HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2013, 03:59 PM
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2001
92 Posts
Discussion
Blade400-throttle problem-any thoughts??

I'm new to this level of RC heli and just bought a' flown once' blade400. Have set up new Futaba 7c radio with newbie curves...
throttle curve 0-75%
pitch curve 65-85%
blades are balanced, swash is level, pitch is 3-7 degrees...
everything seems right,have power up to half stick, but then it wont go any higher. It just seems to level off at that half stick point.
I've tried different motors, esc's, radios...still no joy. The heli gets to a point where it seems to want to lift off the ground, but just wont do it. It sounds like the rpm doesn't increase over half throttle. The weird part is that with the blades off,I can hear a rpm increase after half throttle, but not with the blades on.
Am totally baffed, as are my friends. Any thoughts about what might be the problem. any help is greatly appreciated.
wayner
Wayner is offline Find More Posts by Wayner
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2013, 05:25 PM
United Kingdom, England, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Dec 2012
1,234 Posts
hi what happens if the throttle curve goes up to 100 you can still run a low pitch but you need head speed a lot use 0-50-80-90-100 throttle get the head speed right then adjust pitch to how you like to fly there is also a lot of flyers that use idle up to fly so that will be running 90-100 most of the time hope that helps
holtneil is online now Find More Posts by holtneil
Old Oct 02, 2013, 05:26 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
TAKE THE BLADES OFF!

Then, reverse the throttle channel. Futaba does it wrong, so you have to reverse that channel on most systems when using Futaba. But seriously, take the blades off before you do that!
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 02, 2013, 06:02 PM
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2001
92 Posts
I moved the throttle curve to 0-50-80-90-100 %, but it didnt help the problem. I then tried to reverse the channel 3 and two of the motor leads, but then it wouldn't spin at all...thanks for the thoughts, but still baffled....
wayner
Old Oct 02, 2013, 06:30 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Why in the hell would you be reversing motor leads? That has nothing to do with the radio signal. Don't change two things at once.
Old Oct 02, 2013, 08:39 PM
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2001
92 Posts
Hey jasmine2501...I didn't change two things at once. First, I tried reversing the channel on the tx. Wouldn't spin at all. So then I thought I try switching motor wires. Still no spin...wayne
Old Oct 02, 2013, 10:23 PM
Joined Aug 2003
612 Posts
almost sounds like pitch is reversed, there are no swash mix settings listed .
see 3-7 listed as p range ,p initally in wrong direction is common when going blade to futaba .did you buy new lipos for this ?
mdugas is online now Find More Posts by mdugas
Old Oct 03, 2013, 11:11 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Almost sounds like a broken ESC maybe. Switching the wires shouldn't have any effect, the motor should always run. The direction of the radio channel has nothing to do with that.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 11:31 AM
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2001
92 Posts
The pitch is in the right direction. The helicopter is trying to lift, it almost gets off the ground. It just doesn't seem to have that little bit more RPM. The swash is set at 50% for al, rdr and pitch.
The esc that is in the heli right now just came out of a working heli. I've also tried 3 other esc to no avail.
thanks for all the ideas....
wayne
Old Oct 03, 2013, 02:33 PM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,202 Posts
one thought have you calibrated the esc and throttle range. throttle at high stick plug in heli and then lower throttle stick. just something to try .
skyeblu is offline Find More Posts by skyeblu
Old Oct 03, 2013, 11:16 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeblu View Post
one thought have you calibrated the esc and throttle range. throttle at high stick plug in heli and then lower throttle stick. just something to try .
I was thinking the same thing. This happened with my new Blade 500. I set the throttle curve to 0,25,50,75,80, and adjusted the throttle curve which made the ESC think that 80% was full throttle and threw everything out of wack. You said you tried various ESC's but you can set it linear and give it a shot.
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Oct 03, 2013, 11:23 PM
Joined Aug 2003
612 Posts
a qiuck video ,show close up of roterhead before spool up would help. if you can grab the
main gears and hold them still and still turn roter head by hand then theres the problem
sheared main gear bolt another common problem .roter head cant get to rpm
so roter head on spool up ,doesnot fly up and off heli
mdugas is online now Find More Posts by mdugas
Last edited by mdugas; Oct 04, 2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2013, 02:10 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,234 Posts
this may be silly but if you are running 3-7 deg pitch at what throttle setting if that's at low pitch will be to high at 3/4 and you wont get head speed and you said revs come up if no blades on , try this pull two wires off the motor so she cant spin up then go in to pitch on trans and go in to idle up mode the move throttle up to mid stick display on trans will show when your at mid stick now set swash plate to 0 deg now when that's done check the swash is level now when you throttle up and down you should have a good pitch range , now go back to normal mode and look at pitch what you need is about -2/-3 degs of pitch with no throttle this is so in the wind you can get heli down if its more than this go in to trans and change pitch curve so you get this -1/-2 will be good in normal mode for a beginner. now give the heli a spin up see if she flys if not you can change throttle curve to give more revs lower on the stick or change pitch to give more lift if you use pitch and your below 50/50 on the stick, as you throttle down heli will drop faster than you may like so you will need to play with it , one last thing don't the blade come with a book that gives you setting for trans I know its for a spekrum but will give you guide lines to work to sorry long message I hope it help let us know please kind regards neil in uk
Old Oct 07, 2013, 12:36 PM
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2001
92 Posts
Well ladies and gentlemen, I think we found the problems. There was a binding/bearing issue in the tail and the main gear bearing housing was cracked, allowing some touching of the gear to the chassis. All these together caused a big drag and loss in RPM. We replaced the tail rotor assembly and put in a new main gear and she spins up fine now.
I do want to thank you all for the help and suggestions you provided.
Wayne
Old Oct 09, 2013, 10:01 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,234 Posts
well done Wayne glad you got it sorted happy flying mate