HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:45 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
610 Posts
Dave,

That makes it better than cnc! I dont want one, I need one!!!

Brandon
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:55 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,043 Posts
Greg,

Your on the short list. Wait, there is no list! I'll be in touch when it finally actually becomes a glider. 5 more molds to build before I even get a chance to play with this mold.

Dave
Shaper Dave is offline Find More Posts by Shaper Dave
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:44 AM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,971 Posts
More information for the P5 Thermal ship ?
Kai@UCSB is online now Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:39 AM
Stangely Spinning in a Circle
Salisbury, MD
Joined Sep 2002
566 Posts
Dave,

If there's a non existence list, please put my name somewhere behind Greg's.

Chris Rose
Griphon is offline Find More Posts by Griphon
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:22 AM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
434 Posts
Please, I want to be on the list!

I currently fly 2 of Dave's creations: a P4 and an Arrow Legend DLG.

I got the P4 off the groups, and it's a great TD ship - flew it in my first TD contest and got all my LSF I landings that day! I also placed 2nd in unlimited, keeping pace with the moldies. So when Dave ran a batch of DLGs I went for it - my Arrow is a flying work of art and it flies just as well.

OK - I'll stop now, but Dave's skill and craftsmanship are incredible and I can't wait to fly his latest creation!

Martin
MMR is offline Find More Posts by MMR
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:09 AM
USA, TX, Mansfield
Joined Aug 2004
313 Posts
Dave,

I've gotta have one as well. Love your craftmen ship as well. My Arrow 2 Sport recently had a mishap as I abused it on a little highstart (5lbs pull) in 10mph wind with flap. Had an awesome ping until the wing Taco'd...

Absolutely phenomenal craft. Next plane is a Mystress... right Paul?

Rob
onemetre is offline Find More Posts by onemetre
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:19 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,418 Posts
Just what I needed, I'm going to go for it this winter on some non-production work.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:31 AM
Come out swinging
San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
2,650 Posts
How did you decide on the airfoil and planform? I won't ask what sections you used.

Also, Why is the trailing edge former so close to the TE? Usually, you see the back of the mold several inches away from the actual TE, like a shelf of sorts.

Until recently, all of the molded models we fly were from tools produced in the same way. This is a great way to do it. I would argue that nobody would be able to detect a diminished flight characteristics in a wing pulled from a moldset like this, versus CNC routed molds. If you spend alot of time polishing, I bet the difference would be visually undetectable as well.

I want to see the mold layup sequence as well.

Sean
sporter is offline Find More Posts by sporter
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:12 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,600 Posts
Great work Dave. This takes me back to a molded XP3 experiment I did many years ago.

On the CNC thing, nobody will argue the accuracy of a CNC wing versus hand shaped. Whether that accuracy is NECESSARY or not is a whole different debate.

My resin channel is right at the TE so the thick splooge doesn't have far to travel to get out of the wing. If you make it travel too far, it may choose to go back inside the flapperon instead (path of least resistance) and it doesn't get trimmed off that way, but lives on as weight in the TE of the wing... the worst place for it.

Subscribed for sure.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:40 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,043 Posts
Humm, those non existent list get filled up real quick!

The wing is a Legend wing smoothed out with more panels towards the tip. Normally the Legend is a 3 panel per side wing and I think the plug has 6.
I have been real happy with its performance and handling as a bagged wing and not wanting to go to far removed from proven performance this is the next increment in the design evolution.
Im using the same templates and planform just smoothing out the leading edge.

Tom's thread over in the Composites forum is great and full of info on molding and using a self made CNC machine. Very nice Tom!

Here is a shot of the Trailing edge trough. Just how Tom explained it. I used Corian for the strip. Great stuff for making molds. I use it for my bent joiner molds for TD ships. Tom made his wing molds from this material.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:55 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,600 Posts
Dave, did you thermoform the corian in the TE? Just curious.

...and thank you btw. That thread is getting a bit old but I plan to do a new one later this winter. You're one of the guys who has inspired alot of my building ideas along the way.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:30 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,336 Posts
Not to over-simplify or belittle things at all, but more or less is the Ghost going to be a "modernization" of the Legend? Meaning it will be a Legend that has a moulded wing, one piece fuse, and foam tails?
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:34 PM
Spins With Gliders
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Aug 2005
1,820 Posts
.. and to follow on... will the aileron control mechanisms be the same?
djensen is offline Find More Posts by djensen
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:10 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,043 Posts
The Ghost is the next step in the Arrow evolution. Taking the best of the Legend
and going to the next step. Molded wing, 1 piece fuse and even better fairing to fuselage junction.
The tails will be bagged as I don't think I can mold a light tail with out a CNC cutter to cut the cores. A few of you have the foam tails I made before shutting down.
I was planning on going with the original TDS in the wing but may go with RDS instead to free up space for ballast.
Here are some shots of the fuse plug and mold I did early this year.

Dave
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:13 PM
Spins With Gliders
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Aug 2005
1,820 Posts
I'd vote RDS. While the torque rod was clean, I was never able to get the flap throws where I wanted them.
djensen is offline Find More Posts by djensen