HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:19 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
e_Im_70

How bout a T-45 in 90 mm. It's a "top Gun" (same as Fly Fly I think ) My son earned it from Efflux Gary... It has a 6 cell set up and electric retracs We hope to maiden it this Sunday. It is a BIG hunk of foam
Wow

Almost 1.4m of EDF foammy ... old style EPS ... but nice ... Made by Graupner is also a good sign ... unfortunately discontinued now

Anyhow ... not sure I would go for it ... I have no runway ... I can only hand launch ... or only few meters of white narrow path in the field ... just enough for my big 3D

e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:00 AM
To Have & To Hold
Joined May 2010
100 Posts
The MIG-15 is a blast to fly. Upgrade ESC to 30A using stock EDF motor/fan unit for 4S1P 850mah - it's a squeeze at the front but you'll manage. It's loud! Enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
anyone currently flying the 50mm Mig-15 ? i'm flying the T-45... just like the Mig-15 for my next 50mm edf
Percivale is offline Find More Posts by Percivale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:34 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
47 , sorry to see that but i have to tell u , the pilot get the honorable mention for staying on the throttle after , was that a bounce? what a cowboy!

chuck.
LOL- That was me on the sticks and the guy tossing it is an MD-11 / 1:1 captain.

The 4S nano stated a ridicously high discharge rate of 90C . Going try a 1300 4S 35 today. I'll underhand toss it myself with a much lower AOA. See what happens.
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:20 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,631 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]

Here are my 3 choices on the menu today for the re-run of the Katana.

1).4S 850mah Nano-- failed to provide enough power yesterday
2) 4S 850mah 65C Genesis(BH) - suspect it will act like # 1
3).4S 1000mah Nano

I'll start with #3. If that doesn't work, I'll probably look to put in the stock motor and go with 3S like the rest of the squadron.

Will re-look at CG and will hand launch myself. The AOA from my friend was too high.
Last edited by dahawk47; Nov 17, 2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:26 AM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
397 Posts
Hawk,

Don's assesment on the hand launch was right on IMO. It was weak, notice the tail rotating on release. Not good when combined with a positve launch angle like that. This is why I usually decline when someone else offers to launch for me, you really have to be concious of what your body parts are causing the plane to do during the release.

As far as power, there seemed to be sufficient for at least sustained flight. The plane just never got the chance to get enough air speed.
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:24 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
[I'll start with #3. If that doesn't work, I'll probably look to put in the stock motor and go with 3S like the rest of the squadron.

Stock motor and fan on 4s is quite nice, I would do that before going all the way back to stock 3s.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:58 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,972 Posts
Not knowing the history of each lipo, #3 sounds the best option but the real story can only be told by putting those lipos on a watt meter and run for 10-20 seconds full throttle and see what the lipo does. Many people do not realize how easy it is to ruin a C rating on a lipo by "overdischarging". I have found for EDF that "overdischarge" on lipos is an at rest voltage below ~3.5 volts per cell, once you hit that you will have loss of C rating within a few more uses. I then mark those packs and use in my prop planes which pull less amps. I use a timer on my EDFs to help prevent running too low. If these lipos you have are all brand new then they should not have this problem. But it is something I have issue with customers from time to time when they use lipos they already have laying around.

I had one customer who got ~250 watts on fresh charged 4S lipo he said the motor was defective I asked him to give a watt reading, he did not have one, so sent me the motor fan and lipo and when I tested it the lipo sagged to under 3 volts per cell under load, with a good 4S it was over 400 watts on 4S. The issue really arises from ESCs being set too low on LVC. many ESC are set to 3 volts or lower per cell) so if you fly to LVC just one time (or close to it) you most likely have ruined the lipo for EDF usage as the 40C lipo gets knocked down to 20C.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:14 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,957 Posts
hawk , +1 on dons take. w/ the correct battery the thing will rip. imo , the launch was the biggest problem, it had all the signs of the "held behind the cg twisting shove".

correct cg, a good battery and as u say the underhand grip in front of the cg and it will be off. with the kind of thrust the wicked/wemo makes u dont need much of a throw. good luck .

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:17 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,605 Posts
A video of a Katana airframe that we built up and powered with a Wemo/HET combo that Gary at EffluxRC sent over. The HET 240-15-6 is a brushless inrunner and makes about 300 watts in this system. We fed ours with a Thunder Power Pro Power G4 3S 1750mAh.The Wemo Micro is nice and smooth ... a nice upgrade over the stock system for sure.

EffluxRC Powered Sky Angel Katana 50mm EDF SportJet (3 min 0 sec)

We are working on a complete article on the Screamer and Katana, complete with upgrade options and info. I hope to wrap it up soon.
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,103 Posts
Hah... get the new RC-lander 10 blade 50mm fan for that
Katana and zoom zoom around with a great sound ... :-)

4S, and 27A, 650 gr of thrust on the Katana.
what do you want more ???

flylow2011 is offline Find More Posts by flylow2011
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:59 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow2011 View Post
Hah... get the new RC-lander 10 blade 50mm fan for that
Katana and zoom zoom around with a great sound ... :-)

4S, and 27A, 650 gr of thrust on the Katana.
what do you want more ???

You saw that also, didn't you? I do hope to soon try out one of Tim's new fans in a Katana!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:25 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,631 Posts
Well,

Gave the Katana another go today after yesterday's debacle. Good news to report but unfortunately, there was no-one to run my i-phone camera.

Installed the 1000mah 4S nano , moved it forward and mounted the rx upright along the firewall. Balanced much better and made a world of difference. Launched her underhanded with less AOA this time. Perfect. Only had a couple clicks of down and she trimmed-out nicely. Flew on high rates and she's still a little too twitchy for my liking but will add-in a little more aileron expo. Was gusty today.

Overall, IMO , the Katana is an easy flier not much unlike the T-45 and even the Phase 3 F-16 which flies on rails. Probably not going to set any speed records but that's okay with me. When I want speed, I pull out my Rare Bear. She's very maneuverable with the rudder but I haven't tried anything crazy yet. Not sure if she will flat spin.

On the QC site, the paint job is awful. Flakes off way too easily.

The 4800kv Don's set up is a very good option for this plane given the fact that you need a decent 4S lipo of at least 1000mah. Had my doubts initially but I can now highly recommend. The little 850 4S Nano cube doesn't cut mustard IMO. She needs and deserves a decent 4S battery.

If the weather holds I will give her another go tomorrow and try to get some footage.

I'm a happy camper again!

-Hawk
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:41 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,972 Posts
Glad to hear you got it going! The wemo fan unit really likes a thrust tube on it as the stock outlet diameter is too large. You may want to add that later on to gain some speed.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:45 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,920 Posts
Great video Jon. 300 watts makes that Kat MEOW
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:31 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
yes...i did set the esc to recognize the throttle limits. i am using a 3s 1000mah 40c batt. it simply will not take off ?

chas650r....just referred to this as i have noticed some are using a 4s for the stock power

tried hand launching at full throttle......it just belly flops out 40 feet
I've flown my two with stock fan / motor / ESC and 3S 1300 LiPo's ... take off from tarmac and hand launches no problem.
The 4S upgrade is purely for us who like a bit more speed !

Have a look at my videos at Youtube channel : solentlifeuk ............. there are take-offs with Stinger wheels etc with 3S .... plus the upgraded 4S later vids.

It's worth listening to the EDF sound ... if you are not getting similar scream - then there's not thrust enough.

Try this ... get a digital kitchen scale ....... stand model on nose on scale ... zero the reading ... now open her up to full throttle ....

Stock gear should give you about 240 - 280 gram thrust with stock size LiPo
Better C rating 1300 or greater 3S LiPo will up that to about 340 grams
4S LiPo will give 450 or more grams ...

If you are not getting above figures - then somethings wrong. (Above are measured figures of both my 50mm T45's at stock).

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife