline Find More Posts by HotAir2
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAir2 View Post
Forgetting about flaps for a second, there's two separate channels for Ailerons. There is differential set up so the elevator going up moves a different distance to the one on the oppoiste wing etc. They are coupled to flaps, and then there's crow for slowing it down.

So FY31AP is really only good for models that have ONE servo for aileron?
Saying 1 servo is not quite correct... as none of my planes have just 1 servo, and not even just 1 channel either as it supports elevrons... I just don't think it's possible to do any advanced mixing like that...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:23 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
What type of glider?

Hi HotAir2,

Neal, if you have 'switched' mixers for your "Crow Landing" set up, or any other switched mixers, you could use the FY31AP. It really depends on how much spare capacity or channels you have on your radio TX.

Control logic and philosophy: The fy31 does not care how many servos you have, or what it is installed in. It deals with stability and navigation. You tell it "Here is my datum, move the pitch, yaw and roll outputs to maintain this datum."

So, if your scale glider can fly with pitch, yaw and roll commands from your TX, the FY31 can stabilise it, and navigate it.

The Functions available from FY31 are TX switch selectable:
1. RC mode: you fly with no FY31 influence.
2. ABM mode: you fly and FY31 stabilises, when you have finished your TX inputs.
3. NAV mode: FY31 has full control, you can go for a coffee, while it navigates to it's stored waypoints in sequence.
4. ACM mode: FY31 has full control and will fly continious pre-set circle radius, could be problematical for thermalling as it maintains a GPS location and will not go with the wind drift.
5. RTL mode: FY31 has full control and will fly back to your initialized start/launch point and then circle in acm mode when it gets there.

Here's the $64,000 question, Can you adapt your rc TX switchable outputs to match the requirements. i.e. Can you configure your TX so that, you can enable a normal flying mode, with all your mixes, crow, ail/rudder mix, etc, and another switchable mode for FY31 enabled flying?
This would give you both options. I use Graupner/JR radio and it is extremely versatile at this kind of stuff, unfortunately, it depends on the capability of your own radio system.
Another possibility is to use Rudder and Elevator only connected to the FY31, if your glider is stable enough and can be controled with just two channels, connect the rudder servo to the aileron output of the FY31, it works.
Hope this helps in some way.

Cheers,
regards to all,

Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Last edited by rotorheid; Jul 23, 2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
I don't see how you are going to get the FY31AP to play nicely with the ailerons doing CROW... For one how are you going to tell the FY31AP to control 2 channels of ailerons, rudder, and elevator, it's more channels then the FY31AP can handle by 1....
RCG Plus Member