HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:32 PM
Plainfield, IN
Joined Sep 2004
269 Posts
I hit 90amp peaks with mine. I would spend the money and get the 100...

Lou
TK421 is offline Find More Posts by TK421
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:51 AM
Yury
Россия, город Москва, город Москва
Joined Nov 2010
96 Posts
Just came up with an odd idea. Does anyone used glow engine on the 3dhs 57-59" planes? Are there any glow engines that could provide the same power as hacker a40-10s?

Yury
uraplayer is offline Find More Posts by uraplayer
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:33 AM
Russian Federation, Moscow
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
I have hacker A40-10S + CC ICE 75A in my Slick... Can you share settings for ICE which is best for work...
Swelll is offline Find More Posts by Swelll
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:56 AM
gal
Joined Sep 2009
98 Posts
is it good as a secend stage one this will be my first 59"
dose it lend slow
can it lend dedstick ?
thanks
gal is offline Find More Posts by gal
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:53 AM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraplayer View Post
Just came up with an odd idea. Does anyone used glow engine on the 3dhs 57-59" planes? Are there any glow engines that could provide the same power as hacker a40-10s?

Yury
I know a 3DHS team pilot did a 55" Edge a few years ago but I can't find his thread. I think his real name is Jerrod but can't think of his screen name. You can post in the fanatics thread and someone might remember him and have that thread bookmarked.

He had to rebuild the firewall to move it back and reinforce it but Ben flew that planes for a couple of years.
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:56 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOne View Post
Do I need the Ice 100 with the motrolfly motor or can I get away with the Ice 75 ESC? I ask because I have a 75 laying around.

Doc
If you go with a DM4315-480 and run off 6S instead you could But the 4S setup really needs the ICE Lite 100 I think
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Finally! Durafly Junior Review
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,571 Posts
Watt meter readings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
If you go with a DM4315-480 and run off 6S instead you could But the 4S setup really needs the ICE Lite 100 I think
Thanks for your input on the ESC. What are your Watt meter readings at WOT on your setup? Looks like the 100 Amp ESC will give you more than enough overhead.

BTW, your build thread is helpful. I expect to incorporate some of the techniques, tips, and information when I put my 59" Slick together. I plan to initially run a "light" 4S set up on the 59" Slick with a Motrolfly 3620-750 and later go to a "heavy" 6S set up with a Torque 4016T-500. When I go to the "heavy" set up will I need to move my rudder servo to the tail of the plane in order to get a neutral to slightly nose heavy CG on the 59" Slick?

Please describe the flight envelope of the 59" Slick. I am especially interested in how it tracks and rolls compared to the 57" Extra 330SC.

Thanks for your help and expertise!
Trill is online now Find More Posts by Trill
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:24 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
268 Posts
New 59" Slick owner!!

I just got my Slick in yesterday and opened it up today. I have started a build thread here... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22886869 ...so please follow along and point out any mistakes I may be making. This is my first 3d Hobby Shop plane and only my 3rd or 4th ARF build, I have been flying foamies lately. I have been following this thread and am about 65% through it. I have already learned tons from this thread and hope to learn more! I am still learning 3D and I am excited to fly this plane after reading all the raving reviews everywhere about it!
PlaneCraz3d is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:55 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Thanks for your input on the ESC. What are your Watt meter readings at WOT on your setup? Looks like the 100 Amp ESC will give you more than enough overhead.

BTW, your build thread is helpful. I expect to incorporate some of the techniques, tips, and information when I put my 59" Slick together. I plan to initially run a "light" 4S set up on the 59" Slick with a Motrolfly 3620-750 and later go to a "heavy" 6S set up with a Torque 4016T-500. When I go to the "heavy" set up will I need to move my rudder servo to the tail of the plane in order to get a neutral to slightly nose heavy CG on the 59" Slick?

Please describe the flight envelope of the 59" Slick. I am especially interested in how it tracks and rolls compared to the 57" Extra 330SC.

Thanks for your help and expertise!
Thanks for the compliments! Glad to know I can be of help

I'm not quite sure what my watts are at WOT. I recall someone saying it's around 1500W which is plenty powerful The ICE Lite 100 certainly gives decent overhead and doesn't add too much weight compared the 75

With regard to the 3620-750, I remember reading around here that Ken from SubSonic Planes issued a statement saying that motor isn't quite adequate for super hard 3D, saying it can't quite take the stress. Additionally, I remember also reading people regretting just not going to the DM4315 range in the first place, which Ken said can take brutal 3D (and I can see why, it's built like a tank! ). If you do go with the Torque, you won't need to put your rudder in the tail. In fact the lightened DM4315 range is I believe the exact same weight as the Torque and for that you don't need the rudder in the tail. The pull-pull system seems really nice and relatively easy to setup (my build thread doesn't explain it particularly well as to how to set it up as I think the manual does a fine job of doing so ). The cables are nice and strong and only stretch a bit after the first week or so of flying (so you will need to retighten them a few times). To be honest, I would skip the Torque. I don't think I'm in particularly good authority to say this but I'll make the assumption the Motorfly DM4315-480 for 6S is better than the Torque. The build quality on the Motorfly seems better than the Hacker A50-6XS in terms of toughness and I believe the 6XS is similar to the Torque. If you do go with the Motorlfy 480, if you ever go with an EF 64 MXS, 60 Edge, 60 Extra, etc. you could put that motor on those (the 714 is apparently slightly anaemic on those with those models being a bit heavier than the 3DHS 60" models) and you could use the same batteries all around Also the power is I quote 'crazy' on the Motorlfy 480 on this model So that means you could have the same motor and batteries for all your 60 models. Just something to consider for the future

As for flight characteristics, a few people don't like this model. I've flown the 42, 51, 59, and 71 Slick. I can honestly say the 59 feels the most different. The 71 feels like a big floaty 51, and the 51 feels like a big and floaty 42. So logically you could say the 59 should feel like a big and floaty 51 and it does to some extent but it also feels different. It feels in my opinion more refined than the rest (it is the latest Slick design anyway). It just seems to track really nice and harriers so well. I've heard the 57 Extra is more fun, more "huckable" as it were. However, for technical stuff, I think the 59 is probably better. I think the 59 looks the best too with the slightly redesigned colour scheme and the great looking cowl I just really love the 59, feels like a really good quality plane

Hope this helps!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Finally! Durafly Junior Review
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:51 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,571 Posts
Interoperability of Motrolfly 4815-480 with different airframes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Thanks for the compliments! Glad to know I can be of help

I'm not quite sure what my watts are at WOT. I recall someone saying it's around 1500W which is plenty powerful The ICE Lite 100 certainly gives decent overhead and doesn't add too much weight compared the 75

With regard to the 3620-750, I remember reading around here that Ken from SubSonic Planes issued a statement saying that motor isn't quite adequate for super hard 3D, saying it can't quite take the stress. Additionally, I remember also reading people regretting just not going to the DM4315 range in the first place, which Ken said can take brutal 3D (and I can see why, it's built like a tank! ). If you do go with the Torque, you won't need to put your rudder in the tail. In fact the lightened DM4315 range is I believe the exact same weight as the Torque and for that you don't need the rudder in the tail. The pull-pull system seems really nice and relatively easy to setup (my build thread doesn't explain it particularly well as to how to set it up as I think the manual does a fine job of doing so ). The cables are nice and strong and only stretch a bit after the first week or so of flying (so you will need to retighten them a few times). To be honest, I would skip the Torque. I don't think I'm in particularly good authority to say this but I'll make the assumption the Motorfly DM4315-480 for 6S is better than the Torque. The build quality on the Motorfly seems better than the Hacker A50-6XS in terms of toughness and I believe the 6XS is similar to the Torque. If you do go with the Motorlfy 480, if you ever go with an EF 64 MXS, 60 Edge, 60 Extra, etc. you could put that motor on those (the 714 is apparently slightly anaemic on those with those models being a bit heavier than the 3DHS 60" models) and you could use the same batteries all around Also the power is I quote 'crazy' on the Motorlfy 480 on this model So that means you could have the same motor and batteries for all your 60 models. Just something to consider for the future

As for flight characteristics, a few people don't like this model. I've flown the 42, 51, 59, and 71 Slick. I can honestly say the 59 feels the most different. The 71 feels like a big floaty 51, and the 51 feels like a big and floaty 42. So logically you could say the 59 should feel like a big and floaty 51 and it does to some extent but it also feels different. It feels in my opinion more refined than the rest (it is the latest Slick design anyway). It just seems to track really nice and harriers so well. I've heard the 57 Extra is more fun, more "huckable" as it were. However, for technical stuff, I think the 59 is probably better. I think the 59 looks the best too with the slightly redesigned colour scheme and the great looking cowl I just really love the 59, feels like a really good quality plane

Hope this helps!
Yes, your analysis is helpful. I have the 51 Slick and the 71 Slick. Please elaborate on how the 59 is different fom the 51. I'm particularly interested in how it feels more refined. Losifanatic wrote that the 59 is like a refined 57" Extra 330SC.

"http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1713694#post22883666 post #13 gives a 3DHS Team member's analysis of the difference between the 57" Extra 330SC and the 59" AJ Slick.

The discussion of the Motrolfly 4315-480 is spot on.

Thanks for sharing!
Trill is online now Find More Posts by Trill
Last edited by Trill; Oct 08, 2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:58 AM
KI4KRA
United States, NC, Spring Lake
Joined May 2005
81 Posts
I am looking at purchasing a Slick and being my first larger electric plane, is there an advantage to using the separate BEC than combining the ESC and BEC on the CC 100 Lite?
Ogrestud is offline Find More Posts by Ogrestud
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:42 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,175 Posts
Yes.....larger servos draw more amperage....especially if they are digital servos....If you used an ICE100, you would at least have the heat sink to help alleviate heat produced by the ESC and BEC....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:37 PM
Carpe Fermentum
United States, VA, Clifton
Joined May 2008
89 Posts
OK,
I went with the Mortrofly 4315-714 and Ice Lite 100 amp. All is good.

However I went to order some Gens Ace 4S 3800 or 4000's and of course Hobby Partz is out of stock on both (even though they showed in stock).

Recommendations for inexpensive 4S-3800 or 4S-4000 batteries? I would prefer something in the $40-50 range as opposed to the $100+ battery range.

Doc
DocOne is offline Find More Posts by DocOne
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:46 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,348 Posts
60c 4s 3700 mah for $59.99
4s 3700 mah
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:56 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOne View Post
OK,
I went with the Mortrofly 4315-714 and Ice Lite 100 amp. All is good.

However I went to order some Gens Ace 4S 3800 or 4000's and of course Hobby Partz is out of stock on both (even though they showed in stock).

Recommendations for inexpensive 4S-3800 or 4S-4000 batteries? I would prefer something in the $40-50 range as opposed to the $100+ battery range.

Doc
Haven't tried them myself, but I hear the Glacier Lipos for EPBuddy are good... I know that Ben Fisher has said he likes them, and that's good enough for me!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...