HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:01 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2013
43 Posts
Discussion
HK 70amp red brick

hi, just installed one of these but even after programming i am only getting 1 then 2 beeps when it goes live. i am using a 4s nanotech and was expecting a cell count beep. any ideas
anthonyexeter is offline Find More Posts by anthonyexeter
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:25 PM
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,015 Posts
Throttle at 0?
Throttle trim at 0?
Throttle movement in correct direction? Up = more throttle.

When testing, I'd remove the prop till you got it working correctly.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:34 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2013
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Throttle at 0?
Throttle trim at 0?
Throttle movement in correct direction? Up = more throttle.

When testing, I'd remove the prop till you got it working correctly.

oh it all seems to be working ok, just wondered about the start-up beeps..

usually get a cell count but not getting it on this one
anthonyexeter is offline Find More Posts by anthonyexeter
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:44 PM
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,015 Posts
Apparently, this might be a settable option. Looking at these instructions, I'm glad I don't have to figure it out.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2X53414X59.pdf
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:49 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2013
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Apparently, this might be a settable option. Looking at these instructions, I'm glad I don't have to figure it out.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2X53414X59.pdf

yeah i have done the programming as the instructions say.. chinglish is awesome on these instructions.

it all appears to be working i was just a bit concerned about the arming tones.

am used to a cell count but this is only beeping 2 times.. not really sure if this one does a cell count beep.. was hoping someone else had used one..
anthonyexeter is offline Find More Posts by anthonyexeter
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 07:28 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyexeter View Post
hi, just installed one of these but even after programming i am only getting 1 then 2 beeps when it goes live. i am using a 4s nanotech and was expecting a cell count beep. any ideas
The HK range of Red Brick ESC's I use .... 30A various up to and incl,70A .. all give beeps for cell count.

But they need careful setting of throttle ... Trim all way down .. Throttle Full ... power up ESC ... get beep ... disconnect ESC ... off TX ..

Throttle to idle, switch on TX .. power up ESC ...

I had one that worked even though throttle range wasn't set .. sounds similar situation to what you have ... another motor didn't work. Did the above and both fine.

The other fact is they don't like Thrott Cut when plugging in ESC... the ESC fails to initialise ... but switching Thrott Cut off .. takes a few secs and then ESC sets up.

Once throttle range is sorted - trim can be put back to middle.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:40 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2013
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
The HK range of Red Brick ESC's I use .... 30A various up to and incl,70A .. all give beeps for cell count.

But they need careful setting of throttle ... Trim all way down .. Throttle Full ... power up ESC ... get beep ... disconnect ESC ... off TX ..

Throttle to idle, switch on TX .. power up ESC ...

I had one that worked even though throttle range wasn't set .. sounds similar situation to what you have ... another motor didn't work. Did the above and both fine.

The other fact is they don't like Thrott Cut when plugging in ESC... the ESC fails to initialise ... but switching Thrott Cut off .. takes a few secs and then ESC sets up.

Once throttle range is sorted - trim can be put back to middle.

Nigel
done that, still only get the musical kinda beep followed by 2 shortish beeps.

bloody thing
anthonyexeter is offline Find More Posts by anthonyexeter
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:56 AM
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,015 Posts
Check the battery. What is the voltage?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:03 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2013
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Check the battery. What is the voltage?

yeah, voltage is fine. reading 16.8v so fully charged.

spins up fine with plenty of thrust, no watt meter but almost pulls my bloody arm off so no worries there, just confusing about the beeps.

does anyone else own or has anyone used a hk 70amp red brick, the one with onboard bec.. not the opto.. if that makes any difference to the beep codes..
anthonyexeter is offline Find More Posts by anthonyexeter
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 09:44 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyexeter View Post
yeah, voltage is fine. reading 16.8v so fully charged.

spins up fine with plenty of thrust, no watt meter but almost pulls my bloody arm off so no worries there, just confusing about the beeps.

does anyone else own or has anyone used a hk 70amp red brick, the one with onboard bec.. not the opto.. if that makes any difference to the beep codes..
I thought my post indicated ... yes I have and do use 70A BEC ESC as well as the Opto version ... in fact I like the Red Bricks and use them in many sizes ... even on my twin 'Beast' Parkjet ...

Unfortunately I am travelling at moment and cannot confirm the beeps ... but as far as I remember and I have the manual here on my computer - there is a recognition beep sequence for cell number ...

I have a feeling that one of my 70's only gives beep sequence when programming .. once set - it only acknowledges initialisation ....

I did find that one of my Red Bricks worked with my Turnigy Program card ! Honest !

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 09:51 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2013
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I thought my post indicated ... yes I have and do use 70A BEC ESC as well as the Opto version ... in fact I like the Red Bricks and use them in many sizes ... even on my twin 'Beast' Parkjet ...

Unfortunately I am travelling at moment and cannot confirm the beeps ... but as far as I remember and I have the manual here on my computer - there is a recognition beep sequence for cell number ...

I have a feeling that one of my 70's only gives beep sequence when programming .. once set - it only acknowledges initialisation ....

I did find that one of my Red Bricks worked with my Turnigy Program card ! Honest !

c

Nigel
cool, will be interesting to find out . i have the manual thats on the HK website. although the one i have has nothing about the arming sequence, just awful chinglish on the programming side of things.

just wondering, if the 2 beeps does indicate its only sensing 2 cells, would it actually run up like it does? really wanna go out flying but a little concerned until i can confirm one way or the other.

cheers
anthonyexeter is offline Find More Posts by anthonyexeter
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:18 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,458 Posts
I assume you have the attached file ? I've uploaded the other 2 Rec Brick manuals as well ... just in case you want for later lesser ESC ...

To be honest ... I get a new ESC ... I connect up ... set throttle range and that's it - never really play with or pay much attention to them.
If throttle works - I fly. Never had any problem.


Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 01:03 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2013
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I assume you have the attached file ? I've uploaded the other 2 Rec Brick manuals as well ... just in case you want for later lesser ESC ...

To be honest ... I get a new ESC ... I connect up ... set throttle range and that's it - never really play with or pay much attention to them.
If throttle works - I fly. Never had any problem.


Nigel
yeah thats the pdf i had too.. my only problem was the battery chart. the sub menu 1.1 is for 2-7 cell, my 70amp is 2-7 cell but then there are 2 different charts for the 70amp neither of them cover 2-7 cells.

i went off the first one.
anthonyexeter is offline Find More Posts by anthonyexeter
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:34 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,458 Posts
Do you get smooth throttle range response when powered up ?

Do you get full throttle ?

Do you have any hesitation when throttling or moving any stick ....

If you answer

YES

YES

NO ....

Then stop worrying ... Red Bricks are not like HW ESC with fancy programming options - they are basic budget ESC that works ... Go fly !! I would.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Problems with new HK Red Brick 30a esc, wrong part? johnwohl Power Systems 21 Nov 30, 2013 07:31 PM
Sold HK Red Brick 70 amp esc X2 lashmett75 Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 4 May 19, 2013 10:27 AM
Sold HK Red Brick 100A ESC (opto) Keenan smith Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Feb 14, 2013 03:15 PM
Discussion HK's 80 amp RED BRICK (Heli) 57_KID Power Systems 0 Jul 06, 2012 05:17 PM
Discussion Probs programing HK Red Brick kushal_22 Electric Plane Talk 5 Feb 23, 2012 10:53 AM