HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2005, 03:17 AM
Joined Aug 2005
107 Posts
Tt Fm1-e

Hi to all,

This is my first RC bike so I need suggestions on what upgrades I should get first . Just picked up the bike at the LHS at a bargain price$150. Didn't expect such a good deal, so now I've got xtra cash to dump on it. I was thinking of going CF for the frame. Found one on Ebay made by Extreme Racing. Are they any good? I also want to change the bike body. I'm going for the Honda REPSOL paint scheme. Its prepainted Blue. Any suggestions on where I can get a clear set? Also Can I use a standrd srvo for steering?

Thnx
zumzum5150 is offline Find More Posts by zumzum5150
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2005, 03:49 AM
newcastle Australia
Joined May 2004
667 Posts
zumzum5150,
you can get parts including the clear bodywork from gregor at

http://www.rc-motorradshop.de/produkte/fm-1e_yamaha/

The site's in German but just e-mail him for price and availability and he will e-mail back. Then just pay via paypal and he ships items.

Steering servo.. yes you can use a standard one. Personally, I went for a metal geared servo for extra assurance.

Eden
test driver is offline Find More Posts by test driver
Old Aug 20, 2005, 03:52 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
welcome zumzum,
the first thing id get is some new tyres! the std ones suck! getting some pmts or grp's will completley transform the bike i shouldnt worry about cf frames yet as you'll take quite a few tumbles when u start out and they break fairly easily (apart from motorbikemikes apparently www.drpbikes.com. ) so id save that till u get used to it abit, a new shock would probably be the next thing id get (nuova faor std shock works well) dont know if a lauterbacher shock would fit ill try it abit later i use the std servo (plastic gears) because no shock gets put through the servo (the springs damp it out) but this is down to personal taste me thinks and mount the lean bars higher up and further back because as std it levers the front wheel off the floor making it understeer and run wide
this is what i done with mine:
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Last edited by mark675; Aug 20, 2005 at 05:04 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 01:05 PM
Joined Aug 2005
107 Posts
TD thanks for the link. couldn't stop droolin over all those upgrades/option. To bad can't read German. I spent time tryin to see if anything looks remotely english so that i can email them. No luck there! I also wondered if they dlverd to the US. The MG and stock servo thang is still a toss up. Need to make up my mind soon so I can get this thing running. thnx

To Kneeboy,

Your advice is greatly apreciated and will be used. I will skip the CF frame. However, I thought of picking these up at CNR. Please tell me what you folks think

DerlinTop frame
Steering shock
Bike tripples
Prohub and sprocket set
Derlin Bearing housing
PMT tires
rear shock

http://crazynutracing.com/

I'm also thinking of picking up the front brake kit. But how does work? On my HPI savage truck, turing the small nob on my M8 activates the 3rd servo for reverse, at that point the savage is facing da wall or tree completely stopped. I'll need another set of hands to activate the servo handling the frt brakes while the bike its running.

BTW the GRP site is under contruction.

Again, big thnx to those that take time to read and reply back..
Old Aug 20, 2005, 02:25 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
the steering shock would eliminate any headshakes you might get so is probably worth getting especially if you plan to race it,
the bike tripples are also a good idea because the std plastic ones can snap in a crash (mine did )
pro hub and sprocket set would save abit of weight because theres no need for bolts to hold the sprocket on and top speed will increase because theres 25 teeth on it instead of std 26 but acceleration would not be as quick.
pmt tyres would make a very big difference to the way the bike handles, corners and goes so these are defenatley worth getting,
the shock would be better than the standard tt one but if the lauterbacher one fits the fm-1e id go for that instead (better made and works better aswell)
id leave the delrin (plastic) parts out for the moment though while your still practicing, they are very light but dont stand up to crashes very well and will probably break ending your fun
i would leave out the nuova faor front brake aswell and get some of 'pats brakes' (do a search on pats brakes and send him a private message)
theyre alot better than the others. the front brake works by having two servos, one for steering and one to pull the cable for the brake when you pull the tx stick back, thats what double stack servo plates are for: to hold the two servos
hope this helps
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Last edited by mark675; Aug 20, 2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 02:46 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumzum5150
Hi to all,

This is my first RC bike so I need suggestions on what upgrades I should get first . Just picked up the bike at the LHS at a bargain price$150. Didn't expect such a good deal, so now I've got xtra cash to dump on it. I was thinking of going CF for the frame. Found one on Ebay made by Extreme Racing. Are they any good? I also want to change the bike body. I'm going for the Honda REPSOL paint scheme. Its prepainted Blue. Any suggestions on where I can get a clear set? Also Can I use a standrd srvo for steering?Thnx
Welcome to the forum, zumzum! Great deal on your bike. My 0.02 on upgrades for new bike owners:

--New tires (GRP or PMT)
--dual spring steering setup with a steering damper
--7000wt oil in the stock rear shock
--relocate crashbar holders like Kneeboy said. With the FM-1e (at that price I'm assuming that is what you got) you will want to replace the plastic crashbar holders with some alum ones with set screws from the TT Ducati.

Go out and run it. Bend, bust, and scrape stuff up, work on your chassis setup, and then once you feel reasonably in control of it, start putting all the other stuff on if you still want to.

PS: Here in the States, ehobbies.com is the best place to get stock replacement parts, including clear bodies (R1 and 999 only). Internet-rc.com carries the NF body kits as does CNR.

Where in the US are you?
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old Aug 20, 2005, 03:02 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumzum5150
I'll need another set of hands to activate the servo handling the frt brakes while the bike its running. ..

Actually you just need a y-cable to attach the second servo to the same channel as your ESC so that when you hit the brakes... your ESC brakes the rear wheel and at the same time activates the servo to pull the front brake cable(s)

and you may need a servo reverser in case the servo arm moves in the wrong direction when you apply the brakes... I have an extra (thought I lost one so I ordered another...then found the first) but they work great
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Aug 20, 2005, 03:13 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,674 Posts
I just noticed... Internet-rc.com is carrying the new NF steering damper... hmmm I might have to try that...

$32.95
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Aug 21, 2005, 11:43 PM
Canada, BC, Sparwood
Joined May 2002
267 Posts
does anybody know where I can get the instruction manual online for the fm-1e?
thriller is offline Find More Posts by thriller
Old Aug 22, 2005, 01:28 AM
Julianadorp. the netherlands
Joined Feb 2005
614 Posts
Hi zumzum

see you followed the link to this forum . youre welcome.

and about the site of gregor schinner http://www.rc-motorradshop.de/

you can mail in english to him no problem and he ships worldwide.
fast and reliable .
Red Bullie is offline Find More Posts by Red Bullie
Old Aug 23, 2005, 12:22 AM
Joined Aug 2005
107 Posts
Hey Guys,

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone that contributed there time in replying back to my questions. I just completed sanding and painting the frame. I also placed an order earlier this morning with CNR and GS Racing for the tires. However, I was shocked to read that a few of you were having problems with CNR. I had read the topic right after placing my order with them. I'm crossing my figers that the items I ordered will arrive next week. As everyone can see, I went with the dual linkage setup for steering. How big of a difference is this setup compared to that of the single linkage+dual spring and shock dampner in terms of controlability?

I also wanted to share a previous hobby of mine. Yes, that's a 49CC pocket rocket. tinkered with the motor and gutted the internals for peak performance.I was clocked at 36MPH. I use to race amongst friends but to many spills on the tarmac stopped any dream of me becoming a Pocket bike racer. LOL.... I'll definately keep you guys posted on how things work with the TT. Steve

BTW: Any racers
around the Vallejo. Ca area. I'm 30 minutes away from San Francisco.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 12:03 PM
RCMCC.tripod.com
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2003
2,321 Posts
I haven't run the double steering rod method before, but it is different than what I usually see it setup. It should have only one spring per rod if you do it that way.

With the way you have it, it is similar to a single rod setup with two springs each. But with two rods with two springs each the steering head might be too stiff and the steering is twitchy and less stable.

The more play, the better, than as you get good move the collars in to increase response.

I would recommend you try ditching one rod and going with the single rod/two spring approach first, since you've set it up that way already.

Ian
grymg is offline Find More Posts by grymg
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:26 PM
School: Rochester, NY
Joined Apr 2003
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grymg View Post
I haven't run the double steering rod method before, but it is different than what I usually see it setup. It should have only one spring per rod if you do it that way.

With the way you have it, it is similar to a single rod setup with two springs each. But with two rods with two springs each the steering head might be too stiff and the steering is twitchy and less stable.

The more play, the better, than as you get good move the collars in to increase response.

I would recommend you try ditching one rod and going with the single rod/two spring approach first, since you've set it up that way already.

Ian
Really old thread, I know. I recently picked up an FM1e roller after regretting the sale of my first one 10 years ago. It looks like CNR is no longer in business which is a shame. I'm looking for at least a front brake kit. Does anyone know if Pat is still around? The e-mail provided on this thread no longer works and it seems he hasn't been active here. Thanks. And if anyone has a brake kit for sale, let me know.
Would the Nuova Faor brake kits work? I'm not sure about parts interchangeability.
yf22k is offline Find More Posts by yf22k
Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yf22k View Post
Really old thread, I know. I recently picked up an FM1e roller after regretting the sale of my first one 10 years ago. It looks like CNR is no longer in business which is a shame. I'm looking for at least a front brake kit. Does anyone know if Pat is still around? The e-mail provided on this thread no longer works and it seems he hasn't been active here. Thanks. And if anyone has a brake kit for sale, let me know.
Would the Nuova Faor brake kits work? I'm not sure about parts interchangeability.
Holy vintage thread Batman.

Check fully ebay. Many things on the Noava Faor bike fit the TTfm1e I believe.

Kevin
www.RCMCConline.com
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H